Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-18-2008, 06:18 PM   #1
Registered Users
Help moving from crib to big-bed

We recently moved my 2.5 yr old daughter from her crib into a twin mattress on the floor with a guard rail. She had seen her cousin's "big girl bed" recently and really wanted to move. She seems perfectly happy with the bed, but the problem we have now is that she plays a lot before going to sleep. We have always let her take a few books and toys in the crib. She would play maybe 20-30 minutes before she went to sleep. The problem is that now she can get up and get more toys. The first few days, I tried limiting her to 1 book, but unless I go back in there every 5 minutes she gets up and gets something else to play with. I was starting to feel like it was just teaching her that she only needs to do what I say when I can see her. Today I decided to let her play as long as she stayed on the bed. She can reach the bookshelf from her bed, so she still had plenty to keep her busy. I put her down for her nap almost 2 hrs ago, checked on her a few times and she just went to sleep. It's not as big of a problem at night because it's darker in her room, so she seems to settle down faster when we turn out the light. She has always taken naps well even though a lot of light comes in through her window. I would appreciate any advice on how to get her to nap faster. Thanks!

bethanyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:14 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Help moving from crib to big-bed

HI there....I have no advice....but can tell you we are went through the same thing with our 23 month old. He went from being a excellent sleeper in his staying up 2 or 3 hours past his normal bedtime...playing in his room. We are now in week three and he "gets" it. He is finally just staying in his bed and falling asleep. Either the novelty has worn off...or he is now tired enough as he has missed out on some sleep over the last few weeks. did just work itself out.
For the best online Health food store and natural baby products
Use coupon HIZ612 to save up to 10.00 off your first order!!!!!!
Hey Canadians you can earn free gift cards! Click here
greenpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:55 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: Help moving from crib to big-bed

we moved our daughter at 14 months (to make room in the crib for the new baby) and she's only ever got out twice. We made a point of saying "Do you want to go night-night with one toy or two?" and she would pick. And then if she got out of bed we'd say "No, no, it's time for night-night, you don't get out of your bed. You can either play with your toy in your bed or have no toys at all. Do you want to stay in your bed and have one toy or do you want to have no toys?" After a couple times with no toys she got the idea.
Mg17 is offline   Reply With Quote