Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2008, 08:44 PM   #1
tusheez
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Smile spitting up help

my 3mo old daughter is bottle formula fed and is now spitting up alot i nursed before but had breast surgery after and so cant now. ive heard that teething can cause it. do you think bcuz its hot as sauna outside that has something to do with it too??? i dont want to change formula bcuz she was doing great with it (enfamil lipil)
any suggestions on what to do or y shes doing this

Advertisement

Old 06-18-2008, 09:21 PM   #2
tayseth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: spitting up help

my 6wk old has started to spit up abit dureing hot days(evenings are abit better) i was told cuz the heat by my homecare nurce! Its so humid outside and we have ac but rarely use it!
Hope that helps abit mama
Seth june/1/06 MieshaMay/8/08 #4
( if u don't like being judged, then don't judge someone else) l
tayseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:37 PM   #3
Amby
Registered Users

My Mood:

Are you feeding her too much? I know my first baby spit up tons, all day long and he did not have acid reflex or anything like that. With my second, my daughter, did the same thing until 2 mo when I took her to the doctor and he said you have to remember how small your babies tummy is your probably feeding her to much. So I didn't feed her as much but feed her less more often and from then on she hardly spit up at all. I know this was the problem with my boy I feed him every 1hr and 1/2 for 30 minutes (I was nursing) because I thought that is what he wanted. (what can I say first time mom!). Good luck!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
ariandlilysmommy
Banned

My Mood:

You can thicken the feeds with rice cereal and give her gas drops. It helped my little one. She has acid reflux really bad and it was causing our already small baby to use weight. Try the thickened feeds and the gas drops they work wonders.
ariandlilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:49 PM   #5
steely_cass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD has a major spitting up problem. It started when she was 3 months old (to the day) and got much worse at 4 months old. We still haven't figured out exactly what the deal is, but here are a few things that helped.
~Feed sitting up as much as you can.
~Leave baby upright for at least 30 min following feeding (swing, bouncer seat, or just holding)
~Burp on shoulder instead of sitting on lap leaning against hand (puts pressure on tummy)
~Reduce feedings by an ounce
~Try to go 2.5 hours between feedings (about how long stomach takes to empty)
~Try not to ride in car right after eating, which causes slouching
~If having issues at night, try tummy sleeping.

If none of that helps, or your baby seems upset when she spits (not a "happy spitter") I would try changing her formula. Change gradually (over a week or so) and give it at least 10 days before you decide if it helps or not. If you baby seems really upset, I would contact your pedi and see if she can get some Zantac. It reduces the acid in her stomach which will make it feel better and help to make sure her esophagus isn't damaged.

Hope something helps. We have been dealing with this for 4 months now and she still spits up around 30 times a day, but doing all that DOES help.
and Wilder (July '14)
steely_cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:49 PM   #6
MommytoAddie
Registered Users

My Mood:

My four month old used to spit up a lot too. We had to switch formulas five times. We are now using the same as you. I have found that she still spits up a lot during the day if it is hot outside. I will make her a cooler or straight from the fridge bottle for her and that seems to help cool her down and she doesn't spit up as much afterwards. The other thing you might want to try is a different bottle or a faster flow nipple. I recently moved her to the level 2 nipples (bornfree bottles) and she seems to enjoy her feeding much more. Just some thoughts. Hope you get some relief soon, I know the laundry sure adds up when you have a happy spitter.

Megs
MommytoAddie is offline   Reply With Quote