Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #1
januarymama
Registered Users

BC while BFing - WWYD?

I am having a really hard time deciding what BC to use while I BF. My DS is 5 months old and I want to keep BFing until at least a year, possibly longer if he still wants to.

I don't want to use NFP because we really will not be ready, financially and otherwise, for another baby until DS is at least 2, probably more like 3. I would rather not use the minipill for the same reason.

I am considering getting an IUD (but something about it worries me - I think it's the thought of something I can't elect to be done with on my own, and the potential serious, even though rare, complications).

The other option would be to stick with condoms until DS weans or is a year, and then take the pill. DH doesn't mind, but it's not his preference, or mine (and I worry about a condom breaking, etc.)

Any advice?

Advertisement

januarymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
mama2logan&evan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: BC while BFing - WWYD?

I was on the mini pill while breastfeeding DS2 and I think it made my supply decrease so I'm searching for something to use after #3 is born.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:27 AM   #3
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

from what I am going through right now with the Mirena, I would advise against it. Its uncomfortable and a lil painful if i turn the wrong way. Its jsut not for me and I am going through hell trying to get this thing removed. I've heard that its worked wonders for others, though.

After I get this thing out of me (even I have to RIP it from my body) I will be in the same boat as you. I will be breastfeeding for quite a while still (hes only 9 months and we will be doing extended BF). We dont prefer condoms, but I dont want to risk supply issues either. Ive had other issues with pills, too. Its looking like our only options will be condom and/ or the film. Although, both my babies were concieved when only these methods were in place (but I will admit we were not super strict on their use). This time, we will use them TOGETHER to ensure we don't get a thrid baby wihtout planning for him/her!!!
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:43 AM   #4
jennyb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

have you taken any classes/read books on NFP?
NFP is HIGHLY effective for postponing pregnancy - more so than condoms.

I recommend NFP. It is completely safe, natural ... nothing to affect your milk supply or your hormones or your mood

Plus, if you are wanting to avoid/postpone pregnancy (and it sounds like you are) you really need to be in control of your own fertility and know where you are in your cycle, which NFP allows. Hormonal typs of bc interfer with your body's normal fertility signs so you're left "guessing" about ovulation; barrier methods aren't as effective as NFP.

if you need more NFP info, i'd suggest the couple to couple league

My experience: We were married for 3 years before having ds, and dd came along 2 1/2 years after that. We have not had any "surprises" and we have a fulfilling love life! For some reason, many people who do not understand NFP seem to think it only 'works' if you are abstinent

Get Cash Back from all your fave stores-Click here to join Mr. Rebates!
jennyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:46 AM   #5
Birdof1985
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyb View Post
have you taken any classes/read books on NFP?
NFP is HIGHLY effective for postponing pregnancy - more so than condoms.

I recommend NFP. It is completely safe, natural ... nothing to affect your milk supply or your hormones or your mood

Plus, if you are wanting to avoid/postpone pregnancy (and it sounds like you are) you really need to be in control of your own fertility and know where you are in your cycle, which NFP allows. Hormonal typs of bc interfer with your body's normal fertility signs so you're left "guessing" about ovulation; barrier methods aren't as effective as NFP.

if you need more NFP info, i'd suggest the couple to couple league

My experience: We were married for 3 years before having ds, and dd came along 2 1/2 years after that. We have not had any "surprises" and we have a fulfilling love life! For some reason, many people who do not understand NFP seem to think it only 'works' if you are abstinent
i second this opinion... this is what we use.

I was on the minipill or w/e its called while BF and i didnt like it.
Birdof1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

I second nfp it works look up ccli.org or for a secular site fertility awareness method.No side effects and you can breastfeed as long as you want.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:51 AM   #7
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm going to third (or is it fourth) the suggestion of learning NFP!!!
Old 06-18-2008, 11:58 AM   #8
bkcwjzy
Registered Users
Formerly: bkcwzy
seller

I use the minipill and haven't had any issues with my supply. But I've always had plenty of milk and this is my third. I'm taking the minipill until I get my IUD put in. My mom had one and loved it, my sisters have them and love it as well. The only thing different is we don't use the Merina one, We like the 10 year copper one. If you go the condom route you can also try female condoms. They are a little weird looking but you can put one in up to 8 hrs before being intimate. And it's more natural feeling than regular male condoms. =]
bkcwjzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:59 AM   #9
lizzytra
Registered Users

I did NFP before my last DC was born. And I only got pregnant w/#3 b/c I told my DH, "If we DTD tonight I will get pregnant."

His responese, "It will be worth it."

9 months later... "worth it" is here! : - )

I was skeptical, but I think if you do some research you will impressed w/the success rate. There is a good book on the subject too, I can't for the life of me remember the title. (after some googeling found the title)

Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler

The book seems long, but it is very interesting and a quick read.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:01 PM   #10
januarymama
Registered Users

I used nfp both to avoid and help ttc. I really liked it, but everything I read admits that it is supposed to be less effective and harder to track when you are BFing but have not yet had a PP AF (I haven't yet).
januarymama is offline   Reply With Quote