Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
dutchess0723
Registered Users

My Mood:
THRUSH! HELP!

Hi,
So my first son was never sick, and therefore I am completely helpless/hapless/hopeless with things like this. Please someone with some experience, offer up your best advice!
My 7 month old has thrush. A friend with 4 kids recognized it as such. It's saturday, and we can't get to the doctor till monday, so in the meantime, these are my questions/concerns:
1) is he uncomfortable? he is fussy, but not NECESSARILY more so than usual.
2) i read that you don't need to treat it. is that true? can you just let it "run it's course?"
3) anyone tried Gentia Violet?
Please, I am very eager to hear your input! Thank you so much for taking the time to help a poor, weekend-stranded soul!

Advertisement

dutchess0723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:56 AM   #2
veggie_mama
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: THRUSH! HELP!

Hi! I'm bumping your post because I don't have an answer, but am interested in other's advice.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
kikkiagouti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thrush can be very uncomfortable and painful depending on how severe it is. If he was uncomfortable you would notice a difference in fussiness. My son had thrush when he was a week old (I gave it to him because I had it when I was pregnant due to antibiotics I had to take). Thrush can be very hard to get rid off and when you think its gone it comes back. If your breastfeeding, change your nursing pads every time he eats and wipe your nipples off with a solution of half vinager and half water. Clean anything that goes in his mouth with vinager daily. You should also be treated for thrush if you are nursing because it can be dormant in your body and you can keep giving it to him. Things he spits up on such as bibs, sheets, cloths anythign when washed you should throw in some vinager. I had a horrible time clearing us of thrush. Can the white in the inside of his mouth be wiped away? If so that isnt thrush. I have not tried Gentia Violet but I heard it works. You can wait and see if it goes away (that was our only option after trying everything to get rid of it) but dont let it get too bad or else it can get so bad he bleeds. Also if your breastfeeding you can get it in yours boobs which is very painful. Sorry that was so long and I hope some of that was helpful!
Old 06-15-2008, 11:38 AM   #4
abbi77
Registered Users

My Mood:

BTDT!! My 2nd dd & I had thrush from about 4 months to about 7 months. I'm glad to hear he's not uncomfortable, but I would def. treat it asap. Ours was actually misdiagnosed as mastitis when it started causing me pain. After 3 rounds of atb that didn't help and doing some research online, I figured out that it was thrush. We went to the ped & tried nystatin, but that didn't really work well for us, either. Gentian violet was a LIFESAVER. Ours was pretty tough stuff, so we ended up treating 2-3 times before it was finally gone for good, but it was fairly easy, although messy...we used a bit on a cotton swab to paint my nipple right before latching her on, obviously on each side. Be warned, though...that stuff stains. My nursing bras all had purple spots, as my nips would stay purple for a day or so after and then rub off on them, and my babe had a purple mouth for a day or 2 after. We just stayed @ home, lol, because we didn't want anyone to think she was seriously ill. Here's a link for you...

http://www.kellymom.com/newman/06gentian_violet.html

and reading through it, it does say it's not necessary to treat if it's only in baby's mouth, and they don't seem uncomfortable. Personally, with the nightmare I had with thrush, I'd probably do it just in case, but that's just me.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:37 PM   #5
glupton
Registered Users
seller

I don't know that much about thrush, but I know that I had a terrible nipple yeast infection for a long time and we treated DS for thrush at the same time even though I'm unsure if he ever really had it. Supposedly you should treat both otherwise you will continue to reinfect each other. He took prescription meds (Nystatin), but I used Lotrimin AF cream (over-the-counter) antifungal on me about twice a day (you don't wash it off before feeding DC) and started taking acidophilous pills once a day and it is finally gone now! I still take the acidophilous just to be safe.

Also, wash anything coming in contact in HOT water, and boil pacifiers/nipples after use.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:58 AM   #6
chpiper
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom&BabyNaturally
seller

My Mood:

I have heard mixed reviews on Gentian Violet...For some it seems to work wonders and for others, not so much...

The most effective treatment I have seen has been grapefruit seed extract. It comes in a liquid you can dilute and wash baby's mouth with it, you can take it orally (diluted or in pill form), it can be used in the laundry to kill off any yeast in clothing and diapers..

Good luck, mama!
chpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:09 AM   #7
ourfamilyof5
Registered Users
Formerly: jaydenandsethsmommy
seller

My Mood:

I have 2 words for you: Gentian Violet! Walgreens ordered it for me & it worked almost immediately! You dab a little on a q-tip into the baby's mouth & as they nurse it penitrates into the nipple. It's a natural antiseptic. I simpithize w/ you, I have had it a few times myself.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:07 PM   #8
autumnlily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

An additional tip not mentioned:

Probiotics for both of you! You can consume it in yogurt with live cultures or take it in capsule form. You can break a capsule open and mix it with a little breastmilk for your son.

I give my twins NaturesWay Primadophilus (sp?) daily. It's for digestion balance too!

Good luck!
Old 06-18-2008, 08:11 PM   #9
discodiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just came to this thread to see if anyone had this I think well am pretty sure I have mastitus and dd has thrush, anyone know if its ok to give her yo baby yogurt to get those active cultures in her mouth? she is almost 8 months old I have a prescription to pick up tomorrow of that nysastin(sp?) to give her but I like going a natural route first of possible
thanks
Old 06-18-2008, 08:19 PM   #10
prairiegirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchess0723 View Post
Hi,
So my first son was never sick, and therefore I am completely helpless/hapless/hopeless with things like this. Please someone with some experience, offer up your best advice!
My 7 month old has thrush. A friend with 4 kids recognized it as such. It's saturday, and we can't get to the doctor till monday, so in the meantime, these are my questions/concerns:
1) is he uncomfortable? he is fussy, but not NECESSARILY more so than usual.
2) i read that you don't need to treat it. is that true? can you just let it "run it's course?"
3) anyone tried Gentia Violet?
Please, I am very eager to hear your input! Thank you so much for taking the time to help a poor, weekend-stranded soul!
gentian violet is messy but is awsome..it will knock it out quick. yes sometimes you can just let it run its course but using GV dosent "hurt" and if it gets bad....its WAYY painful for you. it usually dosent bother the lil one, but your breasts get VERY sore can crack and cause it to be very painful to nurse. take my word on it lol....my ods had it once and yds has now had it twice and its best to get it knocked out as quickly as possible