Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2008, 08:25 AM   #1
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Blog post about breastfeeding

I read this blog occassionally and thought this post was worth sharing. It really makes me sad that so many women don't get the support they need. Obviously this midwife did all she could. Too bad the opinions of a few can ruin a beautiful breastfeeding relationship before it starts.

The Midlife Midwife - Breastfeeding Challenges

Advertisement

DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:20 AM   #2
ojessesue
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Blog post about breastfeeding

I just don't understand why some are so uneducated, especially working with babies all of the time! My nurses were great and very helpful with me nursing baby but my sister in law delivered at a different hospital where the nurses decided to give him formula because he hadn't "eaten enough." I just don't understand why the information isn't passed on. And then new moms are so nervous and vulnerable...breaks my heart.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:33 PM   #3
txmom72
Registered Users

My Mood:

I nearly cried at the end of the blog. How sad that some women don't trust in their body's abilities to nurture and feed their children.

How is it we get past pregnancy with these ideals?
txmom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:53 PM   #4
danigrace05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

not to highjack the thread but the nurses did the same thing to me when I was in the hospital with Malorie after she was born her blood sugar was slightly low due to the fact that I hadnt eaten since sunday and it was TUESDAY...so they gave steven a bottle that he had to feed her while i was finishing up with the csection ...he told them we were going to breastfeed but they said she HAD to have it I was soooooo mad but that was the only 2oz of formula she will ever have....
Old 06-10-2008, 05:23 PM   #5
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I totally at the end.
I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:56 PM   #6
angel95annie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This blog summed up my heart wrenching experiences I have had with a few friends. I have 2 friends that are no long BFing and it is due to well meaning WIC nurses that discouraged the mom's ability to produce enough milk. Holly was BFing great, no latch issues nothing! But she had a tiny baby that nursed all the time and never really "gained enough." I was so sad the first time I saw that formula. She wasn't starving, just not gaining enough, so Holly thought she just didn't produce enough. It's very rare for mom's not to produce enough.

My other friend Dolly had a really rough time and her story is even more sad. First, she had well meaning nurses that didn't teach her how to latch the baby on correctly, so she had a bad latch and very sore nipples. Then, her DD had jaundice and they gave her formula. This led to my friend getting mastitis. She tried to keep nursing at least once a day but that was a gradual weaning, not trying to keep BFing and now she is just on formula. She didn't have the support of LLL or a Lactation consultant. Everyone around her (except me) told her to just go to formula - its so much easier! I live 2 hours away or else I would have been there day and night helping her latch and encouraging her.

This is why I really want to be a LLL leader. The first few months are so exhausting and confusing and emotional. You need support and encouragement to drown out all the voices that tell you to just give yourself and break and give the baby a bottle.

I also wish that many well meaning nurses, and drs wouldn't push formula so much and would be trained enough to help BFing get better if it isn't going well.

Bloggin' bout my crazy life at Mama Dweeb!
angel95annie is offline   Reply With Quote