Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-13-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
vjusczak
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
two part question . . .

I EBF my 1st child who was in the 90th percentile for weight until he hit 5 months and then slowly began falling until he was only the 5th percentile at about 1 year. All the doc said he was healthy just skinny, don't worry, blah, blah - and so I didn't. Now with 2nd child, same thing. He was gained 2-3 pounds per month until last month (5 months now), when he only gained 7 oz. Is it possible my milk changed that much?? I have adequate supply - but could quality not be high enough anymore? I just dont feel like this is right - thats my gut. Even though everyone tells me not to worry. DS#1 was an early mover, and my husbands family is all thin - but I just dont like the huge swing in extremes. I don't know - its worrying me senseless.

So 2nd part of the question - in order to make sure it isnt a supply issue I've been eating oatmeal and taking fenegreek. The fenegreek seems to make DS gassy and disagreeable. So I saw something in my research called goats rue. Anyone used it - know of it? It isn't something I've ever seen before and dont want to take something that isnt reputable. Thanks so much!!!

Advertisement

Old 06-13-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
Nykoal
Registered Users
seller

Re: two part question . . .

I don't know much about the supplements, but I do know that BF babies gain a lot of weight in the 1st 6 months and then they usually become leaner than FF babies. My DD gained approx 1 lbs a month until 6 months and now she only gains approx 8oz's a month. She went from the 50% percentile to the 25% percentile and I'm sure she's even lower now since that was when she was 6 months and she's now 9 months and has her well-baby check-up on Tuesday.

As long as baby is growing in other ways, has enough wet/poopy dipes and meeting other milestones, and your Dr isn't concerned it sounds like things are just fine. However that never negates your mommy instincts.

Nykoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:18 AM   #3
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Brestfed babies tend to slow down their weight gain at right about that age.... here's more info on that. (kelly mom even has more than that - but that was the quickest link I could get to ) Sure your supply is fine !
Old 06-13-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
lilepad
Registered Users

My Mood:

While that is a big dropoff in %iles, I have to wonder if your doctor uses a BF baby growth chart or the standard formula fed one. BF babies level off a lot more than FF babies.

My dd also got really gassy & irritable when I drank mother's milk tea (contains fenugreek). Instead I used coconut milk (in moderation because of all of the sat fat) and it did WONDERS for my supply.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:45 PM   #5
oootheduchess
Registered Users

My Mood:

My ds was the same way. Top 90% for the first 3-4 months and then he slowly dropped down. Now he's 9 months and 50% for height and only 5% for weight. But like some of the pp said I have heard that this is typical of bf babes(especially ebf babies). I have also heard that peds use a chart that is compiled using averages of ff and bf babies. Not sure if your lo is, was, or will be ebf up to 6months but most babies aren't so the growth chart at most ped offices won't really apply to those babies. This is just what I have heard through forums and bfing websites, etc. and it makes perfect sense for my situation. Plus my ds isn't very into solids and you have to factor in genetics. I was always bottom 5% until I graduated from high school and I am still petite(5'3" 125lbs). My dh is 5'9" and 150lbs fully clothed and soaking wet If your lo is alert and reaching important milestones appropriately I wouldn't be too worried.
oootheduchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:55 AM   #6
vjusczak
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the advice and comparisons Mama's. I feel better now - and I didn't know about the growth chart compliations statistics. You've taken a load off my shoulders.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:13 PM   #7
paintedbison
Registered Users
seller

My two have gradually fallen in percentiles as well. They seem fine to me, though.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:02 AM   #8
sisterof10
Registered Users

Same thing here!
sisterof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:23 AM   #9
abbycadabby
Banned

My Mood:

Same thing here, only my boys stayed steady 0-4 months, in percentiles climbed from 4-9 months, then dropped 9-18 months. They both did the exact same thing, and both have landed in the same percentile at 18 months.

I'm sure your milk is fine. Praise the Lord that you have a decent pediatrician who understands BFed babies and isn't freaking out on you!

Here's the WHO breastfed babies standards.

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...wthcharts.html

They have updated the charts if you click on the WHO link, but it doesn't say whether those updated charts are exclusively BF.
abbycadabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:14 AM   #10
junebug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilepad View Post
While that is a big dropoff in %iles, I have to wonder if your doctor uses a BF baby growth chart or the standard formula fed one. BF babies level off a lot more than FF babies.
ditto on the growth chart. many peds use FF charts and those babies tend to be much heavier. in addition, babies start to burn more calories after 5 mos, they sleep less, and become more mobile. do you still have enough wet diapers? look at your baby's behavior, does he (was it she? i forgot ) seem satisfied or hungry? don't just look at the weight gain, it means nothing in itself. that's my
junebug is offline   Reply With Quote