Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-16-2008, 06:57 PM   #1
LisaEileen
Registered Users

Is formula more filling than breastmilk?

I watch my Grandson when my dd works. He will be 3 months old on the 19th. Angi breastfeeds almost exclusively and pumps bottles for me to give him most of the time. But, there are times she doesn't and I will give him formula. I only formula fed my oldest and being that was almost 20 years ago, my memory really fails me on this one.

Liam will drink about 2oz and I'll burp him. After that, he acts like he doesn't want anymore. I'm trying to figure out if maybe the formula makes his tummy feel more full that breastmilk or if there's another issue. The problem is that then in about 2 hours, he acts hungry again and will drink about another ounce. Sometimes 2 oz. When he nurses he goes about 3-3 1/2 hours between feedings. When Angi pumps, she gets about 4oz, so that's what I'm assuming he should be drinking.

Do you think the formula fills him up faster? How much formula should he be eating at each feeding for his age? I'm not too sure of his weight. I think it's about 14 pounds?

Advertisement

LisaEileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:12 PM   #2
clothmamaof4
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is formula more filling than breastmilk?

I don't remember about the filling a baby up faster part but it seems logical because I do know that it takes longer for a baby to digest formula and Breastmilk is easier to digest (hence the less stomach and bowel issues of BF babies) and so a BF baby eats more often because of this faster digestion. If it's cow's milk based formula that is more likely the case, regular milk expands like nobodies business in the stomach.
clothmamaof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
LisaEileen
Registered Users

She's just using the samples she got from the hospital. One can is Similac and the other is Isomil. I'm guessing they both will be digested differently since one is soy? I personally don't think it's a good idea to use both of those. I think she should stick with the Similac since he's not having any issues with it. Do you think switching between the two will cause a problem?
LisaEileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:39 PM   #4
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaEileen View Post
She's just using the samples she got from the hospital. One can is Similac and the other is Isomil. I'm guessing they both will be digested differently since one is soy? I personally don't think it's a good idea to use both of those. I think she should stick with the Similac since he's not having any issues with it. Do you think switching between the two will cause a problem?
Switching formulas is actually really hard on babies. I wouldn't unless you have to.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:20 PM   #5
eilla05
Registered Users
seller

Yeah she shouldnt be switching back and forth between two types. Sometimes even changing the brand but using say the reg run of the mill formula will cause issues.

as to the orignal ?

I always thought it was the opposite! I thought babies would go longer with formula than with BM clearly not the case here. I dunno! When my guy was eating BM at that age it was about 3oz every 3 hours or so. So it sounds like he is eating what he should.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:10 PM   #6
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He probably isn't real thrilled with the taste of the formula vs breastmilk and is just taking the bare minimum to ease the hunger, and that's why he's getting hungry more often.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:25 PM   #7
chipmunk
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydn'smommy View Post
He probably isn't real thrilled with the taste of the formula vs breastmilk and is just taking the bare minimum to ease the hunger, and that's why he's getting hungry more often.
I would agree with this! Does she leave any expressed breastmilk for you? I would try mixing it 50/50 or 75 BM/25 Formula to make it more palatable although I still wouldn't give more than 2-4 oz at a time.
Tracy (32) DH (38) DD#1 (3) DD#2 (1)
chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:43 PM   #8
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You can switch between cowsmilk formulas or soy formulas, but you shouldn't switch from soy to cows, or vice versa. It's really hard for them to digest. I had a friend who mixed the two powders together, but I wouldn't do that either...
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:46 PM   #9
dancnfool
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunk View Post
I would agree with this! Does she leave any expressed breastmilk for you? I would try mixing it 50/50 or 75 BM/25 Formula to make it more palatable although I still wouldn't give more than 2-4 oz at a time.
Mixing is a great idea - should help minimize the digestive issues as well.
dancnfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:14 PM   #10
KristenDay
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydn'smommy View Post
I agree with this too. But, it is really hard on babies to switch from breastmilk, to formula.. And deff. harder with 2 different types of formula and breastmilk. Formula is thicker and will fill him up faster. But, no.. Just because she pumps 4 ounces doesn't mean he will eat that much. Sometimes babies will just eat a little. At that age my breastfed some would do the same thing if I pumped and gave it to him. At first I could pump like 8 ounces at a time and he would only drink about 1-2 ounces and then be hunger in about 2 hours.

Some people will tell you to put rice cereal in his milk to make him full longer, but it is really bad to do that with babies. A lot of people are probably going to tell me I am wrong about this, but it even says on the box not to serve in a bottle.

I personally think that she needs to leave more expressed milk with you. He is used to that kinda milk and may only want that. It is a lot better for him :] Also, if you heat the breastmilk up in the microwave... He probably won't drink it because it kills all the nutrients in it and makes it taste nasty. I have been pumping once or twice a day the past few weeks and am getting a pretty good stash going for when I start back to school.

But, if she doesn't want to pump that much, I think it would be a good idea to stick to one kinda formula and mix it 50/50 or 75/25 like a previous poster... With the 75/25 I would make 75 breastmilk/ 25 formula.

I hope this helped.
KristenDay is offline   Reply With Quote