Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
~sarah~
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Do all babies hate to fall asleep?

My son HATES falling asleep. I hold him close and rock him in the glider. He screams, hits, bites, kicks, pulls my hair, pinches me, then eventually gives up and goes to sleep. This happens for every nap and bedtime. Is this pretty typical behavior? Do they eventually outgrow it?

Advertisement

~sarah~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:05 AM   #2
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do all babies hate to fall asleep?

I've never had this issue??!!?!? How old is he?
Old 06-18-2008, 09:06 AM   #3
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Depends on the kid I think. DD#1 loved when bedtime came -still does. When she's tired she wants to lay down.

DD#2 on the other hand fights it tooth and nail. At 10 months I just figured out how to get her to settle down to bed fairly easily. Nurse about 1 hour before bed. Bath about 1/2 before bed (by bed I mean asleep) and then I nurse and rock her after her bath and she goes right to sleep. Without the early nursing or bath she fights me - screams, kicks, wiggles, you name it. It was just this week I figured her out so it will get better but you have to find what works for your lo.

Oh and naps are quite interesting still for her. I haven't figured out what works for her there yet.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
GraemesMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sometimes DS would resist, but not that badly! Yes, how old is he?
Old 06-18-2008, 10:50 AM   #5
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD did not like to be rocked either. We had to stand up with her up over/against our shoulders and jiggle from foot to foot and heel to toe fairly violently, or take her outside and sway from shadow to sunlight. Some babies do not want the physical contact.... You might also try to start a bed/nap routine earlier, in case your LO is too tired to go to sleep easily. Routines are REALLY helpful.... Our favorite sleep book is Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. It's more pro-total-CIO than I could handle, but has lots of useful info. GL, mama!
Old 06-18-2008, 11:24 AM   #6
cheygirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We nurse to sleep. I know people have called this a 'bad sleep habit' and a 'crutch', but my kid loves to go to bed.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:16 PM   #7
~sarah~
Banned
seller

My Mood:

He's 11.5 months old. We FF (so I can't nurse him to sleep) and sometimes he will fall asleep while drinking his bottle, but usually not. The fighting only lasts for maybe 10 minutes tops. He's kicking my butt though. I have bruises on my arms from the biting, kicking, and pinching. Unfortunately though it's the only way I can get him to sleep, aside from his cradle swing (which he is getting way too big for! ) Once he falls asleep he is fine and will stay asleep, it's just the getting there that's such a fight.
~sarah~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:20 PM   #8
babyGmommy
Registered Users
seller

my 2nd dd didn't like to be cuddled to go to sleep some reason she wanted her bed. never fell asleep while nursing too.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #9
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~sarah~ View Post
My son HATES falling asleep. I hold him close and rock him in the glider. He screams, hits, bites, kicks, pulls my hair, pinches me, then eventually gives up and goes to sleep. This happens for every nap and bedtime. Is this pretty typical behavior? Do they eventually outgrow it?
DD does this (still), minus the biting. It's funny because it's like she has to put up a major fight like she's sure she's not tired, and then all at once she just crashes. I keep rocking her though because it works and I like things that work.

Never did get into much of a habit of nursing her to sleep, mostly because when she was little she was a major spitter and had to finish her last nursing a good hour before bed or we'd both wake up 30 minutes later in a puddle of cold spit up. I think that's why she gave up night nursing at 7 weeks too. When she outgrew the spitting I could nurse her to sleep some, but she just wasn't into it that much.

I think you can start using the word "No" when it comes to biting.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:36 PM   #10
cheygirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hm....for some reason I was assuming he was older. I'm remembering back to that time, and I do remember that DD would sometimes go through aggressive phases when I was putting her down to sleep....she'd try to kick me, for example. I agree with the pp about saying 'no', even though tired babies aren't always the most receptive to 'no'. When DD would do that, I would put a bit of distance from her and myself - I would get up and sit at the edge of the bed and tell her, "we don't kick. that hurts mommy", until I sense the urge to be aggressive would pass (or she'd cry for me to come back & nurse her). She did outgrow it.