Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-26-2006, 05:02 PM   #1
Leigh Ann
Registered Users
seller

Question for those who cosleep w/ a older baby

How in the world do you keep your dc from falling off the bed?? My DS has fallen off our bed twice, which is scary b/c our bed is very high and our floors are concrete with tile. Once he crawled off in his sleep after DH had left for work and I was still asleep. The other time DH and I were both awake and DS was standing up on DH's hip and he just flipped right over him onto the floor. Needless to say we both felt like the worst parents in the world. I thought about putting safety rails up, but I think they'd just be something for him to stand up on and he'd still fall. I'm out of ideas and afraid that for his safety I'm going to have to make him stay in his bed.

Advertisement

Leigh Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 05:08 PM   #2
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question for those who cosleep w/ a older baby

My bed is just a mattress on the floor. The couple times I have actually slept with him on a bed that was high off the floor, I just put him down when he woke up. I guess I'm a light sleeper.
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 05:10 PM   #3
CourtneyinAlaska
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

One side of the bed is dh, ds has never fallen that direction. The other side (where ds sometimes sleeps on the outside edge) we have a mesh rail by safety first i think and I also have three 2ftx2ft throw pillows on the floor. I will admit he does fall/roll/slide out of bed maybe every 6 weeks or so but the pillows make the landing a lot less traumatic. HTH!
Old 09-26-2006, 05:36 PM   #4
1bigfamily
Registered Users
seller

Our bed is surrounded on three sides by walls and I try to sleep on the outside when possible so they don't fall off. MOre often, they get caunght in the crack between the wall and bed. The space is just big enough that they can get caught but not hurt. Dh doesn't sleep with us because there isn't enough room. :sigh:
Old 09-26-2006, 05:40 PM   #5
toryandrew
Registered Users
seller

We have kept our co-sleeper up as an effective guard. Pretty soon we are switching to a bed rail like this one: http://www.onestepahead.com/product/118/178758/118.html
toryandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 05:49 PM   #6
mamato5angels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We plop ours right in the middle. He is really a good snuggler most of the times so I don't worry to much about him going overboard.
mamato5angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:48 PM   #7
TKDMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

One side of our bed is up against the wall, which is where dd sleeps. Our bed isn't very high, and she's getting close to 2 yrs old, so I don't worry about her falling too much. Could you put one side of the bed against the wall? Maybe that would help. Good luck - I can see why you're worrying, with a high bed and concrete floors!
Old 09-26-2006, 06:56 PM   #8
Lyric
Registered Users
seller

We have a king sized bed and dd sleep in the middle between me and dh. So she has to crawl over one of us to get off the bed.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:43 PM   #9
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we have a bed rail. I also show them how to crawl backwards to the end of the bed and slide down. Its a TALL bed but they learn REALLY young to slide down the comforter to get out. Around 7-8 months.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:05 PM   #10
bgjmhg03
Registered Users
seller

DD always slept between us and when DH would get up for work he would arrange pillows along the side of the bed to stop her from rolling off. I would like to get rid of the frame for awhile, though, and do the mattress on the floor thing for the next baby.