Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2008, 07:53 AM   #1
SBUTTON
Registered Users

My Mood:
Not eating solids yet

LO is almost 6 months and is nursing great. He will watch us eat and follow the food go to our mouths but if I try to give him anything he refuses. He turns his head and doesn't want it. I have been trying once and awhile so I'm not forcing him or pushing him into it. I know he will eat when he wants to. When he was 3-4 months old he was eating cereal and fruit and some veggies, so why do you think he changed? When do most babies start eating baby food?
Could I put our dinner in a blender and feed him that rather than buy baby food in a jar?

Advertisement

I am a SAHM, who and my 28 month old . I also have a 10 yr old of a daughter and a 9yr old son .
SBUTTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:13 AM   #2
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Not eating solids yet

DD started on cereal at 4 months, but most babies aren't recommended to start until 6 mos. However, solids aren't needed until much later. So long as your DS is nursing fine, he'll be fine.

You can blend up anything you like, just be mindful of the ingredients - it's recommended to introduce new foods one at a time just in case of allergies, and there's some foods that you should wait to introduce at all. Eggs, dairy, honey are just a few that he should be 9 mos to a year before introducing.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
GraemesMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS was like this for me. He didn't really start welcoming solids until around 8 months, and that was only a few, and only sometimes...it wasn't until he was about a year that he seemed *interested* in solid food.

It worked fine for us! What can I say, he likes mama milk!
Old 06-14-2008, 08:35 PM   #4
jewelzbird
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you can make your own baby food, but only introduce one new food every 4 days to see if there is an allergy. Sweet potato and bananas are usually a hit in the beginning...carrots and peas too. There is a book called Super baby Food that tells you how to make every baby food. Also this website is great!
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/
There is a discussion group on tribe.net that is very active called the homemade baby food tribe. You can get tons of advice there!

Last edited by jewelzbird; 06-14-2008 at 08:36 PM.
jewelzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:00 PM   #5
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

If he is nursing fine - I'd let it go. He'll let you know when he's ready. Some babies don't really want food until a year+. Just keep nursin'...
Old 06-15-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
TempoHasPaws
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter is 22 months old and still refuses ALL foods/liquids other than breastmilk and she is incredibly healthy
Old 06-15-2008, 08:03 PM   #7
max's mommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

My opinion is not to force it....let him decide when he's ready.
With my first born I was so concerned about when he was going to start eating solids. I started trying little things (cereal, smashed banana) when he was 4-6 months and he would THROW UP, or fuss, he was just not interested.
I finally stopped listening to everyone telling me he HAD to eat solids, and followed by heart that told me he was just not ready.
At 12 months of age, he was 27 lbs, and pretty much still exclusively breastfed. We let him eat what he wanted when he was ready, we offered, but never pushed.
At 4 years now.....he LOVES broccoli, greens (mustard, turnip, collard), peas, all vegetables.....okay, you name a veggie and he likes it. He doesn't eat very much (quantity), but he's willing to try anything.
Let you baby lead the way and make eating a fun/social time.
Keep on nursing and enjoy every minute of it !!!!!

Mom to Maxwell (6/04) and Hugo (12/07) . Happily married to the most amazing husband EVER, Mark
max's mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:11 PM   #8
Sunshinesmiles22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We waited until 12m and my lo skipped the baby food stage. She never wanted mashed anything and would gag on it. She preferred to feed herself. Now she likes to use a spoon and fork (by herself, mind you) at 14 1/2m. A HUGE benefit is the breastfed baby poo. We also ec, so I've rarely ever had to change the stinky kind of dipe. My lo is ahead developmentally because (I think) of waiting. Just my two cents.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:27 PM   #9
jess&claire
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my DD ate cereal well but is soo picky i just offer and if she eats good and if she does not oh well, her weight is great (23lbs at 8.5month) oh just flow his lead and like pp said BM dipes are sooooooo much nicer. some kids so things there own way.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:31 PM   #10
LClaire
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinesmiles22 View Post
We waited until 12m and my lo skipped the baby food stage. She never wanted mashed anything and would gag on it. She preferred to feed herself. Now she likes to use a spoon and fork (by herself, mind you) at 14 1/2m. A HUGE benefit is the breastfed baby poo. We also ec, so I've rarely ever had to change the stinky kind of dipe. My lo is ahead developmentally because (I think) of waiting. Just my two cents.

DD was almost a year before she really wanted to eat anything. we'd offer things to her, she just didn't have much interest at all. As long as he's nursing he's getting great nutrition! I wouldn't worry about it too much at all - just follow his lead, you'll know when he's ready
LClaire is offline   Reply With Quote