Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-28-2006, 09:03 PM   #1
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

Unhappy Someone please tell me this is normal...

Warning, long rant below...

**HISTORY** DD is 6 months old and has been EBF from birth. We don't vax and therefor don't go to well baby visits so I don't really know how much she weighs but last I checked she was about 16lbs and was 10lbs 4oz at birth.

I've been concerned about my supply ever since DD was born because I only leaked once or twice when my milk came in and have never leaked since then, never feel full/engorged and never feel "let down". DD seems to be growing and she pees a lot. Her poops have been very sporadic. She'll poop once a day, every day for a few days. Then she won't poop for a week. Then back to once a day. She's been a pretty happy baby in the past but all of a sudden she seems cranky ALL the time. She's got 2 teeth on the bottom and it looks like she might be cutting one or two on top. I don't know if that accounts for the crankiness or not. I'm just worried my supply is too low.

Has anyone else had little to no signs of milk production w/o any supply issues? I'm so worried that she's not getting enough milk from me and I have no way of knowing how much milk I'm actually producing. Ugh!

Advertisement

Old 09-28-2006, 09:14 PM   #2
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Someone please tell me this is normal...

I really wish I could help you but I can't, my milk coming in was very obvious with both my girls.

I CAN tell you though that it IS normal for breastfed babies to go several days even a week without pooping. She SHOULD be peeing though.

Breastmilk is made perfectly fitting for baby so they use up most of it leaving very little waste. She should be peeing several times a day though, I can't tell you exaclty how many.

Don't worry mama, stress will only make it worse. I hope some others can help you out too!
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:22 PM   #3
kingdink
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just recently I felt like I wasn't producing anything and it was my supply regulating. DS is about 4.5 months old. Even if you don't vax, you may want to consider the well-baby visits. They do more than vax at them...at least at mine, and they can help you out when you have concerns like this.

JoJee Creations Custom pencil portraits and knitted goods
kingdink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:17 PM   #4
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdink View Post
Even if you don't vax, you may want to consider the well-baby visits. They do more than vax at them...at least at mine, and they can help you out when you have concerns like this.
I agree with that. Here they keep track of weight, height, head size and so many other things. Check the eyes, ears, heart etc. I know they rely too strongly on growth charts, but sometimes it can really indicate an underlying problem.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:29 PM   #5
halyled
Registered Users
seller

It is normal to go up to a week w/out pooping for an EBF baby. As long as she is wetting enough diapers each day (not sure how many at 6 months, you may want to look it up) and growing and gaining weight, she is fine. Everybody's milk production is different. I leaked like a sieve for the first few months, but I don't anymore, unless DS goes an extended period w/out nursing. Some women don't have much of a problem w/ leaking or engorgement and still produce plenty of milk. If you can tell that she is swallowing (her suck pattern changes from rapid sucking to suck-suck-swallow), then she's getting milk.

I agree about the well-baby visits. Ours revolve around DS's development, not just the vaxes. If you think it would be reassuring you might want to make an appointment.

halyled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:33 PM   #6
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

I agree with the well-baby visits. We are doing a delayed vax schedule and some not at all. . . so some visits are just check of growth etc.
As far as your little one- if she has good pee output, no worries. Bf'ed babies can go for a while without pooping.
One of the top reasons women supplement is because they are afraid they're not giving their baby enough. Since our breasts don't come with oz. markings it's hard to tell unlike bottles. ANd even if you pumped, you wouldn't really know, b/c you can generally pump less than what beby can extract.
Anyway, DD is probably totally fine, but I would start doing some well-baby appts.

Check out this link:
http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/index.html
Is my baby getting enough milk, etc. . .
Old 09-29-2006, 05:18 AM   #7
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know plenty of women who have never been engorged, leaked or felt a letdown. I would take her to her well baby visits or get a scale just for peace of mind. I beleive its 6-8 pees a day thats normal. Take it easy dont stress out b/c then that could cause you to have supply issues
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 06:33 AM   #8
Bluemoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well I disagree with the well baby checks.
My first son was a small infant and was EBF for 6mths. at each visit they wanted to poke and prod him to find out why. he wasn't sick ot malnurished just small. but so was his dad (my dh) as a babe. Those charts are made for formula feed babies by the formula companies. what you need to look at is her developement, attitude, is she crying while she is nursing as if she is not satisfied? alot of women do not feel let downs or leak. She is also at the age where she should be nursing alittle or even alot more and increasing your supply. I am by no means an expert but I ahve nursed 5 babies and ever one has been alittle differnt and now I hardly ever feel a let down unless a feeding is really past due. HTH
Barbara
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 09:52 AM   #9
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I'm on the no well baby visit train, too. I would suggest you find some way to get your DD's weight, though. I go to the health department on the days that they have WIC appointments and they just weigh DS and then I leave. It's free, and it's a whole lot closer than driving the 40 miles to our ped. I don't think going to a ped is going to help you with breastfeeding problems. Most peds don't know much about breastfeeding, and at 6 months they would probably tell you you need to start solids, anyway. That's not something that you need to hear right now.

If she is peeing plenty, I'd say that she's fine. I've been worried about my (already low) supply lately, and everybody's reminded me that they usually hit a growth spurt at 6 months, so that together with teething could definitely be why she's cranky.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:00 AM   #10
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Has AF returned yet? That's another thing that can cause a dip in supply. It sounds pretty normal to me. How is she after a feeding? Is she content and happy? asleep? These are also signs that she's getting enough. Just cranky in general is more likely due to teething - does it help when you give her pain relief (Tylenol, Motrin, Hylands)? When I had supply problems, my baby would not be satisfied after nursing. I never really had problems with leaking or engorgement (and I've sucessfully EBF 3 out of four kids), that varies from woman to woman.

As far as her peeing and pooping, that sound totally fine. If she's gaining and growing and happy after feedings, then she's likely just grumpy from teething pain.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote