Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #1
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

Didn't like me because i nurse??

i just left a job where i was working with a boss who was a horribly toxic person, but the location was GREAT, as in i was so close to home i was able to go home on my lunch hour to nurse my baby, and sometimes i even had the time to nurse my toddler as well. and mind you, i'm paying about 10,000 bucks to go to work for free, as part of my masters requirement.

while i was there, i spent a week working with my boss' colleagues in another section of the hospital. when i first started that week, i thought that their treatment of me was a little strange, but was like, hey, whatever, maybe they're just really close knit over here?

well, as it turns out, they took some things that i said about the internship process to ONE person (who i knew from school) and twisted it this way and that, and made me out to be some horrible person. very, very bizarre.

after i left the job, one of them called the person at the university that arranges these internships and said that i had been saying negative things about the internship process (whatever) and, this is the real shocker to me:

"and what is her problem that she thinks she's so special that she gets to go home on her lunch hour to nurse? why can't she just be like all the other moms who pump?"

i was like, WHAT?? they knew that i pumped b/c they saw me with my pump and i took a pumping break in the morning, and one in the afternoon, in the little room designated for pumping moms. if i didn't go home to nurse my baby at lunch, i would have to spend it pumping, so what's the difference? can you even believe that they would call the university and complain about THAT? why would they care?!

and that week was supposed to just be a fun, "get to know the other social workers" week. gah, i'm so glad i'm done with them. i've already arranged for a meeting with another agency where i've heard the supervisor is absolutely fantastic, and she's a mom so hopefully she won't decide to not like me b/c i'm a dedicated nursing mom.

Advertisement

Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
proudmama4
Registered Users
Formerly: jke**y
seller

My Mood:
Re: Didn't like me because i nurse??

That is just plain crazy!
proudmama4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
evaliesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's aweful! Hopefully your new position will be better!
Old 06-18-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
Miles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That is just awful hun I am so sorry.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:50 PM   #5
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

thanks mamas.

it's just so sad to me b/c it's further example of how nursing/pumping moms are judged in the work place, and in this case, i didn't fit into that "ideal" they had created for working mothers, so there was something wrong with me.
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:21 PM   #6
HannahGoodman
Registered Users

My Mood:

So many people just don't understand breastfeeding, and so they're against it by default, it seems. Sorry this happened to you--hope your new job is way better!
HannahGoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:39 PM   #7
randomacts
Registered Users

I get in trouble all the time for my mouth. I say something to one person in jest and BOOM everyone hates me for whatever reason. I hate that you had to go through this, they probably don't hate you for nursing, they just hate that they don't get to go home too!

Thanks!
randomacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:27 PM   #8
syl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

:vomit: yuck
Old 06-19-2008, 09:15 PM   #9
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OMG, I am soooooo sick of people getting their knickers in a twist about what OTHER PEOPLE DO!!! It has no effect on their life, so what's the problem?? Argh. Grow up people. Sorry you had that problem Heather - good luck w/ the new job!
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote