Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2008, 08:51 AM   #21
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How much did your homebirth midwife cost if you paid out of pocket??

We are lucky in Ontario that it's covered by our Provincial health care just as a dr. would be, so nothing out of pocket. In NS, it was about $3000 when our 9yo was born.

Advertisement

Old 06-11-2008, 08:53 AM   #22
Sarahb44
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I found one in NC 2ys ago it was $2200.

Sarahb44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:53 AM   #23
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:

I can't remember with our first, but my current midwive's fees are $2880 and our insurance will only cover that 60/40 because there is a CNM that I could go to if I wanted but, she only does hospital births. If there weren't any in network midwives in my area they would cover it 80/20.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:02 AM   #24
logansmomma07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ours charges 3200, but gives discounts if you pay early and have visits at her office instead of home. We are paying about $1800, not including supplies. Insurance wont cover it without a big hassle, so we are paying ourselves
Old 06-11-2008, 09:14 AM   #25
rachel5
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinc View Post
if you decide to use the MW, that is if your dh gets on board, they will give you a super bill and you could submit it to your insurance on your own after the delivery and get reimbursed for the 80% which would be a great deal. And as for getting your DH on board, mine has always been a little skidish as well, but we rented the business of being born and watched it together and he was amazed at how much safer homebirthing is for most women than hospital birthing. Give that a try. The home births on the video are pretty calm and non-bloody/icky so it is helpful if your dh is squeemish with those sorts of things.

Kristin

Thanks! I do plan on watching the business of being born, I think they may help. I just think the rest of the family will make fun of us and tell us how unsafe it is. My other issue is I love my ob and feel guilty about not using him. He is wonderful. He has delivered my last 2 dc and did an awesome job. He was even willing to do a water birth but when in labor the hospital said no! (another long story). We have lots to think about. I did talkt insurance and I would just have to submit after baby is born to try and get the 80% back.
rachel5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:29 AM   #26
BlessedwithBlue
Registered Users
seller

My midwife charges $2700 for all prenatal visits, the birth, and post partum visits. Any labs or u/s are billed seperately by that facility to our insurance. Also we will have to get the birth supplies ourselves. Our midwife is a cnm, our insurance only covers cnm's and she has had patients that have ppo insurance have no out of pocket expense. We have an hmo though and she is out of network, there are other cnm's but they only do hospital births. She also does not bill your insurance. You have to pay her everything up front and then at the end she gives you the bill and you submit it to your insurance. I know some midwives do their own insurance billing.
BlessedwithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #27
serena22304
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my midwife costs 2300 and that includes all prenatel appts and 2 post appts.
I have to buy my own birth kit (of course she brings a ton of stuff), the stuff I need to get is odd and end things.
if I need bloodwork or ultrasound that is out of pocket too
serena22304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:39 AM   #28
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaeljohnson View Post
Who did you use? I am in Richland and wanting a homebirth for our next...if we can afford it, i know our insurance won't cover a penny!
Linda Healey out of BC. Awesome, awesome! We loved her!
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:01 AM   #29
Shyla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My midwife is charging us $4000 for prenatal and delivery. We go to her place for all but one appt(which will be when I am closer to my due date I think) She supplys almost everything. There is a list of things I have to get. She will bill insurance but ours covers nothing even though I will submit a super bill. I dont get why they dont want to cover it considering I had to go to labor and delivery once this pregnancy and the bill for insurance was over $1000. If they let more ppl do a hb they would save a ton but oh well. I wish it wasnt so expensive for a mw but this area is expensive.
ISO GMS & Wool:
Shyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #30
topazdodge
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The midwife I wanted to use would have been $2500 including prenatal, delivery, and postnatal care. That is $200 more than her regular price because we live about 85 miles from Corpus. We ended up just doing a hospital delivery because we couldn't justify paying that much when we would have a $100 copay for all of our maternity care including delivery when we use a preferred hospital. The nearest hospital is covered and they did allow me to have a completely natural birth, no interventions, IVs, and I even ate & drank during labor. I still wish I had her at home, but it was a decent compromise. And I did try to get the midwife covered under our insurance but they wouldn't even talk to me about it because she is a licensed practical midwife instead of a certified nurse midwife and they only cover CNMs. That is totally ridiculous too because the LPMs can even do newborn care up to 6 weeks and are at least 3 times cheaper than using an OBGYN/hospital! I didn't even use an pain meds/epidural with my first dd and the hospital bill was 10,000. Unbelieveable!

Free Crochet Longies Instructions Here
topazdodge is offline   Reply With Quote