Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-16-2008, 11:30 AM   #1
paintedbison
Registered Users
seller

Would you leave 13 month old nursling overnight?

DS will be 13 months old at the time of this trip. We are going to San Antonio, which is near DH's parents house. We are going to stay in a hotel and go to Sea World with DH's parents. DH's mom offered to take the kids home with her for a night and DH and I could go to Schlitterbohn (sp?) and stay in a hotel alone for a night.

DD is 3.5 years and I think she would do fine (she's spent two nights at DH's parents before). But, I'm a little worried about leaving DS. He nurses to sleep every night and sometimes wakes up at night and nurses back to sleep. He usually nurses approximately four times during the day. I could nurse him in the morning before they left (get one time in). Then we would have him back the next morning.

I think he'd do okay without nursing during the day because I can usually distract him really easily if I don't want to nurse him. I think he'd be occupied enough being in a new place to not think about nursing.

I'm just a little worried about him not sleeping. At the same time, DH and I have not had a single night alone since we had DD 3.5 years ago. It would be fun... DH's parents and my parents both live over 6 hours away (DH's parents are about 9 hours from us). So, we never even get to go out on a date. The whole idea tempts me.

Do you think he's too young to try this? I could pump while away from him... DH's mom said she'll be fine even if he doesn't sleep. I just can't stand the idea of him crying for his mama...

Also, would you send a bottle? The last bottle he got was in February when I was working part time... I haven't started cows milk yet and I have no pumped milk (nor do I want to mess with transporting pumped milk all the way there). Would you try cows milk and have MIL give him that in a bottle? Or juice maybe?

HELP!

Advertisement

Old 06-16-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
sweetpeasbowtique
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Would you leave 13 month old nursling overnight?

I could type something else but I know me and what I would do. I would let him stay w/ me because I would be so worried about it I wouldn't have a good time. But you know your personality better than me.

Beautiful Custom Boutique Hairbows and more!!
www.spbowtique.com
sweetpeasbowtique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:42 AM   #3
eco-baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Does he take a sippy cup yet? I swithched my dd to a cup at 15M ( she nursed like 5 x's a nite and I needed sleep!), I gave her vanilla soy milk cuz it's sweeter like mama's milk, andshe loved it - I think babies do well with grama's luk what you decide !
Old 06-16-2008, 12:04 PM   #4
paintedbison
Registered Users
seller

Yep... he takes a sippy. I just was thinking he might fall asleep with a bottle.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:14 PM   #5
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't really know. I don't think I would, but that's just me. You know your ds best and how he might do.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:20 PM   #6
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

As long as the rents are ok with maybe being up all night with a cranky baby!
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:21 PM   #7
mommy020507
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

myself wouldn't do it but if you are close by maybe have the cell phone nearby and they need you they would give ya a call.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:26 PM   #8
paintedbison
Registered Users
seller

Man... maybe I shouldn't. I think the worst part is we have nobody to babysit or help out at all. We haven't had a dinner or night out without kids in forever. It's so tempting to just have a day as a couple. (and night, lol!). Maybe I should just wait until he's older... of course with my luck there'll be another baby by the time he's older, lol!
Old 06-16-2008, 01:32 PM   #9
eco-baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mama, DO IT!! Your baby will be fine! One cranky nite (if that even happens) will not leave lasting emotional scars on you LO, and he takes a sippy/solids so he won't starve, it's amazing how Grandma's are so good at soothing the LO...anyways it sounds like you NEED to spend some time with DH, it'll be fun, everyone will survive and you'll feel so much better.....
I speak from experience with my DD, when she was 4 years I had been out a total of 4 times, the fourth time I realized - LOL I really needed to get out more , so go and have fun mama, he'll be just fine
Old 06-16-2008, 01:47 PM   #10
txmom72
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had to leave my DS with my mom for a weekend when DH was in the hospital last year. He was about 9 mos old, and did amazingly well. You might be surprised, your LO will probably do great for his grandma.
txmom72 is offline   Reply With Quote