Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
aranel7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
XBF is being accepted by my family!

Ok, so my nursling is only 6 months old so we are definitely not XBF yet, but we have no plans to stop nursing until she shows signs of being ready on her own. I want to say that we will do child led weaning, but the time will come at some point when I will limit our nursing in public and our nighttime nursing, so even if we keep going for quite awhile it most likely won't be real child led weaning.

Anyway . . . I've been starting to get that dreaded question about how long I'm going to breastfeed. I always start out by saying that I have no plans to stop. On very, very scarce occassions, that by itself is met with approval. Most people give me the hairy eyeball about it though, so I go on to say that formula is recommended for FF babies through their first 12 months so stopping BF before then is not even a consideration. Putting it that way makes most people understand and (I think) takes me off the hook until she turns 1. Then I go on to say that I didn't take bottles away from my son (who was FF) until he was good and ready. He was only getting one at night for a good 3 months at the end, but his readiness to go without that bottle was what made us finally try weaning, and he was ready. I will give my daughter the same courtesy. I hope that by 12 months solids and water are large parts of her intake, but she will also still breastfeed a few times a day until she's ready to stop.

I *think* this line of reasoning is getting through even the thickest skulls in my family. No one seems to be starting a fight with me when I explain it this way, which is a pleasant surprise to me. We'll see if my luck can continue and I can really have this kind of BF understanding as my daughter gets older.

Advertisement

Everyday Gourmet with Jennifer Grady Mallowes
aranel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:09 AM   #2
La Mere D'Anna
Registered Users

Re: XBF is being accepted by my family!

That's awesome!!! It's always great when our family becomes supportive of XBFing!