Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2008, 06:22 AM   #11
Harmony96's Avatar
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 24,258
My Mood:
Re: Nutrition needs for a NB from breastmilk ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittykat2481 View Post
What about moms who donate to a milk bank - do they distribute based on the age of the child getting the milk vs. the age of the mother's children who donated it? Did that make sense? It's late...
The milk bank here only takes milk if your nursling is 12 months or younger.

Advertisement

__________________
Andrea, child of God, wife of Tim, charting, sewing and authoring mama of L, B, ^i^ J, J, and G
I'm a Shaklee distributor! Click here for natural home and body care!
PM me for information on our 180 complete weight loss system! Samples available soon!
I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:24 AM   #12
kikkiagouti
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 709
My Mood:
Re: Nutrition needs for a NB from breastmilk ?

While nursing the newborn you won't be nursing your 18month old will you? If that is the case I would say one child wouldn't be getting the nutrients they need, but if your stopping your 18month old and just nursig the newborn I am pretty sure your body will adjust and be fine. At least from what I understand! But I'm no expert.
__________________
Lou: Unwed, Tattooed, Thrifty, Babywearing,
Student & Single Mother to Giovanni (March '08)
kikkiagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:35 AM   #13
shandi's Avatar
shandi
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 4,367
My Mood:
Re: Nutrition needs for a NB from breastmilk ?

I don't have an answer to your question, but who I would ask is Dr. Jack Newman (the bf'ing guru guy) since he has answered bf'ing questions I have emailed him about on a couple of occasions I was really surprised he answered emails and he gets back to you quickly too!

This is his website, and the contact us page has his email info
http://www.drjacknewman.com/
__________________
~Shannon ~
Mama to Tristan (3) & princess Phoebe (13 months)
shandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:51 AM   #14
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
Posts: 9,575
My Mood:
Re: Nutrition needs for a NB from breastmilk ?

I agree with Newman, or try emailing LLL and seeing what they know.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:08 PM   #15
ThatLinGirl's Avatar
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: DC
Posts: 5,447
Re: Nutrition needs for a NB from breastmilk ?

I would think so. Toddler milk is actually FATTIER than newborn milk -- many people assume the opposite, since toddlers grow slower.

I would definitely call the LLL hotline (free!) and see what they have to say.
__________________

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:36 PM   #16
mother_04_07's Avatar
mother_04_07
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: OR
Posts: 6,071
My Mood:
Re: Nutrition needs for a NB from breastmilk ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
I'll be interested to hear what the pedi says.
we got appointment in July to talk to the ped

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbi77 View Post
I'd look for a LLL leader, or maybe email one. Most of the info I got from peds & our local lactation consultant was a joke.
where would i find a LLL leader or an email for one ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by zsusana View Post
I think the real question is if pregnancy is necessary to induce your body to produce milk appropriate for a newborn. I've never come across this before, and I'm sure many LCs have not either. You might start here:
http://breast-feeding.adoption.com/
Thank you for the Link


Quote:
Originally Posted by kittykat2481 View Post
What about moms who donate to a milk bank - do they distribute based on the age of the child getting the milk vs. the age of the mother's children who donated it? Did that make sense? It's late...
i wondered if they distribute based on the age of the child getting the milk vs. the age of the mother's children who donated it


Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyMama0607 View Post
i went from nursing my 20mth old to nursing my brand new nb & nursed both for 2mths and hes fine so i say YES. your body will adjust.
This NB would be adopted so i wondered if my body would adjust to his/her needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkiagouti View Post
While nursing the newborn you won't be nursing your 18month old will you? If that is the case I would say one child wouldn't be getting the nutrients they need, but if your stopping your 18month old and just nursing the newborn I am pretty sure your body will adjust and be fine. At least from what I understand! But I'm no expert.
No i would stop nursing my 17.5 to 18month old *depending when the baby is born*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandi View Post
I don't have an answer to your question, but who I would ask is Dr. Jack Newman (the bf'ing guru guy) since he has answered bf'ing questions I have emailed him about on a couple of occasions I was really surprised he answered emails and he gets back to you quickly too!

This is his website, and the contact us page has his email info
http://www.drjacknewman.com/
thank you i when a head and sent him an email

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatLinGirl View Post
I would think so. Toddler milk is actually FATTIER than newborn milk -- many people assume the opposite, since toddlers grow slower.

I would definitely call the LLL hotline (free!) and see what they have to say.
LLL hotline ...would someone point me to where i could fine the #




Thank you mama so much for you help , at least i don't feel odd for asking now
__________________
CD,BW,BF,Mama cloth,composting ...Married to my HS sweetheart
6/02 ~ 7/02~ 12/03 9/04 Born @ 38.0w LifeFlight/NICU/IA defect Surgery #1@3days old,#2 2/06, #3 11/09,#4 6/10,#5 8/10
7/2007born emergency c-section @39.0wIn STOCK Mama Cloth & PAST WORK
mother_04_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.