Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-17-2008, 07:19 AM   #1
Earthmama97
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Help Stinky Bumgenius!!!

Hello all. I need some advice please! We have horrible well water and I have always had issues with diapers being stinky. Now they seem to wash fine and don't smell at first but as soon as they are wet in they get a VERY strong skunky, icky smell. In the past I would just use a little bit of vinegar and that seemed to help some but now that I have Bumgenius also I am washing with them I have read not to use Vinegar with them. What can I use safely. I have tried using some Borax, I've tried varying how I wash different cold or hot washes...and nothing works they smell terrible!! I am using about a tablespoon of Allens Natural detergent with the cycle set on high level. I have tried Purex free and clear as well with no difference. I'm at a loss as to what to try! Do I need to strip them? I've only been using my Bumgenius for a few weeks but it doesn't seem like they were like this at first. Could my water be so bad that it has built up on them already? Help please...

Advertisement

Earthmama97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:36 AM   #2
Jordan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help Stinky Bumgenius!!!

I would strip them in some super hot water or boil them. You could try some oxy-clean too.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
Jerian
Registered Users

My Mood:

It sounds like you have sulphur or methane in your water, maybe. Do you have an inline filter? If not that might help, at least it did for me.
Jerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:03 AM   #4
Earthmama97
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes we DO have sulphur in our water!! We have a small filter that hooks to our main line is that what you mean? I know we need to change out the filter.. hmm.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #5
kar11977
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Im having this same problem. I jsut started cding last week. After 1 use and then a cold wash and then hot wash with extra rinse with ALlens,they still had a stink to them. The other day i used about 1/4 cup baking soda with 1/4 vin in the rinse and no smells. THen i saw on the bg paper that you arent supposed to use thos things. Can they ruin the dipes? I also have hard well water but we do have a water softener so i dont know what my problem is. Im hoping someone can give advice.
kar11977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:12 AM   #6
rainbowbrite812
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I would strip them in some super hot water or boil them. You could try some oxy-clean too.

you can't boil pul...so don't do that. some nice hot washes, try to add a capful of bleach if you want (i've done so and it's definitely helped) you could also try and switch detergents...i was going thru a spell where everything i tried failed and i just gave regular ole' Tide a try and bingo...the stink was gone

10% off code for Oliver's Labels, perfect for back to school! use code KBPG0808
rainbowbrite812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:39 AM   #7
Earthmama97
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have now tried varying wash cycles, stripping with Dawn and Calgon. They were a "bit" better after stripping and Calgon but still stinky. I'm at a loss...
Old 06-20-2008, 11:43 AM   #8
starsandlollipops
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

wash all your microfiber inserts with a 1/4 cup of bleach and HOT water- no detergent, or a squirt of dawn.. they seem to get build up quickly.

I'd replace the filter, my mom had icky well water, but eventually they got city water- I recall them having to change the filter often..
Old 06-21-2008, 07:42 AM   #9
MommyShay923
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: Help Stinky Bumgenius!!!

I finally found a way to battle the stink! LOL

I take a large bucket and fill it with boiling water (2 gallons) and then add two scoops of OxyClean Baby.
I then soak the diapers or inserts for 1-2 hours
Then I squeeze out the excess water and place them in the wash on hot and rinse them twice.
Then wash as normal in hot water and with your usual detergent.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:02 AM   #10
proudmommaof4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The BG inserts do get a stink to them after a bit even with good water. I have bleached mine and now I use Oxy Clean once a week and it has helped sooo much. No more stink issues. I would definetly change your filter and start using Oxy Clean on a regular basis. Good luck.