Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
CRAP! What to do about pumping/frozen supply with eliminating dairy??

So, I have an almost-low supply (it's touchy--if I'm stressed it goes way low) and I work full-time so I pump half the day. I went down to NO frozen supply with the stress of moving in March, and have finally built up a freezer stash again (). And then I realized I needed to try eliminating dairy this week, and *so far* it looks like it's helping. So, that means my entire freezer stash is worthless. Because it's all eating-dairy milk. Now what????? Do I just dump it down the drain? From what I've seen, you can't donate milk you've already pumped to a bank since you have to be tested and all of that. So I have to just chuck it all and start from scratch again??? (Stress, more stress )

Maybe I could sneak it into dd1's milk, LOL....

Advertisement

Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!

Last edited by dragondance; 06-12-2008 at 01:41 PM.
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
Teresa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: CRAP! What to do about pumping/frozen supply with eliminating dairy??

Without being too sentimental, can I just say that I think it is really awesome of you to pump while you're working? I know it's a pain at times, but it's so good for your little one.

I wouldn't dump anything yet. My nursling went through a phase where he was sensitive to wheat in my diet, and I had to eliminate it for a couple of months. But now I can have wheat in limited quanities in my diet, and he does fine. Personally, I would keep the stash you have and work on slowly building a new one. I'm talking going slow enough that you don't get stressed about it. Who knows, you may be able to use your stash.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:16 PM   #3
KristenDay
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What I would do is try taking half of what you pumped and mix it with half of your milk you are pumping now. See if that maybe dilutes it and makes it not hurt babies belly. Or, if you go to Cafemom.com there is a community on there for mommy's that need breast milk and you could directly donate it to them. Oh, and you can still donate your milk to a bank. They test the milk, not you :] I researched it not that long ago and I read all the steps they do to testing the milk, it's really neat!!!
KristenDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

Please don't mix the milk if you know she's sensitive to dairy -- you could cause further gut damage that way with the trace, even if she doesn't appear to be reactive.

I'd either give it to your older child, donate privately, or save it in case she outgrows and you can give it at a later date.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
Meg-momto2
Registered Users

My Mood:

i had over 100ozs in my freezer and i had to go on an E.D. for DD. i still gave the freezer milk to DD while we phased out dairy. i figured since it takes up to 3-6 weeks for the dairy to get out of my system and it was about 3 weeks of milk then DD was still going to get it either way. the thought of having to dump all that milk made me sick.
Meg-momto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:46 PM   #6
Hayden's Mom
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Why are you phasing out dairy? I'm sorry I probably missed something somewhere! lol
Old 06-12-2008, 07:57 PM   #7
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden's Mom View Post
Why are you phasing out dairy? I'm sorry I probably missed something somewhere! lol
For several reasons. Dd2 is extremely "high needs"--super fussy, horrible sleeper, and she is always congested and has the runs a lot, plus mild reflux. Second, her big sister has SERIOUS problems with dairy, and is only now able to have small bits like baked into cookies after a lot of probiotics, since her issue is not technically an allergy, but colitis/severe intolerance. The baby had a couple spoonfuls of super-pure baby yogurt without any serious problems (as it's broken down by the cultures, same principle as the probiotics for dd1), but then she had her first baby food containing regular dairy and she had some of the classic intolerance symptoms, like naaaaasty long mucous string poo and she refused to sleep AT. ALL. until it was out of her system. Just cried. And I am practically a dairy addict, so she gets a lot from me. So, I'm stopping all dairy to see if it helps her sleeping and extreme fussiness, etc. (For her sister, figuring out what foods bothered her turned her from a fussy, refluxy, gassy, screaming for hours a day, puking baby to a happy spitter normal baby who just didn't eat much .) So far, for whatever reason (dairy or coincidence), the last two days she has been sleeping amazingly and today she was in such a better mood than usual. (Dh kept asking her "Why are you happy????" ) and I don't want to blow that by giving her dairy-fied milk half of the day.

I needed a bottle to pump in today so I dumped one out into dd1's sippy cup and mixed it with her regular almond milk . We'll see if she notices anything.... She can have that broken-down of dairy now, with being on her probiotics. Before she couldn't have handled that much, either.
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!

Last edited by dragondance; 06-12-2008 at 08:06 PM.
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote