Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-16-2008, 05:08 PM   #41
oootheduchess
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Growing up green--this made me so mad!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyterp View Post
Clearly this woman is an idiot. I guess she doesn't know that the cans that formula come in are LINED with BPA. The very chemical that you want to avoid in bottles LINES the cans that formula is shipped/stored/sold in.
nuh uh?! I mean, now that I think about it, it is probably true... but I know almost nothing about formula, especially the packaging, having never used it or really checked out a can. Do you have a source for info on that and do you know if there are brands that are bpa free? I would be very interested to read about it... I know a lot of mommys who are using formula so this worries me. It is easy enough to find bpa free bottles but if there isnt any formula brand that has bpa free packaging what are mamas who cant nurse supposed to do?!

Advertisement

oootheduchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:05 PM   #42
TempoHasPaws
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oootheduchess View Post
nuh uh?! I mean, now that I think about it, it is probably true... but I know almost nothing about formula, especially the packaging, having never used it or really checked out a can. Do you have a source for info on that and do you know if there are brands that are bpa free? I would be very interested to read about it... I know a lot of mommys who are using formula so this worries me. It is easy enough to find bpa free bottles but if there isnt any formula brand that has bpa free packaging what are mamas who cant nurse supposed to do?!
Unfortunately, that's just one of the many risks of formula feeding.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:36 PM   #43
mom2~3offspring
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Shes not (growing up Green) shes Growing up Stuiped
mom2~3offspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:06 PM   #44
kimberlee212
Registered Users

My Mood:

My question is what makes her such an "expert". Other than being married to Don Imus and using their money and his fame to get her books published. If she's completely about living a green lifestyle, how can she justify selling a "Cleaner than Green" cleansing product that is in a plastic spray bottle. Or if she really wanted to take living green to a higher level, why even publish a book. Why not just sell it electronically and cut out the paper mills and publication process that harms the environment.

It makes me wonder if the woman just wants green for her own pockets.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #45
TempoHasPaws
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlee212 View Post
My question is what makes her such an "expert". Other than being married to Don Imus and using their money and his fame to get her books published. If she's completely about living a green lifestyle, how can she justify selling a "Cleaner than Green" cleansing product that is in a plastic spray bottle. Or if she really wanted to take living green to a higher level, why even publish a book. Why not just sell it electronically and cut out the paper mills and publication process that harms the environment.

It makes me wonder if the woman just wants green for her own pockets.
i agree
Old 06-16-2008, 08:39 PM   #46
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oootheduchess View Post
BPA is used in the lining of tin cans. Nothing specific to formula, but all canned foods we use. There is information that suggests the powdered rather than liquid forms will have lower amounts of BPA leaching into them by the fact that they aren't liquid. So the cans aren't likely to say anything on it.

They're banning BPA containing bottles in Canada, but aren't doing anything about the cans persay - they said they are going to work with the manufacturers, whatever that means! I mean, cans HAVE to be heated to be sealed and food is in contact with them way longer than a bottle.... craziness!
Old 06-16-2008, 08:40 PM   #47
spiritbear_momma
Registered Users

My Mood:

wow, cannot believe the GREEN author is pro formula,,,awful to share such bad info to new parents, or any parent who is in a postiotin of being swayed to formula by a green livign book,,,,,,,,sick, yes we should email this author, such horrible info!!!!!!!!!!!

nothing is better then breastmilk for babies!!
spiritbear_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:46 PM   #48
GraemesMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffinsmom View Post
It's not like organic cows live in a bubble.
They don't?? ROFL!!! Thanks, that gave me a laugh tonight! I agree, organic does not a perfect world make!

This is sad b/c I just picked this book up at the library and was looking forward to reading it.

It's just like any book, I mean, you take the good and leave the bad, but really - I'm all for trying to help my kids grow up as toxin-free as possible, but there is no way to completely avoid toxins. Unfortunately existing = being exposed to toxins, no matter how organic or natural, pesticide or PVA-free you go!
Old 06-16-2008, 09:11 PM   #49
knoxmama81
Registered Users
seller

I don't get it! What is the author thinking? Breastfeeding is natural, it wasn't made in a factory like formula. Of course nursing is best for baby- GEEZ...that's SO ignorant!
knoxmama81 is offline   Reply With Quote