Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-27-2006, 04:56 AM   #1
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

Does it get harder...

...to be a parent once your baby's not a baby any more? Once they start walking and talking and become aware of what's going on around them, is it harder to get things done? Is it more of a challenge to look after them? Would you say that taking care of a child is less pleasent than taking care of a baby?

I probably sound really stupid here but I wanna know!

Advertisement

#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:14 AM   #2
happymomma
Registered Users

Re: Does it get harder...

I think once a baby is not a baby anymore, it does get a little harder. You do everything for a baby and it seems hard at times, but looking after a child who is walking and talking can be such a handful.
You can't just lay them down and go do something, come back and they are still there, lol. My kids were always under foot once they started to get around. It was harder to get things done around the house and it kind of still is. I have learned if the are being too quite, they are up to something.
So yes, at times it is less pleasent to care for a child then it is to care for a helpless baby. (they can't get into anything)
happymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:39 AM   #3
movaly1
Registered Users
seller

Everything the pp said.
movaly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:20 AM   #4
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think it kind of depends on the baby/child I don't want him to hurry and age...because they're only little for a short time..and I'm not having any more babies....but with that said, i'm anxious for my 'baby' (13 months) to be a little more independent...because from birth to now - he's incredibly high needs....very tempermental...VERY clingy...hes like an extra appendage. My first has been fairly 'easy'...except for the 'terrible twos'...as a baby or a toddler.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:29 AM   #5
Timetodance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I much prefer toddler to infant. One thing is that dd is down to one nap a day, and this kid HAS to nap, so that makes life eaiser than when she was napping three times a day.

Everything is a discovery for a toddler. "Water!" "Boats!" "Bridge!". It is all just so exciting, it is really cool to see the world through thier eyes.

I would highly encourge you to teach her signing. I just got a book form the library and taught her the basics:

Food
Drink
More
Please
Thank you

Those basic signs can be so helpful in the months where they want to communicate and they son't have the mouth mechanics yet.

Enjoy!
Timetodance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:47 AM   #6
sparkygirl74
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am loveing the toddler stage, but dd was a hn infant, so it could have only gotten easier
Old 09-27-2006, 09:34 AM   #7
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It depends on the parent. Some prefer babies, some toddlers, some older kids. My favorite is the first six months, I enjoy the second six months almost as much, but it does get more challenging since that's when they learn to get around. My least favorite, the time I find most challenging, is 18mo-4yrs. There are periods of time in there when things get easy for a bit, but pretty soon, they get tough again. Once they are over 4, things settle down quite a bit. They go through SO many emotional changes during that 2.5yrs that it can be downright miserable at times! So far, I found 3 to be the most challenging age.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:06 AM   #8
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:

Hmmm... I have a 2 year old (well 2 in a month) and a 7 month old. I have to agree with the pp though that it depends on the parent (and the child). Once Bailey learned how to say some words, things got so much easier for me. Personally I don't care much for the nb stage 0-6 months as they can't do anything and feed so often, etc... (not much interaction).
I am more of a "hands on" kind of mom. We love doing crafts and getting messy over here... that's not fun really imo until they are over 18 months. I typically don't "get stuff done around the house" until they are asleep (I put them on a sleeping schedule during the day soI get at least 1.5 hours alone). So, no so far I dont' find the toddler ages unpleasant.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:18 AM   #9
1bigfamily
Registered Users
seller

From my experience, it doens't necessarily get harder but it doesn't get easier. There are always new experiences and challenges as they grow. One thing is for sure, it never gets dull! You just have to learn to roll with the punches. All the good times will make it worth all the hard ones, sometimes I even forget them....
Old 09-27-2006, 10:20 AM   #10
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

i think it's just different. it's definitely harder with a toddler just from the point of view that she wants to assert herself/do what she wants not what you want. so i think from that regard "parenting" becomes harder as they get older.

however, it is really nice as they gain independence and can do things for themselves. and it's just fun to see them grow and learn and discover the world. and it does help some of the frustrations of being a parent when they can express their needs/wants to you - of course it also opens up a whole new set of challenges.

i'm also a part-time student and when dd was very small it was easier for me to get my work done b/c she was happy to lay there next to me/near me and look around etc. while i studied. now it's really hard to do that while she's awake. but on the other hand doing laundry or other household chores - she likes to help with those now. or even if she doesn't, she can entertain herself for short periods of time while i'm doing something else. so you know it's a trade off.