Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
Mom2BabiesA&I
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pumping?

Has anyone here ever *just* pumped for their babe? I have a PISA pump so its a decent pump and I would pump every two hours or more if needed. Right now if I pump I get 4oz and she only eats 3oz tops (3 weeks old so I am a little surprised she even takes that much!) *if* she is given a bottle. She has only had a couple bottles in her short little life outside the womb but she takes them well.

Any input or thoughts? I am not sure I will do this but I wanted some feedback first. It would just be helpful to have the fiance be able to help with feedings if I am handling the toddler or needing to do other things when its feeding time.

Advertisement

Old 06-14-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
odentonmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pumping?

I am guessing that you mean switching from BFing to EPing (Exclusive Pumping.) I EP'd for the first 5 weeks with my youngest DS while he was in the NICU and I would not do so by choice. I worked hard to get him back to the breast, so I did not have to continue EPing once he came home.

It is a lot of work and it can be hard to keep up your supply to meet your babies needs that way. In the first few months supply is helped with hormones, later it is solely based on milk removal. For the majority of mamas, pumping is not as efficient at removing milk and stimulating supply. So, many mamas who EP, have trouble keeping up with their baby's needs. There is another thread on here by a mama asking about this. I think the title is something like, "Am I a bad mama for considering this?" or something like that. But, I would look for it because a lot of mamas replied and offered good information on EPing.

There is also a website: http://www.exclusivelypumping.com/
Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.
odentonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know moms who have, but not by choice. They weren't able to bf in the beginning and their lo had a very hard time latching on.

Personally, I couldn't imagine exclusively pumping and I give so much KUDOS to the moms who do. What a major commitment and a major love for their lo's. I dread having to pump every other month or 2 for the occasional bottle if we go out.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:04 PM   #4
pmills4
Registered Users

I have had to EP for the past 4 months not by choice but due to curcumstances it has been the only way to keep my DD breast fed. Now I am fighting to get her back to the breast. I do not recomend EPing unless you have to. It is not only a challenge for me to keep up your supply but it is also mentally challenging for me as I have to pump every two hours around the clock in order to keep up with my 5 month olds appetite. As a suggestion so that your fiance can feed if need be is to pump after baby has nursed and store it, or pump periodicly threw out the day and store it. Most mama's who EP do not do it by choice, but we do not want our babies on formula either.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:16 PM   #5
kidpsych2be
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I answered you on your other thread mama...but I'll say it again here.

If you want to continue to BF, I highly recommend not introducing a bottle before 6-8 weeks old at the very least. I say this because babies this tiny can get confused and start rejecting the breast. And also if you supplement at feeding times, your body will stop making what it needs and you may find yourself with supply issues that may not be reversed.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:36 PM   #6
Mom2BabiesA&I
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane View Post
I know moms who have, but not by choice. They weren't able to bf in the beginning and their lo had a very hard time latching on.

Personally, I couldn't imagine exclusively pumping and I give so much KUDOS to the moms who do. What a major commitment and a major love for their lo's. I dread having to pump every other month or 2 for the occasional bottle if we go out.
Well thats the problem. I should know better than to post when I am sleep deprived. I leave out a ton of important info

We are having some pretty rough latching issues right now that I think are thrush related (gotta wait until Monday to see the LC). I have done a million and a half things to reduce/ get rid of the thrush and nothing is working (GSE (tabs and topically), GV, reducing sugars/ dairy, nystatin (with DS it only made things worse last time, not doing it this time)). I battled it the entire time I BFed my son as well (14 months).

I would like to keep her on the breast if I can but she needs to be able to eat too. DF gave her a bottle the other day as I was out longer than I expected to be (for the second time, I should know better) and he said she took it just fine. So I feel sort of at a loss and hope the LC can help me out Monday.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:38 PM   #7
daisy0306
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been EPing for 10 months Honestly mama, I wouldn't do it if you don't HAVE to. It is hard to keep your supply up simply because once your little one gets older it's really hard to find the time in your day. When DD was younger it was easier b/c I would pump when she slept, about every 2 hours. Now she doesn't nap as often so I have to find alternate times. Plus I have a mischevious 2yo running around on top of it.

