Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-30-2006, 09:20 PM   #11
davechan2003
Registered Users
seller

Re: Yet another question about boy parts...

Yep GSE is grapefruit seed extract. The only thing that cleared up the yeast for us with Anna. Wish I'd know about it when Alex had one. Works great!!!

Advertisement

Old 09-30-2006, 09:24 PM   #12
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Awesome, thanks mamas! I think I'll try to find some because I'm not seeing any improvement with these creams and antibiotics.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:43 PM   #13
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
Awesome, thanks mamas! I think I'll try to find some because I'm not seeing any improvement with these creams and antibiotics.
I only have a girl, but aren't antibiotics worse for yeast than anything else? Doesn't it break down the good stuff that keeps yeast at bay. (sorry battled thrush for many months and that was the first thing that stuck in my head)

I hope your little guy feels better soon.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:40 PM   #14
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

feed him yogurt if he'll take it and did they tell you or give you any lotrimin? i read that this is best for yeast?
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:49 PM   #15
GrandIsp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, for yeast definitely yogurt. EVen better, find an oral probiotic (basically live active yeast cultures like acidophilus) that you can give DS. They sell this in health food stores...you need the kind that is refridgerated. If he's nursing, you should take it too. If not, they sell kinds that little ones can take with their food or whatever - it's in powder or liquid form. This will help fight the yeast from the 'inside out'.

And yes, lotrimin (or Monistat even) will help against yeast externally. Not sure about putting it on boy parts. I put it on my nipples when I had thrush (along with taking GSE and probiotics) and it helped tremendously.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:50 PM   #16
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschrimp View Post
If it is yeast, the neosporin will make it worse.
Actually that's not true.. you're thinking of cortisone or cortisol cream. Neosporin is just an anti-bacterial.. it's not a steroid cream. Steroid creams will make yeast/fungal infections worse... it's how most people realize they have ringworm (which is a fungal infection). They think it's just a rash, put cortaid on it, and it gets WAY worse.

That said, the neomycin in the neosporin CAN potentially cause rashes on it's own. It's a fairly common antibiotic to be allergic to. Our pedi actually strongly recommended AGAINST using it in the diaper area because of this.. it becomes difficult to tell if the rash you are dealing with was the original rash, or a rash caused by the neomycin. She recommended using Triple Paste anytime I was concerned over bacterial infection (such as those nice sores they can get with acid poops ) since it seems to be better tolerated by most babies.

BTW, I'm glad you figured out it was yeast and your pedi is a non-circ supporter Hopefully your DS will be back to normal soon
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:56 PM   #17
MamaJo
Go sell crazy some place else, we're all stocked up here.
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaelovesenglish View Post
I only have a girl, but aren't antibiotics worse for yeast than anything else? Doesn't it break down the good stuff that keeps yeast at bay. (sorry battled thrush for many months and that was the first thing that stuck in my head)

I hope your little guy feels better soon.
Yeah...I was wondering about that too. Did your doc really prescribe antibiotics?

I have recipe for a "rinse" for yeast infections...somewhere. Its basically ACV, distilled water and a blend of essential oils....let me know if you're interested and I'll see if I can find it. It would probably make a good wipe solution or rinse. Even if you just use ACV/water that would be good too.

Oh, and check your local health food store for probiotics for babies - the good stuff, the stuff worth buying will be in the fridge

Taking a break to focus on God & family

Last edited by MamaJo; 09-30-2006 at 11:57 PM.
MamaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:15 AM   #18
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

You mommas always have such good advise!
Old 10-01-2006, 12:27 AM   #19
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Oops, sorry, I don't know what I'm talking about. Its not an antibiotic, its an antifungal medicine called Fluconazole. (This reminds me of Diflucan so I bet its the same thing only for little ones (and its taken by mouth).

The two topical things is a cream called Nystatin (it says its an antifungal and steriod combo) and an ointment called Mupirocin (it says its an antibacterial used to treat impetigo).

Quote:
feed him yogurt if he'll take it and did they tell you or give you any lotrimin? i read that this is best for yeast?
Yup, he loves yogurt. I just bought some more but didn't think to feed him any yet. I'll do that tomorrow!

Quote:
Actually that's not true.. you're thinking of cortisone or cortisol cream. Neosporin is just an anti-bacterial.. it's not a steroid cream. Steroid creams will make yeast/fungal infections worse... it's how most people realize they have ringworm (which is a fungal infection). They think it's just a rash, put cortaid on it, and it gets WAY worse.
What??? Then why does my antifungal stuff have a steroid in it? Gah.

Quote:
I have recipe for a "rinse" for yeast infections...somewhere. Its basically ACV, distilled water and a blend of essential oils....let me know if you're interested and I'll see if I can find it. It would probably make a good wipe solution or rinse. Even if you just use ACV/water that would be good too.
That's sounds cool, thanks. What's ACV though?

I'll see if I can find that probiotic too... can't get it tomorrow though, DH works the WHOLE day.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:28 AM   #20
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
You mommas always have such good advise!
Hehehe, I know, I like it here.