Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-16-2008, 08:20 AM   #1
akp0023
Registered Users

Tell me about your International Adoption

Hi! My husband and I have both been certain we wanted to adopt since before we even bagan dating. We have a 4 month old biological child and we are now ready to begin the process of adding another to our family through adoption.

We are leaning towards international adoption so I would love to hear anything and everything about your international adoption. Who is your agency? What country are you adopting from? How long has the process taken from the beginning of the paperwork until the end (or wherever you are now). What else do you wish someone would have told you about when you were first starting out?

We figure our process will be even more time consuming/frusturating than usual because we are US citizens living abroad and have to follow 3 sets of laws (US, adopting country, and Japanese laws). I've dreamt about this since I was in high school. It has been a LONG time and I'm so ecstatic that the day is here!!!

Advertisement

Old 06-26-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
KOREAadopt
Registered Users
Formerly: drizzt76
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell me about your International Adoption

Hi
Hope I can help!

We went thru Holt international, We adopted from korea, 5 months and baby was home but that is rare we went thru the waiting child program, our daughter was a preemie.

We adopted our DD off the holt waiting child board and from application to her coming home was 7 months! But that is very unusual. When we went to committee for her and we were chosen she was home in 5 months! Hope this doesn't get long and boring for you, but we first were going to go thru China until they told me the looooong wait and I got the HUGE BOOK for the dossier and I was sad to hear it would be years before I held my baby girl. SOOO I talked to a friend who adopted thru korea and she said the paperwork was so easy! I went on the waiting child website under korea and saw my baby girl! 2 other families were interested also, then 1 backed out and 1 still wanted her so the committee meets after talking with you and your hubby and talks about your family and who the child would fit better with. We were choosen, that day I was so happy but so sad for the other family who was told no I tried to put myself in thier place very hard emotional day. I could not imagine how it felt.

Since we didn't have any homestudy andything done the paperwork had to begin!!! We finished our homestudy in 2 months then waited for the immigration approval ect. She finally came home dec 26!

some good agencies are Holt international and CHSFS
you can look at waiting children on www.rainbowkids.com sign up it is free.
HTH

Last edited by KOREAadopt; 06-26-2008 at 07:07 PM.
KOREAadopt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:47 AM   #3
beansmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

We've adopted twice from Ethiopia!! Each process took around 9months (neat huh?). Our first adoption was very quick because the program was brand new and there was only two other agencies working in the country. Our second was a little longer (I'm talking wait time for refferal) because it was after the whole Angelia Jole adoption (she copied us ).

We chose Ethiopia because of the culture. Absolutley amazing. To have nothing and to be giving of the little you have, to help others and to really raise a child by the phrase "it takes a village" Also we felt as though this is the country we should be adoptiong from. The kids are VERY well cared for in the orphanage and we were able to adopt are children and a young age. Our DD was 3.5months when she came home and our DS was 4months when he came home.

What I wish we had thought about was how many children we wanted so that we could have adopted a sibling group either the first or second time since now we are talking about adopting again. If you ever want to talk adoption feel free to write I love to talk about adoption and Ethiopia.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:18 AM   #4
ajcastle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are at the very very very very end of a very long journey to our daughter through Korean adoption.

We are working with Family and Childrens agency here in the USA as our placing agency, Rainbow House International as our homestudy agency and SWS in Korea. We have had so-so experiences with our US agencies. Good and bad mixed. SWS in Korea has been AMAZING. They have been so complete in all their info and getting us what we need. One last step is needed from them before we get "the call!!" to get our daughter. I am hoping that their diligence and speediness will still apply now!

From initial application to our impending travel call it has been just over 2 years to this point Good luck to you and whatever your decision will be!
Old 07-01-2008, 09:30 AM   #5
nemawei
DS Addict!
seller

My Mood:

What I wish we had thought about was how many children we wanted so that we could have adopted a sibling group either the first or second time since now we are talking about adopting again.

This is a great point I wouldn't have thought of!

nemawei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:22 PM   #6
TestifyToLove
Registered Users
seller

If you don't want an infant, you can adopt in Japan and have the advantage of adopting under domestic laws versus international. While adoption is not very common in Japan, there are orphanages full of children, and many of those children are free for adoption. There's approximately 20 children a year who are adopted from Japan into American homes, iirc. It is absolutely a viable option.

I had friends who adopted from Sierra Leone while living as ex-pats in Europe. They had to meet adoption requirements for both the European country and the US. Took them more time, specifically they had to travel to Sierra Leone and see the culture before they could proceed. But, they didn't regret it ever.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:43 AM   #7
wickedwickedwitch
Registered Users

We adopted last year through Vietnam. We were in line for China and were told that our one year wait would be more like 6-7. It has gotten very, very slow. I suggest you look at if you want to see how slow things are.

Vietnam is unfortunately closing soon so that option is probably out for us. We are interested in Korea or Ethiopia for our next adoption.

It seems like international adoption in general is slowing down and shifting more towards Africa.
wickedwickedwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:13 AM   #8
TestifyToLove
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Vietnam is unfortunately closing soon so that option is probably out for us.
Vietnam is closing to US adoptions. When living in another nation as ex-pat, you aren't bound by the requirements of the US for an adoption. You need to be sure you will either be able to live with your child overseas for 2 years before wanting to bring them into the US, or follow US requirements. But, long-term ex-pats have NO problem following local adoption laws, living overseas for years and gaining recognizing by the US government under the lovely loophole that a child who has lived as your child for 2 years and you have provided care for is recognized as your legal child by US Immigration laws.

Angelina Joilie actually avoided the mess that was Cambodia at the time because she took this loophole with Maddox. And, there were families where the wife lived in Cambodia for those 2 years when it closed because they refused to let go of their babies.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:22 PM   #9
misslissa
Registered Users

We found a waiting child that was matched with a grant from Brittany's Hope Foundation. He's a preemie in Korea. We just started the process and are hoping to travel in 6 months.
www.thecorkums.com
misslissa is offline   Reply With Quote