Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #1
MamaEli
Registered Users

My Mood:
Tie dying--wet or dry technique?

I'm getting ready to tie dye matching Tshirts for the kids today (for Baby3's going home outfit! ) and am reading the instructions on the Tulip dye. It says you can use a wet or dry technique, but doesn't give why to choose either. I've googled it too, but haven't found anything....

Which gives better colors? I'll probably do a PF for DS and one for the Baby while I'm at it. The package says enough for four shirts, and I think I should be good with one newborn shirt, one 3T, one youth S, a GMD brown and GMD yellow. What do you think? Wet or dry?

Advertisement

Old 06-11-2008, 09:48 AM   #2
Kismet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tie dying--wet or dry technique?

hi! I've done oodles of tye dying. Go to dharma trading co and check out their instructions. I'm sick right now or I would direct link you. I suggest following them, they make vivid colors that don't fade!

Check out felpies for cute goodies!
Kismet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
MamaEli
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well, I'm not buying more dye, even though I know Dharma is great stuff. It looks like they say that you should start with a damp shirt that's been wrung out, so I guess I'll give wet technique a try and hope for the best, even with my simple Tulip dye from Michaels. Thanks for the link!
Old 06-11-2008, 10:27 AM   #4
mommycaitlin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did it the other day with the wet technique and I defenitely won't be doing it again. The colors ran too much. I would do the dry for sharper edges.
mommycaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

If you want the colors to blend into one another then dye it wet if you do not want them to blend much dye it dry. If you are going to do it dry you still want to soak it in the soda ash first and then let it dry. I do most of my PF's wet. You can see some here http://www.freewebs.com/joyfultiedye...lbumID=1119611
. All were done wet (well wrung but wet) with the exception of the Mutt Goldfish which was just barely damp.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:40 PM   #6
Kismet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

no not suggesting you change dyes just try what they say since it works so well. :thumbsup

Check out felpies for cute goodies!
Kismet is offline   Reply With Quote