Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
some thoughts bf vs ff

I work at a hosp and I feel like this is the worst place I've worked at as far as bfing support. Imagine my surprise when the nurses and I were having a discussion about bfing vs formula and the ff mom's felt like bfing was pushed on them.. I've always felt the opposite??? (that ff was pushed on me)

it ended well I think deep down inside a that we all question are decisions and are defensive when other people want to push us into something we don't feel is right. I wouldn't push someone who's already decided to ff.. and at the same time I asked them to try to understand why i'm extended bfing my toddler and want to tandem nurse...

i think in the end we should all just be nice to each other and respect each other's decisions!

Advertisement

Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)

Last edited by joy7s; 06-15-2008 at 02:23 AM.
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
breakfastsurreal
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: some tnoughts bf vs ff

I can see how FF moms might feel pressured, just because of the simple fact that is stated over and over, that "breast is best". It probably makes them feel like people are indirectly telling them that they aren't doing the best thing for their child and that probably puts them on the defensive.
breakfastsurreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD1 was ff after a month b/c I had no knowledge and bad advice. I never felt like bf'ing was pushed on me. I regretted ff and still regret it to this day. But, I made the only choice possible at the time. I WISH I had the online support of Kellymom then and had a good IBCLC to talk to.

I respect people's choices, but I don't respect when people ff b/c they don't want to "mess up" the way their body looks or only want to nurse for a couple of weeks so they can "have their body back."

Don't have kids then, if your body is so sacred to you and if you don't want to put the time or love into raising children.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can see why she might feel pressure from bfing advocates but she also has to realize the struggles that women have had to face to be able to bf. I don't think a ff mom has ever been asked to leave and go to the bathroom to finish feeding her lo.

For so long there was no accurate info passed to moms and now we are try to change that.

This video is really great! Sort of sums up things in a funny postitive way.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:04 PM   #5
Chrijodo
Registered Users
Formerly: RiverDrakesMomma
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KaiMom* View Post
I can see why she might feel pressure from bfing advocates but she also has to realize the struggles that women have had to face to be able to bf. I don't think a ff mom has ever been asked to leave and go to the bathroom to finish feeding her lo.

For so long there was no accurate info passed to moms and now we are try to change that.

That was fun to watch
Chrijodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:16 PM   #6
paintedbison
Registered Users
seller

Quote:

Awww... that's a great video!!!
Old 06-15-2008, 02:22 AM   #7
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

I agree that ff mom's don't understand that sometimes.. I guess I'd just never understood that sometimes they feel pressured in the same way I do..

and yes the reasons why some people choose not to bf (ruins their body or it's too "hard" when they didn't even do it once..) do annoy me. I guess just in my older age I'm realizing that most choices people make are for a reason and I should respect that instead of judging their decisions.

wish I could see the video!
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote