Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-25-2006, 10:40 PM   #1
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
OMG!!! This is FUNNY!!!!!

Very true!!!!

10/13/2004 Archived Entry: "Danish names"

"...At its heart, the Law on Personal Names is designed to protect Denmark's innocents - the children who are undeservedly, some would say cruelly, burdened by preposterous or silly names. It is the state's view that children should not suffer ridicule and abuse because of their parents' lapses in judgment or their misguided attempts to be hip. Denmark, like much of Scandinavia, prizes sameness, not uniqueness, just as it values usefulness, not frivolousness...

...People expecting children can choose a pre-approved name from a government list of 7,000 mostly Western European and English names - 3,000 for boys, 4,000 for girls. A few ethnic names, like Ali and Hassan, have recently been added. But those wishing to deviate from the official list must seek permission at their local parish church, where all newborns' names are registered. A request for an unapproved name triggers a review at Copenhagen University's Names Investigation Department and at the Ministry of Ecclesiastical Affairs, which has the ultimate authority. The law only applies if one of the parents is Danish...

...In some cases, Mr. Nielsen says, he believes he is performing a vital public service. He advised the Ministry that Anus and Pluto be rejected, for example. He also vetoed Monkey. "That's not a personal name, " Mr. Nielsen explained. "It's an animal. I have to protect the children from ridicule."

Leica, however, has been approved, as has Benji, Jiminico and Fee.

"People's names have become part of their identities now," Mr. Nielsen [assistant professor for the Department of Name Research at Copenhagen University] said. "And people change their names the way you change your clothes or your apartment. It has become more common." "Jens and Vita, but Molli? Danes Favor Common Names, by Lizette Alvarez, Oct. 10, 2004 in the Copenhagen Journal (here via the NY Times; login: catchword7, pwd: catchword)

Hooray from protecting children from ridicule! But can you imagine trying to do this in the US? People would be rioting in the streets. There would be a Naming Rights lobby group, and people would have bumper stickers saying things like "When names are outlawed, only outlaws will have names".

As someone who has a slightly unusual name, I say: please don't name your kids something trendy. They will suffer their entire lives for it. I love my name, but if I had a nickel for every time someone got it wrong...I can only imagine what life is like for all the thousands of McKennas, MyKennas, MacHennas, etc. out there.

Advertisement

Old 09-25-2006, 11:08 PM   #2
MamaJo
Go sell crazy some place else, we're all stocked up here.
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: OMG!!! This is FUNNY!!!!!

Oh I can imagine how that would go over here lol I can see the need though....I've heard some names that just aren't right

There was a "Depressed Cupboard Cheesecake" born in England. I remember a "Southern Comfort" born here in the US...people made a big stink about that, not sure if that name stuck. Its sad, some of the names parents will burden their children with for their own amusement....

Taking a break to focus on God & family

MamaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:13 PM   #3
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sometimes i wonder if ppl really think when they name there kids...
I am all for unique or uncommon names, as long as they are downright weird.

I actaully love unique names, though it seems like when i think of one, it seems to become very popular.

Hubby found this article, while we were searching out danish names. he really wants the baby to have a danish name, since he is danish.( part at least)
Old 09-25-2006, 11:29 PM   #4
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My mom used to work as the court administrator at the court of appeals. She went through lots of cases, with lots of different names, but one really stood out over the 10 years she spent there. It was a custody case, and the little girl in question's name was pronounced shi-thee-ed. It was spelled S-h-*-t-h-*-a-d. I didn't want to spell it out because I didn't want to get in trouble for using inappropriate language, but you can guess what letters goes where the asterisks are.

At first I didn't believe her, but one of the judges she worked for affirmed her story without knowledge that she had even told me.

I cannot believe some of the things people name their kids. Did you hear about the people who had an ebay auction for the name of their child? Whoever one got to choose the child's name. It ended up being the name of a business. Something or other dot com.

So maybe those guys are really onto something there, lol.
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 05:21 PM   #5
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

There was someone on here who told about some young girl (like, 14?) who gave birth and heard "vagina" and thought it was pretty...tried (or succeeded) in naming her baby girl Vagina!

**Don't quote me...as I'm not positive that's how the story went...but I know it was a young girl and vagina was the name! Supposedly, the girl didn'tknow what 'vagina' was!**
Old 09-26-2006, 08:17 PM   #6
lararum
Banned

I've heard Meconium and Female(femolly). People are crazy! Look at the names Michael Jackson gave his kids.
lararum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:51 PM   #7
tillers72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As a child of an uncommon name, I love it now, but growing up, I was always embarassed when it couldn't be pronounced right, or the song got sung to me daily...so, needless to say, we have gone with conservative names on kids. My husband also has an unusual name -- Werner. His mom was given $20 from her grandfather to name him that b/c it was his name and he's German. He got a lot of crap about it in school...but seriously, being inventive and cute is one thing, being off the wall is another when it comes to your child's life!!!

**we are now in Central Illinois and getting adjusted!**
tillers72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:17 PM   #8
Kama
Registered Users
seller
seller

The "vagina" and "meconium" names are urbun legends but there are definately some wierd names out there for real (here is a link debunking those two http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.htm) As a side note on the vagina thing.. even the most sheltered girl would recieve a basic lesson in child birth from her dr before giving birth there is no way you could have any kind of prenatal care and never hear the word vagina.
My MIL friend named her baby Pistol (baby girl). She is named after her dads best friend who died(not sure where or how) but they were in the military together pretty sure he died in a combat zone (his nick name was Pistol).
I dont think laws restricitng names are a good idea in general but it would be nice if people used a little common sense and didnt try for names like Anus, seriously who tries to name their kid Anus??

Lol, I didnt even realize what forum this was in I never post here because im not Preg or TCC sorry for butting in girls !
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things donít always spoil the good things and make them unimportant- The Doctor

Last edited by Kama; 09-28-2006 at 05:25 PM.
Kama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:01 PM   #9
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

Placenta is another one I've heard of as well as tamponia
Old 09-28-2006, 06:17 PM   #10
CheapMom2B
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dad is a cop and he had a kid pull a gun on him, a well known criminal. The kids name was Bolt. Even at age 14 I remember thinking What idiot would name their kid bolt? Turns out his mom was an idiot, she didn't care her kid pulled a gun on a cop!
CheapMom2B is offline   Reply With Quote