Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
so how do you DO it

I am at my whit's end quite literally needing help is sometimes humbling but good thing. Dh is finishing his last week of work (he works in the school system) along with two summer classes and I"m working more till this baby comes. I'm exhausted... and my house is a filthy mess. It drives me nuts but at the same time I don't have the energy/time to clean it...

Just wondering what you other woh ladies do to keep organized?

FYI: DH and I both came from "messier" backgrounds which doesn't help any...

i am planning on asking for help (from friends church and MOPS.. at least till things settle down around here..)

Advertisement

Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: so how do you DO it

I try to do a little every day. I am currently working 8-5 and dh takes ds to daycare and picks him up. I get home about 45min to 1hr before they do and I scramble to throw dinner in the oven/on the stove and do 2 chores/day in that time. Today I dusted ds's and our rooms and started the diaper laundry. Tomorrow I'll finish up the dipes (folding/stuffing) and change the sheets on our beds. I find that if I can do a couple of things everyday it doesn't pile up and get as messy, and then my days off can't be spent playing with the baby monster and not worrying about too much housework.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #3
JDT
Banned

My Mood:

I was chatting with a woman on a plane when I was pregnant with my last baby. I told her all of the things that I was trying to get done (work, cook, clean, etc). She said words that have stayed with me

She said "oh honey, you REALLY need to lower your standards." LOL!

My house is "picked up" but not scrubbed clean the way I want it. My babysitter cleans, but not that great. The laundry is washed courtesy of DH, but not yet put away. (I was washed 4 days ago.) There is crayon on my dining room walls, and chalk writing on the family room floor. My grass it a little long and my kitchen is MUCH less organized than I would like it.

I'll tell you this though: My kids ate a home cooked meal for dinner, we laughed and enjoyed one another's company over our evening meal. My home is warm and loving. My marriage is strong. My children are loved and loving and well rounded human beings.

We do our best in any day and let the rest go. I'd LOVE to have a house that looked great. Instead I have a family that feels great and that's more than I ever could have hoped for!
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:07 PM   #4
mnmama
Registered Users
seller

Mostly cleaning up after ourselves. We don't usually have to "clean", kwim? For the most part we don't stress about it though. If we have to "clean", it's usually back to normal within 15 minutes with both of us working.

Have you ever tried Flylady? It's a great system to get started with.

Last edited by mnmama; 06-12-2008 at 09:49 PM.
mnmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

FLYLADY--the routines and the idea of doing things in little intervals, just 5 or 15 minutes at a time instead of trying to do the entire job at once, are the ONLY things that keep this place from getting super-scary .
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
I was chatting with a woman on a plane when I was pregnant with my last baby. I told her all of the things that I was trying to get done (work, cook, clean, etc). She said words that have stayed with me

She said "oh honey, you REALLY need to lower your standards." LOL!

My house is "picked up" but not scrubbed clean the way I want it. My babysitter cleans, but not that great. The laundry is washed courtesy of DH, but not yet put away. (I was washed 4 days ago.) There is crayon on my dining room walls, and chalk writing on the family room floor. My grass it a little long and my kitchen is MUCH less organized than I would like it.

I'll tell you this though: My kids ate a home cooked meal for dinner, we laughed and enjoyed one another's company over our evening meal. My home is warm and loving. My marriage is strong. My children are loved and loving and well rounded human beings.

We do our best in any day and let the rest go. I'd LOVE to have a house that looked great. Instead I have a family that feels great and that's more than I ever could have hoped for!
thanks for that makes me feel better.

as for flylady i tried and miserably failed more than once!! Our schedules are ever changing so it makes it really hard to do the same thing.. also this week i'm working more than I usually do which in my case really means less sleep. (wed-thurs I worked, got home at 4am and was up with my girs at 8)
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
Old 06-13-2008, 06:24 PM   #7
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy7s View Post
thanks for that makes me feel better.

as for flylady i tried and miserably failed more than once!! Our schedules are ever changing so it makes it really hard to do the same thing.. also this week i'm working more than I usually do which in my case really means less sleep. (wed-thurs I worked, got home at 4am and was up with my girs at 8)
I get home at 2am generally, if that makes you feel any better My putting-stuff-away and running-the-dishwasher night routine helps me wind down. And destress, since I get mad when the house is super-messy so then it's at least better than when I walked in. I don't end up being able to do half of it, but even the idea of "I don't have to put away ALL of the massive pile of laundry--just do it for say ten minutes, and then go do something else," means at least something gets done, and I feel less swamped.
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:24 PM   #8
lmvanzee
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm Generaly a pretty disorganized person, but about once a week I buckle down and just get things caught up. I refuse to let my house get soo bad that people can't come over. For some reason it is much easier to do when DH is out of town
lmvanzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:26 AM   #9
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmvanzee View Post
I'm Generaly a pretty disorganized person, but about once a week I buckle down and just get things caught up. I refuse to let my house get soo bad that people can't come over. For some reason it is much easier to do when DH is out of town
OH my gosh I totally agree! DH is home more this week.. he had a huge final which took him days to finish..needless to say our house looks like a tornado went through it on top of the "normal" mess and the fact that I refuse to do dishes.. (Hurts my back now that I"m 32 weeks pg!) ahh well life goes on!
Old 06-15-2008, 02:14 AM   #10
mom2piddle
Registered Users
seller

my answer is " I don't!" if I don't have time I don't do it....we will survive....and make the kids help! My mom--the Queen of clean and organized (I have offered to rent her out to others for their organizational probs now and then!) implemented the "must do 1-2 chores for your mom before you go outside to play rule....It works, they get out pots for dinner, things from the pantry, pick up trash/papers around the house....nothing tooo unreasonable..this of course on top of what they are espected to do already...I think that's the real key to getting things done when you are a WOHMama...let things go a bit...if DH cleans the floor but not the way you do..oh well! It's clean! AND ASK FOR HELP! I know what you are thinking...I can get it done much quicker and a lot easier if I just do it...but other ppl are capable, it make take more then one person to do what you do but they are capable! so let them...I had minor surgery 2 mos after baby#5 was born...It took 3 ppl to do what I do for less then 2 full days and they didn't have to do any laundry! (you will hear me refer to laundry a lot in all posts...it is what I'm here for! LOL!...we do anywhere between 8-10 loads a week including 2-3 for diapers!(made me feel great!)

I make quick dinners..I hate that the kids love sandwiches but on hot summer nights those are great quick dinner ideas (paired with some sort of something nutritious like fruit...you didn't think I just let my kids eat sandwiches for dinner did you?!)

Laundry is what it is...other then washing cloth diapers more often...all my kids have lots of undies and socks (although the girls don't wear socks during the summer!) If the laundry is washed and dried I'm good...the kids put their own clothes away