Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2008, 11:14 AM   #1
Tavie and Ellie's Mom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Ideas w/o oven

So our oven completely died the other day. We are having to wait since we don't have the $500 to get a new one right now We have been living off microwavable things, sandwiches, and cereal the past few days. Any ideas on what to make for dinner tonight without being able to use a stove at all? We also can't afford to eat out right now.

Advertisement

Old 06-10-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
jennylou
Registered Users

Re: Ideas w/o oven

Do you have a crock pot? A grill?
Old 06-10-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How about a george foreman grill? I love mine, it makes nice healthy meals in a short time.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:31 AM   #4
Tavie and Ellie's Mom
Registered Users

My Mood:

You ladies are brilliant! Why did I not think of those before? I think I will grill tonight and crock pot something tomorrow since it's supposed to be rainy.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:32 AM   #5
jennsmile
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmm...
Toaster oven?
Hot plate?
Crockpot?
Griddle?
Sandwich maker?
Foreman grill?
Rotessorie?

Do you have any of the above?
Jenn

PS I have been without an oven door and learned lots of skillet meals, and what not. It can suck.

Fort Hood Mama's check out LLL of Killeen
jennsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Also, This is what I did at work when I was pregnant. I would cut up some veggies (broc, carrots, sweet peas, peppers) and put them in a ziploc bag (you could put them in a covered container as well) with a bit of garlic herb butter (some crushed garlic and seasonings mixed with reg butter). Let that steam for a few minutes and meanwhile cut up some mozzarella and grape tomatoes. Once the veggies were done, I'd transfer them to a nice plate and sprinkle it with the cheese and tomatoes. It was a nice, filling meal and it didn't take too much to make.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
Old 06-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #7
zoies mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wraps are always a great idea. I use a rotisserie chicken (they are often on sale after5pm, and on Sundays near me), add tomato, lettuce, chese, sometimes avocado. Roast beef, cheese, red onion, horseradish sauce. I also like to cut up chicken, toss it with buffalo wing sauce, add lettuce, tomato, some cheese (whatever's in the fridge) and some ranch or bleu cheese dresssing for a buffalo chicken wrap. HTH, Good Luck!
Old 06-10-2008, 11:39 AM   #8
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dessert~ baked pears

four bartlett pears, peeled and cored with the stem intact
about a tablespoon of butter, melted
cinnamon
about a half a cup of sugar
vanilla ice cream

mix the butter and cinnamon. Put the pears in a microwave safe dish and spoon the butter mixture all over. Sprinkle the sugar over it evenly as well and cover with a paper towel. Cook on high for about 10 minutes and let cool. Remove the pears (carefully) and place in serving dishes. add a scoop of ice cream and pour some of the buttery sugary sauce over it. Enjoy.

disclaimer, I got this recipe from simple living? and I don't really remember exact amounts. My hands know how to do it, but my brain doesn't know how to explain it(hopefully you understand what I mean, lol)
Old 06-10-2008, 11:58 AM   #9
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I always wanted to try a tajine..... hmm. Your post resparked my desire! LOL
Old 06-10-2008, 12:05 PM   #10
mcbruhn
Registered Users

You can often steam stuff in a rice cooker. Electric skillets and frying pans are great. Some folks also have electric woks.

Boil water in an electric teapot. That way you can make couscous, bulgur, or other grains/starches that don't require a long boil.

Good luck!