Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-15-2008, 01:31 PM   #11
robertribeye
Registered Users
seller

Re: Karo syrup and constipation question! HELP!!

we used the syrup mixed with warm water and it worked. But That is what my grandma told us to do. So I did and it worked. NOw that being said. I found that anything that starts with a p works good, pears, pear juice, prunes, prune juice, pineapple(would be too acid though for you little one), and stick away from apples and bananas. apples and bananas ontop of rice are a combination for constipation, that is what my doc told me. It is basically the brat diet that they give kids with severe diareaha (ie. Banana Rice Applesauce Toast) We had a hardtime with rice and did better with ferina cereal. But you would have to ask your doc first, because it has wheat in it and they like you to start with rice.Then after that we did oatmeal.
Ohh I also bought this natural lax. in the baby section I couldn't even make her take it is was so discusting (looked like tar and smelled like rat vitamins ). Adding water with a nice warm bath, mabe lube her up a little with ky and give her a tummy massage. Those all helped a little, mostly the warm bath. Never failed, they would always start to poop in it . We had 1 that was ALWAYS stopped up. Rabbit rolly pollys in her diaper until she was 3. That was just who she was. None of my others were like that. So we've used many things to help her. And when she was little, the fastest least upsetting ( juice and fruit would give her gas and upset her tummy cause she wasn't ready for it) for her was the karo syrup. good luck.~ Windy

Advertisement

Old 06-15-2008, 01:35 PM   #12
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No Karo. It runs the same botulism risk as honey. That advice is really outdated, which is why our grandmas tell us to do. Better would be to try some fruit or fruit juice (warm) to help with the constipation.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #13
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Adding solids will definitely change how they poop. I think it's pretty normal for a baby who went several times a day/week to not go when starting solids. Especially rice - rice is part of the BRAT diet which stops diarrhea.

I would give her pear juice, or prune juice (diluted) over karo syrup ANY DAY! I can't imagine that is very good for a little ones tummy who is already seemingly uncomfy.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:38 PM   #14
isis0821
Registered Users
seller

My DS was EBF when we started rice cereal, and he didn't poop for 3 days! He had always pooped at least once/day (never went days without like some BF babies), so I called the advice nurse at my ped's office. She said to give him prunes or pears and stop the rice cereal, because it's very binding. We gave him some pears and voila! He had the biggest poop ever the next day. She said we should switch him to oatmeal instead, since that's less likely to cause constipation.
isis0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:15 PM   #15
eilla05
Registered Users
seller

weird cause my pedi told us to do karo and we have since he was prob 6 months on. he gets that in his bottles and prunes every night for dinner!!

I would say try prunes and see if they work then try karo worse case you TMI WARNING
might try using a thermometer (WELL lubed of course) just a tiny amount in there and that sometimes works enough to get them going. I took my guy in once for this and that is exactly what they did and it worked!
Old 06-17-2008, 10:45 PM   #16
blessedmomof2!
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by isis0821 View Post
My DS was EBF when we started rice cereal, and he didn't poop for 3 days! He had always pooped at least once/day (never went days without like some BF babies), so I called the advice nurse at my ped's office. She said to give him prunes or pears and stop the rice cereal, because it's very binding. We gave him some pears and voila! He had the biggest poop ever the next day. She said we should switch him to oatmeal instead, since that's less likely to cause constipation.
My mom watched her for me the other day and she gave her water with Karo syrup and she had a very big poop last night and she went again today. I did buy some prunes but have not given it to her yet. I think I may try giving her some water without the Karo syrup to see if that still helps. I am not too excited about her having all that sugar! I will also stop the rice cereal and start with the oatmeal. I was thinking of putting regular oatmeal in a grinder and cooking it instead of the stinky Gerber cereal. Has anyone done this and can share their experience?
blessedmomof2! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:56 PM   #17
TLBW31
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Reg oatmeal isn't single grain like infant cereal. Its not the same thing.

I have 2 that have constipation issues and I have tried it all! The best things I found were pear juice (an oz or 2 undiluted), taking the temp rectally, and with my formula fed babes- I slightly diluted the formula. Instead of 6 oz water with 3 scoops I would do 7 oz for example. We are still dealing with it at 15 months and 5 yrs! What works now is fresh fruit, lots of it!
Old 06-20-2008, 10:38 AM   #18
saanthony12
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i use it all the time even my ped told me to one bottle of water with kayro every day - it works - love it
Old 06-20-2008, 11:40 AM   #19
rkjmom3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Rice cereal was constipating for my daughter also. I did add prunes which helped, but the doctor also suggested switching to oatmeal...never have had a problem since. I was giving her prunes every other day, but now I don't worry about having to give them to her! She does love them, however. You can start fruits, the main thing is only starting one new food at a time for 4-7 days.

Karo syrup is supposed to help with constipation but I would avoid that route if I could. Don't dismiss eating prunes yourself if you are BF. With my older son, eating prunes myself and cutting back on dairy helped.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:44 AM   #20
jess71903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My advice is to stop the cereal and try again at 6 months. The newest advice from the APA is for babies to have nothing but breastmilk or formula until at least 6 months of age because their digestive systems are not mature enough to handle it yet (even if they are showing the other signs of readiness). Here is a good explanation of it. We did nothing but breast milk until 6 months, but DS still wasn't ready. He really didn't take off until 7 1/2 months.

That said, my ped told us to try dark Karo when we did start solids and DS went over a week with no poop. It didn't seem to do much for us. P- fruits (pears, peaches, prunes) do a much better job. Rice cereal is pretty nasty and nutritionally crappy anyway. DS HATED it (I have heard breastfed babies do because they are used to the sweet taste of breastmilk). We started with avocado and sweet potatoes.

Gage is Redefining Spina Bifida

Last edited by jess71903; 06-20-2008 at 11:46 AM.
jess71903 is offline   Reply With Quote