View Poll Results: When did or do you plan to start solids?
Earlier than 4 months 2 1.59%
4 months 5 3.97%
5 months 11 8.73%
6 months 39 30.95%
Later than 6 months 69 54.76%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-08-2008, 09:04 PM   #1
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I don't wanna start solids!?! (semi-long)

(dd is 4.5 months now, just so ya know) So, dd has started spitting up some lately, doc thinks it's reflux, wants me to give her rice. i was excited about it at first, but then got really frustrated with it and im much happier just putting her to the boob when she's hungry. she gags on the rice and just tongues it back out for the most part anyways. i did it on and off for about 2 weeks and have completely stopped now for over a week...but all my in-laws, not just the MIL, but uncles & aunts are heckling me over it, saying i NEED to keep at it - she's gotta start eating real food, not just nursing. The other doc we saw at dd's 4 month checkup bf'd both her kids and has a 2 mo old currently and even told me the same thing - keep working with her...maybe try a few veggies since she's not taking the rice well, so i tried and she does the same thing...... i should've spoke my peace then and said i want to ebf til 6 months (for her sake & mine - im not ready to give up the strictly boob routine either), but i didn't... idk - i really wanna wait - cuz i just don't think she's ready - but everybody hassling me over it is stressing me out soooooo bad I don't know what im asking here and saying really, dh is supportive of me wanting to wait... but my MIL keeps telling every1 that she's super concerned about dd's weight - she's 13.5 lbs @ 4 months - somebody she works with has a 2 mo old grandson thats 13 lbs already - so she thinks im like starving dd or she's got something wrong with her - even tho the doctor says she's growing at a steady/healthy pace and she's the picture of health, MIL just ignores that info and basically tells me i need to take her back to the docs and get a 2nd opinion or something... UGHHHHHh!!! can you understand my frustration? anyone? i just need some support/advice..... tia mommas!

Advertisement

Celia -Wife to Garrett. WAHM to Reese (5) & Brooke (3). EDD for #3 11-17-2013.
duck411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:09 PM   #2
jacksmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I don't wanna start solids!?! (semi-long)

Too bad! You're the mama. They got to raise their own children how they want, you get to raise yours how you want. IMHO 4.5 months IS too young for any solids, she should be EBF! I EBF'd a little past 6 months before I started solids and DS still wasn't quite ready. He was ready at about 7 months and now is a chow hound and eats almost anything I offer, and still nurses very well.

You are doing great mama, and your instinct is right. I say stop bothering with the rice, ignore all the "helpful advice" from your family and go with your gut. Next time MIL starts in on you, just be non-committal.

MIL: "She needs to be eating more, she's not getting enough!"
You: "oh do you think so?"
MIL: "Yes my friend blah blah blah"
You: "that's interesting"
MIL: "You should blah blah blah!"
You: "Thanks for your concern"
MIL: "In my day we blah!"
You: "thanks for sharing that with me."

Becca - Mama to DS, 08/07 and expecting DS#2 12/09!
jacksmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
Edensmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I read in a few books that introducing rice earlier than 6 months has been linked to food allergies! My DD had reflux too. It's so frustrating. We just put a ramp-like pillow under her to elevate her as much as possible.
By the way, my 6 month old weighs 14 lbs. and our pedi said it was just fine. So tell MIL to back off! Babies come in all different sizes!
Edensmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:13 PM   #4
jacksmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here's a great resourse to arm yourself with some info for MIL. And honestly I'd switch my pedi if they were pushing solids on such a young baby.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html

Here's a quote:
"The following organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (not the first 4-6 months):

World Health Organization
UNICEF
US Department of Health & Human Services
American Academy of Pediatrics
American Academy of Family Physicians
American Dietetic Association
Australian National Health and Medical Research Council
Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
Health Canada"
Becca - Mama to DS, 08/07 and expecting DS#2 12/09!
jacksmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:15 PM   #5
topazdodge
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started both of mine at about 5-5 1/2 months, but I wanted to wait to 6 months. If you can do it, wait until 6 months. Trust your instincts! You are the mama!

