Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
lydiamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Angry Growing up green--this made me so mad!!

I was just at the bookstore looking at books on kids nutrition, and saw the book Growing up Green: Baby and Childcare by Deirdre Imus. So I picked it up and was reading different sections and was really interested and thinking of buying it. Then I turned to the section on nursing, expecting her to present a long list of the benefits of breastfeeding over formula for babies health, but NOT SO!

She mostly talks about how many toxins are in breastmilk, and says that now that organic formulas with omega fatty acids in them are available, it is questionable if breastmilk is really best for babies . She recommends talking with your OB when you are pregnant about which is really better for you to do, and cites a book that talks about this "complicated issue". I couldn't believe it!!!! Her entire book is about how to live a lifestyle that best promotes good health in your baby, and she's advocating formula feeding??? While it is true breastmilk contains the toxins in our bodies, it ALSO contains antibodies, stem cells, and a world of things that formula will never contain. And how can she totally ignore the FACT that breastfeeding has been proven to improve children's health? She doesn't say not to breastfeed but she does pretty much say that formula is as good, if not better, than breastmilk.

Needless to say I put the book down. What a bunch of crap.

Rant over

Advertisement

Baltic Creations co-op now open
lydiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:34 PM   #2
shutterbugmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Growing up green--this made me so mad!!

OMGoodness.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:42 PM   #3
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She mostly talks about how many toxins are in breastmilk, and says that now that organic formulas with omega fatty acids in them are available, it is questionable if breastmilk is really best for babies . She recommends talking with your OB when you are pregnant about which is really better for you to do, and cites a book that talks about this "complicated issue". I couldn't believe it!!!! Her entire book is about how to live a lifestyle that best promotes good health in your baby, and she's advocating formula feeding??? While it is true breastmilk contains the toxins in our bodies, it ALSO contains antibodies, stem cells, and a world of things that formula will never contain. And how can she totally ignore the FACT that breastfeeding has been proven to improve children's health? She doesn't say not to breastfeed but she does pretty much say that formula is as good, if not better, than breastmilk.

Needless to say I put the book down. What a bunch of crap.

Rant over [/QUOTE]

WTF?? That seriously makes me
What bs--did she ever read the ingredients in formula? over 50% corn syrup--and where does the milk portion come from? cows which have just as much enviromental contaminants as breastmilk...
and people read that crap and believe it!

I know people need to use formula and it's fine but no way is it better than breastfeeding except in very specific situations
Old 06-12-2008, 08:48 PM   #4
lydiamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just wanted to add...
In another section of the book she promotes raising your kids dairy-free because all of the crap in cow's milk, and yet she's advocating starting your baby off with it. How does that make sense?

Baltic Creations co-op now open
lydiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:01 PM   #5
randomacts
Registered Users

Sorry, I am new here, and mostly just came to look at the cute diapers but I had to post and say WHAAA????

Thanks!
randomacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:04 PM   #6
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydiamom View Post
Just wanted to add...
In another section of the book she promotes raising your kids dairy-free because all of the crap in cow's milk, and yet she's advocating starting your baby off with it. How does that make sense?
how the he!! do people get this stuff published!
Old 06-12-2008, 09:06 PM   #7
MotherGoose518
Registered Users

MTHFR + possible Ehler's Danlos Syndrome
Lovenox, Folic Acid Therapy, Aspirin Therapy
MotherGoose518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #8
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, the NATURAL way of feeding must not be the best, most green

And the no cow's milk but yes cow's milk formula???

Man, this thread is going to be full of (rightly so) MAD people soon....
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:49 PM   #9
Griffinsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I looked into that issue a bit when I was pregnant because it's true that bm contains some scary stuff. Babies do too. Samples taken from cord blood are scary.

I just don't see how cow's are any less full of toxins than we are and therefore how could organic formula really be any more free of toxins? They live in the same world, breathe the same air. It's not like organic cows live in a bubble.
Griffinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:54 PM   #10
cindylouhoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ooh, that ticks me off that that kind of misinformation is being spewed in a book. The sad thing is that a lot of people wouldn't know any better and would end up FFing, thinking that's the best thing to do.