Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-13-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
Miles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Birth control and Breastfeeding

I am on the mini pill right now which I know is safe while Breastfeeding. The question I have for you ladies is this: Once my DD is 6 mos old they want to change me to a BCP that has estrogen and progesterone in it. I was told that its ok to take it at 6 mos because she will be on solid foods and not BFing as much as she would if she wasnt taking in anything else. They said that due to her not BFing as much at 6 mos I need more protection. Which was fine with me, thing is I talked to my sister who has a 6 mos old son. She BF him for 2 mos, and her dr told her that she couldnt be on any pill that has estrogen and progesterone until she was done breastfeeding. She stopped because she couldnt keep up with pumping at work. Anyway, I am worried now that her dr said that while mine said something different and also I checked online it says not to use anything with estrogen in it. I dont know what to do, I have 4 more refills of the mini pill then they switch me over. Should I said ok to be switched, I dont know what she is switching me to, or should I said no I will stay on the mini pill until I am done BFing?

Advertisement

Old 06-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #2
onejadedlyric
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Birth control and Breastfeeding

I'm not sure Mama but with my ds I was on the mini pill until around 13 months. That's when we introduced soy & rice milk into his diet. Since he started to only nurse mornings & nights it would no longer have been effective. I got pregnant as soon as I came off so I never got a chance to figure out what I would do next. This time around I am on it as well & plan to do pretty much the same thing. My Dr. has told me that the only other option I have is the mirena.

For me, around 6 months, even though he was eating a little cereal, he was still consuming about the same amount of milk so my supply was still strong. HTH

Truly Blessed!!! Proud mom of DS (5/21/2006) & DD (3/17/2008)
Happily married to my amazing DH & BFF since 4/19/2003
onejadedlyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:06 PM   #3
lydiamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've always heard not to use an estrogen pill during nursing, and I think that even when they start solids they still nurse pretty frequently, so personally I wouldn't. But then again I decided I wasn't comfortable with any hormones while nursing so I may not be the best for advice.

Baltic Creations co-op now open
lydiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh no, mama! Don't listen to that doc. Horrible advice!!!! You want to stay on the mini pill until after you are done nursing. Why do they want to switch you over so quickly? Nursing is the most important and best thing for you and your lo. Don't let them rush you out of it.

Breastmilk is the MAIN source of nutrition the ENTIRE first year! Solids shouldn't be started until ATLEAST 6 months if not older and baby shouldn't have 2 "meals" a day until 9 months and the 3rd shouldn't be started until they turn 1 year old. Solids are just for fun and experimentation the second half of the first year. All nutrition is through the BM.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
Deanner03
"Life's tough. Get a helmet."
seller

My Mood:

Estrogen will drop your supply. Don't do it. That being said...you have to be RELIGIOUS about taking the mini-pill at the EXACT SAME TIME every day. Even then, it's significantly less effective than CHC's (combine'd hormonal contraceptives)
I'm a gyn nurse, feel free to pm me with questions, I suck at checking threads!
Old 06-13-2008, 08:14 PM   #6
ellybelliesmomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

NO ESTROGEN MAMA!!!! I think your doc is crazy for offering to put you on it. I personally choose NO hormones while BFing (or ever) but that is a "new" decition. Before, I was planning to take the mini and would NOT have considered anything else. The "unknown" is too risky. There are GREAT WAYS to prevent pregnancy naturally. I haven't done much research yet, I got PG, then was BFing but I didn't do anything to prevent pregnancy, I was fine w/ getting pregnant, which I did when my lo was 10 months. After this pregnancy, I will more than likely look into natural family planning, as to avoid having 3 lo's back to back!

WAHM to Elly Bellie-- her middle name is NOT bellie, it is a nickname (4-10-07)

Checkout my website!
I work at home and you can, too!!! Ask me how!
ellybelliesmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:09 AM   #7
oootheduchess
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would have to agree with the pp that said their 6month olds still nursed frequently and I have also heard that estrogen will tank your supply. My ds is almost 10months and still wants to nurse every 3 hours. I took the mini pill for a few months after ds was born and ended up just switching to condoms only because we always used them anyway... for the reason the pp mentioned that you have to be right on with taking them and I concieved ds while taking a estrogen/progesterone pill after missing only a few... so we were super paranoid about the mini pill. I personally think that hormonal bc is not good for me... I don't like the idea of tricking my body into thinking its pregnant all the time Once we are done with babies the dh is getting cut If I were you I would say no thanks to switching... but the important thing is that you dont get coerced into doing something that you aren't completely comfortable with. Doctors can be pushy sometimes. Make your choice and stick with it, mama!
oootheduchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:53 AM   #8
GreenSeed
Registered Users
Formerly: knotsbyadrienne

My Mood:

i agree w/ the pps, i took the mini pill for 8 months and we just decided to stop and "not try" to get pg. although i've never heard of anyone being advised to take an estrogen pill while nursing, i have heard that many mama's obs are not pro-bfing...at least not extended. it really depends on your doctor. do your research and make your own decision.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:50 AM   #9
Miles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you so much ladies. My Dr is really for BFing which is why I was a little iffy about taking the estrogen when she was 6 mos old. I read it can affect your supply and also affect your baby. I will be calling them and telling them I want to stay on the mini pill the whole time I am Bfing. She told me it was because at 6 mos the baby will be taking in solids and I wont be as protected not BFing her as much. My nephew is 6 mos old and my sister bottle feeds he is taking in around 30 ozs a day with solids. So to me that is a lot of BFing once my DD hits that age. Thank you for all the advice I will be calling them up on Monday.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:34 AM   #10
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You are one awesome mama!!! You're lo's are lucky to have you.