Free Crochet Longies Instructions Here
topazdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:22 PM   #6
Dolphin_Medic
Registered Users
seller
seller

I may be harsher than others, but tell your MIL to shove it where the sun don't shine.

Ok, I have MIL issues, now that I'm done with that.

DD is almost 6 months, at 4 months the ped recommended we try foods. She has no issues like reflux. We tried rice and the end result was a screaming child. So we stopped for 2 weeks, when we talked to the ped for an unrelated issues, she again pushed us to restart the solids. This time we tried oatmeal at just under 5 months and she did great with it, she loves how it squishes in her fingers, and how it smears in her hair and in her ears and her nose...and allll over her belly. But she doesn't have much interest in eating it. We offer it regularly, but we don't push. We do the same with avocados, and sweet potatos. We've taken the approach of just introducing her to new flavors, if she goes for it, great if not then so be it. She gets her primary nutrition from BM. Several people (including my ILs) have given us grief saying we're going to create food issues because we're not giving her more foods and we're going to slow. By the way, DD at 4 months was at 14 pounds and near the 70th percentile.

Follow your gut feel, if you don't think you're ready, then don't feed her until 6 months, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that at all.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:28 PM   #7
selinajean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is not safe to be feeding her solids yet, your instincts are right. And she is telling you that she is not ready yet by repeatedly pushing the food back out.

We tried at 6 months but he did the same thing/ He had no interest and just gagged on everything and spat it out. He started solids on a regular basis at 8.5 months. He is however, on the higher end of the weight chart so there was no concern with his weight.
That being said, if you are not concerned with her weight, then don't sweat it. It doesn't matter what your inlaws think. She is your baby and her well being is your main concern, not theirs.

NickNaks - Become a Fan on Facebook for news and updates.
Grand Opening coming soon! Use earlybird20 for 20% off until the grand opening bash!
Also on dotCA!
selinajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:31 PM   #8
jenanglin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm so sorry you have to go through all of this. Its really nice that your husband is supportive of your decision, that can really make or break you from going over the edge.
Waiting until your baby is a little bit older is a good idea! You are giving her so much more nutrients through breastmilk than you would through rice cereal. In the long run waiting another month and a half is not going to make any difference in her eating habits. In fact, waiting until your baby's body is ready will improve her future digestive health. She'll have a much less chance of food allergies and gastro intestinal problems, like heart burn.
If your baby is having reflux, breastmilk is best for her stomach and solids will be even more difficult for her to handle (I've heard this from numerous pediatricians, but its been a while so I don't know who to cite). Keep sticking to your intuition and wait!
I know there are many reasons not to start too early, I'm sure some other mommas will offer more advice. =)

Wife to the best husband ever, T, and Mommy to, C '05, A '08, E '10, I '12, and N '13.
jenanglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:31 PM   #9
Ruiz'sPieces
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my first babe i fed her as soon as the books said you could at 4 months. i had to put her on formula at 6 months as she was not getting enough from the boob. my second babe i gave her only boob until she was 7 months and now at 15months she still gobbles up the boob. the 3rd time around i think i am going to wait till at least 7 months, for me that was the best way.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:32 PM   #10
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I found some great links on kellymom on delaying solids and on extended bf'ing - im going to be sending my MIL a "polite & informative" email with the information included, so maybe she'll understand where I'm coming from, but also state that I will not tolerate her "im the grandma overtures of my parenting". I don't want to be mean or argumentative - i just want her to know the facts and, of course, how i am going to parent my child - which includes delaying solids until she's ready, whether it's 4 months or 8 - and bf'ing till she self weans, whether its 13 months or 3 years.
Celia -Wife to Garrett. WAHM to Reese (5) & Brooke (3). EDD for #3 11-17-2013.
duck411 is offline   Reply With Quote