Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2008, 07:20 PM   #1
AngelW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Scared of the Big Tub!

We are trying to transition my 15 month old son to the big tub. He is terrified! I have a good full length bath mat in there and inflatable tub bumpers (which came off - the suction cups didn't stick when the water was in the tub). The first time I tried this about two months ago, he was scared and screamed through the whole thing. That time I used a bath seat, but it was too hard to use and eventually I opened it and took it out and then got in the tub with him. He continued to scream. So anyhow, he has gotten into taking a nightly bath with Daddy in the sink - with the baby/toddler bathtub. He has enjoyed it so much and yet he is getting too big for it. Well, tonight went pretty badly - with lots of screaming. Daddy started on the tub seat outside the tub and ended up inside standing up holding the baby taking a shower together. Then he put him down into the baby/toddler bathtub (that I'd brought in) and leaned over to wash his hair. Well, he got bathed somewhat, but it wasn't a very pleasant experience for either of them.

Any suggestions? Anyone have a similar experience? Thanks!

~Angel

Advertisement

Mommy to Nicholas Ryan
Born 02-22-07
AngelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
sistersusannah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Scared of the Big Tub!

Mama, I feel your pain, we have SO been there. I did some research on the 'net and also asked the awesome mamas here and this is what I found. The little ones are afraid of the big bathtub- afraid they will go down the drain with the water, of all the water and the size of the tub. What we do for our son is put him in a smaller tub, in the big tub. Munchkin makes a duck tub that works great and is the perfect size. I found ours at Target for $12. HTH and GL.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:42 PM   #3
benjaminsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

I heard of ppl putting the LO in a laundry basket in the big tub. My nephew was scared to bath at our house because of the shower curtain blocking too much light, even when pushed back. We solved that by tossing the bottom up over the bar. It lets in more light and he was way happier. HTH! Good Luck!
Old 06-18-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
AngelW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the ideas.. It isn't likely a light issue as we have a light right over the shower. We also have shower doors, so couldn't move them easily anyhow.

~Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminsmom View Post
I heard of ppl putting the LO in a laundry basket in the big tub. My nephew was scared to bath at our house because of the shower curtain blocking too much light, even when pushed back. We solved that by tossing the bottom up over the bar. It lets in more light and he was way happier. HTH! Good Luck!

Mommy to Nicholas Ryan
Born 02-22-07
Old 06-18-2008, 07:47 PM   #5
ive
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son is still sort of affraid of bath time, in the big tub. He's first year he took showers with me and then we moved and had a huge tube. I just filled it up an inch and let him play in the tub (supervised of course) w/ clothes and all for as long as he wanted. for 2weeks we did that, once day I simple w/ no fuss took he's clothes off and put some tub only toys in there, he never made a fuss. I made an oops a month ago and had hot hot water in there and he's a bit scared now w/ water again, but he's slowly trusting me again><. If anything else just go in the bath tub w/ him so he sees there is nothing wrong w/ being in the tub. Good luck mama
Old 06-18-2008, 07:53 PM   #6
benjaminsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelW View Post
Thanks for the ideas.. It isn't likely a light issue as we have a light right over the shower. We also have shower doors, so couldn't move them easily anyhow.

~Angel
Ahh, I see. Might be worth a shot to try the laundry basket. Hope you find something that works.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:10 PM   #7
twirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use a smaller inflatable tub inside the big tub. It's bigger than the baby tub, so DD can sit up and stretch her legs out, but it's not overwhelming likt the full tub would be and it's not slippery. I got it at BRU for $10ish.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:19 PM   #8
AngelW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for your post. I wonder if it's about the fear of the drain. I am thinking we have to get the smaller inflatable tub. Thanks for the suggestion.

~Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistersusannah View Post
Mama, I feel your pain, we have SO been there. I did some research on the 'net and also asked the awesome mamas here and this is what I found. The little ones are afraid of the big bathtub- afraid they will go down the drain with the water, of all the water and the size of the tub. What we do for our son is put him in a smaller tub, in the big tub. Munchkin makes a duck tub that works great and is the perfect size. I found ours at Target for $12. HTH and GL.

Mommy to Nicholas Ryan
Born 02-22-07
Old 06-18-2008, 08:21 PM   #9
AngelW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How do you safely shower with a squirmy toddler? DH had some trouble with that and wondered what to do to make that easier.

I am thinking of getting the inflatable tub. I thought that the inflatable tub bumpers (from OneStepAhead) were going to solve that problem and that we wouldn't need the smaller inflatable tub. So far we still have to use the baby bathtub inside the big tub and he was still scared, though he was used to using that. Maybe he was just overtired and we need to try it earlier in the day to get him used to it. We have a few toys - rubber ducks - a regular one and a temperature sensor one dressed in Hawaiian clothing, and a couple other things, plus some tub wall letters - which we have yet to open.

What other tub toys do your kids like?

Thanks again!
~Angel

Mommy to Nicholas Ryan
Born 02-22-07
Old 06-18-2008, 08:55 PM   #10
homschlmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

My dd was terrified too. I had to use bubble bath to get her in and then phased that out once she got used to the tub. I also bought her a bath toy once I took the bubbles away!
Also, I ran the bath water before she even entered the bathroom because the sound of the water scared her. She still asks me to turn it off if I'm still running it when she comes in....now she loves the bath! She is 20 months old.
HTH

I wake up every morning with nothing but everything!

Last edited by homschlmama; 06-18-2008 at 08:57 PM. Reason: to add something
homschlmama is offline   Reply With Quote