View Poll Results: What age did you start giving allowance & how much per month?
No allowance for my child(ren) 16 32.00%
Yes I give an allowance of 0-$10month(including clothing) 7 14.00%
Yes I give an allowance of $11-$25month(including clothing) 6 12.00%
Yes I give an allowance of $25-$50month (including clothing) 4 8.00%
yes I give allowance of $50+month (including clothing) 0 0%
other: as all polls need other 16 32.00%
started giving allowance at age 3-5years old 10 20.00%
started giving allowance at age 6-10years old 14 28.00%
started giving allowace at age 11-13years old 3 6.00%
Started giving allowance older then 13years old 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2008, 07:43 PM   #11
Sarah's Supermilk
Registered Users
seller

Re: If I can ask..How much do/will you give your child for allowance?

Well my oldest is 7.5 and no allowance yet. She does earn money for extra jobs like pp. I buy her clothes and shoes when she's in need of them, sometimes new, sometimes from consignment shop. She doesn't mind either way as long as she gets to help pick. So far this works and she uses her money when she wants toys. I think in the next year as she learns more of the value of $ I'll set up an allowance. I'm thinking about $5 week not including clothes.
My 3yo has a wallet and also earns small $ for helping with extra stuff, but that's all so far with him. He sometimes uses it for rides at the store or at yardsales. That's all so far with him.
I want them to learn how to use their money wisely, but I also want them to value what they have and not put too much importance on material things. We live in an upscale area and I don't want her to think if she doesn't have all name brand she's not as good as everyone else. I'm not sure how to find that balance, but I'm trying! I don't have to worry about it too much yet, though.

Advertisement

Last edited by Sarah's Supermilk; 06-18-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Sarah's Supermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:49 PM   #12
forsaken1216
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD does not get an allowance. I just have set jobs she is supposed to keep up with. She gets money for things above and beyond her chores, like cleaning out the car. She also gets money from FIL for grades and helping around his house.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:50 PM   #13
huntingflower
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is 9 and gets $0.50 a week for every year she is born. She has to save up for items that she really wants and also add some to her savings. This is just to teach her that in life you do need to save. Both for future items and for things you want now. IF she wants candy/treats then she has to decide if it is really worth dipping into her money. Unless we are out as a family or I say hey lets walk for an icecream, then we pay.

I buy all her clothing and there is no limit there.. it's what she needs and I determine how much I will spend on one article. She is really good about knowing when something is too much $$ though. Let's hope it stays that way. Some months she doesn't need anything and others she needs a lot. So it all depends on the month and how much she is growing.

Starting soon I will be uping her allowance to $1 for every year per week. Or I may keep it where it is at and then have additional chores to do for extra money outside of what is expected of her now. Being part of the family she has her own chores which is mainly keeping her room clean, changing her sheets, tidying the house sometimes, vaccuming. The allowance is not dependent on her doing her chores.

huntingflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #14
AtoZMomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think you just have to do what feels right for you and your children. My kids are 4 and 6. We buy all their clothes, but they earn "allowance" if they do something above and beyond (i.e., DS found that our dog had pooped behind the TV armoire--gross--I can't get back there b/c I'm pregnant; he offered to clean it up without even being asked, and he earned $1). Sometimes we even forget to give a regular allowance, but if they find a toy they're "working towards," we tend to help them out by finding "extra" chores for them to help with. It's working well so far. I'm sure the teenage years will be a whole different story!
Old 06-18-2008, 08:15 PM   #15
amphibology29
Registered Users
seller

I'm not going to vote in the poll because DS doesn't receive an allowance yet. For now I occasionally make him a star chart and when he has a super good day all day long he gets to color in a star. When he colors them all in (I put 10 on the chart) we go to the store and he can pick out a new book. In order to color in a star he has to go all day with good behavior - no whining about what I make for meals, taking a nap or at least spending quiet time just resting, picking up his toys without a fuss, staying in bed all night long the night before, etc. He just turned 4 last month so in my opinion going all day long without whining or making a fuss is a pretty big accomplishment.

When he is old enough for us to talk about an allowance (probably when he's 6 or 7) it won't be for nothing. He'll have to do extras to get it. Normal, every day chores like picking up his room, putting clothes in the hamper, clearing his dishes, etc won't earn him money. No way am I going to pay my child to do things they ought to be doing anyway! When I was growing up we started getting $10 a week when we were 10 years old but we had to do things above and beyond our normal chores. I figure we'll start an allowance younger than 10 though, because I want to teach him about good money management from an earlier age.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:17 PM   #16
ive
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingflower View Post
I buy all her clothing and there is no limit there..

Starting soon I will be uping her allowance to $1 for every year per week..
so you'd buy designer name brands and buy whole wardrobes(more then one set?) and $1 week? so your thinking $50+ a month for her?
Old 06-18-2008, 08:21 PM   #17
altuttle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

We dont have allowance here. I buy the kids clothes when I find them on sale but they arent really picky yet.

My mother's cure for the picky name brand thing when my brother and I were teenagers was right before school she would give say $100 for clothes and you bought what you want. Then again at summer time she did the same. I learned how to stretch my $100 to get me a whole closet of clothes while my brother who had to have certain name brands would get maybe 2-3 pants and a couple shirts. He had to make it work til she was ready to give more money. No whining, no begging, no nothing it was our decision to make it work and we did fine like that.
altuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:26 PM   #18
nkmeldrim
Registered Users
seller

I just started thinking about this for our 4yr old. Clothes are not included and will not be until around preteen years. That is when clothes become important. I remember my parent's paying half for alot of my clothes that were not necessities.

Anyways, back to my 4yr old. I am thinking of doing the quarter thing. Earning quarters for doing extra things. He totally does not understand how money works and he needs something to facilitate that. Right now he thinks stores give us money as he sees them give us change. Ahh...to have the mind of a 4yr old! LOL!

ISO: pull on trainers size XS or S
nkmeldrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:31 PM   #19
mommy_have_it
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My oldest son is 15. He doesn't get an "allowance". He knows he is responsible for certain chores around the house, he only does a few things, and it's like pulling teeth everytime...I mean how hard is it to BRUSH a dog He spends more time complaining then brushing
I'm sure that someone will say this isn't right and I should be giving he something.
IYO what would you give a 15yr old for cutting the grass, cleaning up after the dogs once a week. Brushing and feeding 2 dogs everyday (brushing only 1-in the summer)?
mommy_have_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:32 PM   #20
ashkash
Registered Users
seller

We're just starting to do allowances for our boys (4 & almost 6). It'll be $1 per year of age, per week. So $4 & $6 per week. This doesn't include clothing at this point - I buy what I want them to have. I'm sure as they get more interested in clothes, we'll increase their allowances so they can buy some of the name-brand clothing. But I really don't have a problem buying it for them, as long as we can afford it.
#5 Due 11/2012 - It's a GIRL!

ashkash is offline   Reply With Quote