I have days that I volume pump, pump twice a day and pump EVERY little drop that I can, and wait for more than one letdown, but that is very time consuming. I try to only do that at night when the kids are both in bed, or one is and DH is home. Makes for very little "you" time, and very little time with your DH, not to mention your other kids.

I won't lie to you, DD gets about 10 oz a formula a week as well as whatever solids she wants. Sometimes she needs to eat and I just don't have anything for her. Pumping is like having twins. You still have to feed your LO, which takes just as long as nursing, plus you have to pump on top of that.

Once you get BFing established, though, I don't see why you can't pump off a bottle now and again so others can feed baby.

If you decide to EP, make sure you pump like a crazy woman and build up a frozen stash so you don't have to use formula. But that's easier said than done.

Also, be prepared to buy more than one pump and make sure you have a back-up. In the 10 months I have been pumping I have broken 3 pumps, rented one to use while I waited for the other,and had one (my fave ) recalled.

Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions
daisy0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:26 PM   #8
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I EPed for the first 2.5 weeks because dd2 was in the NICU, first on tube feeds then trying-to-learn-to-eat sessions where she would get her tube feeding afterwards anyway, then bottle feeds when I wasn't there or she was too tired to try and learn to bf. It's totally doable, but I wouldn't choose EPing unless I had to like that. I am still pumping half of the day because I work full-time, and it's not bad, but I don't want to go back to pumping in the middle of the night . If you want to pump and bf for a little while, I'd (as a pp said) pump like a mad woman, get a good freezer stash/supply going, and (as much as possible with the fun medical issues), keep putting baby to the breast. I know there are like-the-boob bottles out there, but we never used them (dd2 would only use stage two nipples probably because I have super-strong letdown, and all of our fancy like-the-boob bottles were newborn or stage 1, and she would just scream until she got one that poured milk).
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:42 PM   #9
zsusana
Registered Users
seller

It sounds like you are not talking about exclusively pumping, but just pumping until this problem is resolved. I think pumping once in a while and bottle feeding is a good thing if you are going back to work, AND you and LO have a good breastfeeding relationship established. We introduced a bottle for the first time at 3 1/2 weeks and really we waited too long in our case, as DD was very hesitant to take it then and it took a lot of weeks of work to get her to do so. BUT, nursing was going swimmingly for us and we only did it once every couple of days, until 6 weeks, when we started doing one bottle of breastmilk a day.
My baby is 8 1/2 months old now. On my birth board on another board there were probably 30-50 women who were exclusively pumping in the beginning. To the best of my knowledge, all of those babies are strictly on formula now. It is very hard to do for a long time.
If you have thrush problems, that will add even more work, as you have to sterilize all the pumping parts and bottles every day too. I would guess you know, since you dealt with it with DS, but for us GSE taken orally by me knocked thrush right out, so I'm a little surprized it didn't work for you. Sorry!
I think a lactation consultant would be the best answer. Until then I'd try to breastfeed as much as possible, but I wouldn't stress and occasional bottle.
Good luck!

Super Summer SALE at Soleil - FFS, low reserve auction and deep discounts July 8 - 12!
zsusana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:48 PM   #10
Apple_Dumplin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm an EP'er (well kind of!) We had several different issues in the hospital and ended up doing exclusive pumping.. then she got used to it and refused to nurse. It wasn't until about 8 weeks old that she actually started nursing.. and then it's still hit and miss. I still pump the majority of her milk, but she usually will breast feed once a day- unless she's sick and then she will refuse all together.

I will say that even though you sometimes can get a lot at first while EP'ing.. that it is harder to keep your supply up! My issues came around the 4 month mark. I talked with the LC about it and she said thats when most EP'ers start to have difficulty due to the hormone changes that occur. I'm at the point where I'm working sooooo hard to get my supply back up, and we are having to supplement with formula. I just want to say that it doesn't have to be one or the other.. as long as your babe doesn't get confused you could pump and nurse at times. I hope you guys are able to resolve your issues soon!

ISO: OBGE's in like new or VGUC in Sassy, Ribbit, and Noodle- Please PM me!

Last edited by Apple_Dumplin; 06-14-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Apple_Dumplin is offline   Reply With Quote