Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-19-2008, 10:09 AM   #1
baldy421
Registered Users

my baby hates formula- HELP!!!!!!!

Hi, so I have a 6 month old son, Brody. I'm going on a really overdue honeymoon with DH starting July 8 through the 16th. Here's my problem: I breastfeed but, it gets better. I am starting to dry up. I have only about 30 ounces in storage. I was going to try and wean him before I left and I started it yesterday and it is not going very well. He just cries whenever I bring the bottle or sippy near him. He HATES the formula. I've tried to increase my supply. I've drank nursing teas, decreased the food I give him, drank gallons of water a day, ate oatmeal, and stopped exercising completely which has done GREAT for my mood. Still nothing, in fact it seems to have decreased even more. His wet diapers have become less and less. On Sunday he had only 3 wet diapers from 7:30am to 8:45pm. What do I do? I am at a loss right now and my stress level is extreme. I called my ped and they just said maybe I am just drying up, but Brody doesn't understand that and he is sooo upset. How do I get him to drink formula? I'm using Enfamil Lipil in a Nuby sippy cup or I'm attempting bottles, which are not working. Any advice I can get to help me would be greatly appreciated. Shay

Advertisement

baldy421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:14 AM   #2
KristenDay
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: my baby hates formula- HELP!!!!!!!

Just because you aren't pumping a lot doesn't mean you are drying up. I have an EBF son that is 7 months and I am lucky if I can pump one ounce. He gets soo much more from actually nursing though. I am about to start school again so what I do is pump every morning and usually get about 2 oz in the morning and 2 more times and get an ounce each time.... USUALLY! Lol. But, I just try and do that about 4-5 times a week so by August I have a whole stash going. I would say, don't try to wean him if you are only going to be gone a few days, just pump pump pump. And start introducing solids so he will eat more of that while you are away and just have a few bottles of breastmilk while you are away each day. Then, introduce water/juice to him. Make sure you water down the juice or you will regret it. Lol. Baby + Tummy aches = hard time on mamas and baby's belly!! Oh, and the older they get, the less and less you have to actually change their diapers. My son has between 4-6 a day now. Sometimes it's less, I just change him more often because if there is pee pee I don't want him sitting in it.
KristenDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:26 AM   #3
krickison
Registered Users
seller

I am sorry you are going through this. My DD wont take formula either, she is 10 months. I have to return to work in a couple of weeks so we are trying each day with some formula. Will your DS take a sippy? DD wouldnt, that was half the battle. She wont take a bottle either. If he does take a sippy/bottle you can mix what you have of BM with the Formula, maybe 2/3BM and 1/3 Formula to get the taste going? I havent got any milk to try it with for my DD but it might work. Also if he wont take a bottle or sippy, try having him play with some kids that are on bottles of formula. Maybe they will share and he will start to take it. That is how we got DD to take her sippy, my nephew was here and they shared his milk. I know Milk isnt good for her yet, but it got her drinking from her sippy. I have been trying soy formula, I thought maybe because its so differant she would take it. Its going ok. Have you tried differant kinds? They all taste differant. My friend told me last night that similac is the sweetest I think. Maybe try it? BM is quite sweet so that might be part of the problem too....also he might not take it from you because you have the good stuff. Whoever is going to have him while you are away should try...they are the ones that will be feeding him so it might help. DD has been going to grandmas for naps and sippy the last couple of days to help the transition go smoother. I dont know what else to suggest since I havent figured it out yet, but hopefully you will find a solution. Good Luck and enjoy your honeymoon
Old 06-19-2008, 01:12 PM   #4
Shawna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know my dd would never take a bottle if it was offered by me... but would so if it was someone else. Have you tried having someone else feed him?
Shawna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:52 AM   #5
SaraG
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My oldest would take nothing but carnation goodstart...it's cheaper and smells SO MUCH BETTER than Similac and Enfamil imho...I'd try different brands and see if that makes a difference...also, I agree that you should try to have someone other than you give the bottle...my girls always associated me with bfing and wouldn't take a bottle from me, but would from other people. Good luck and enjoy your trip!
Old 06-20-2008, 09:57 AM   #6
eco-baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my stress level is extreme" that's the real issue, when I'm stressed my baby nurses alot, I can tell my milk gets less when I'm stressed....My baby gags if I try to give formula, even at 2weeks old, it was the funniest thing! Try having a bath and pumping in there, the warmth might help good luck mama, your babies got good taste that's all!
Old 06-20-2008, 11:46 AM   #7
sonie716
Registered Users

My Mood:

I know when I switched my 8 month old over it took quite awhile. I tried one type of bottle she hated it. Then i remembered that her paci was a mam so i ordered the mam bottles, that worked, she needed a certian type of nipple shape. Also with the formula we just started adding a tiny bit of formula in at a time to the breast milk, and just increased it every couple of days. IT took awhile but worked out great.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:29 PM   #8
benjaminsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonie716 View Post
I know when I switched my 8 month old over it took quite awhile. I tried one type of bottle she hated it. Then i remembered that her paci was a mam so i ordered the mam bottles, that worked, she needed a certian type of nipple shape. Also with the formula we just started adding a tiny bit of formula in at a time to the breast milk, and just increased it every couple of days. IT took awhile but worked out great.
That is what I was going to suggest, trying a different bottle, maybe the adiri or a playtex dropin with natural latch nipple. Also I have a friend whos baby would only take certain formulas in certain manners, like RTF but not powder or concentrate in the same brand. So you could try switching how it is prepared. I agree having someone else give a bottle might work better and making a BM/formula ratio might work better. Good Luck.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:19 PM   #9
BabyNick#2
Registered Users
seller

Try different kinds for sure. Goodstart tastes better, the purple canister. The orange has the DHA/ARA and has a funky smell/taste that dc may not like if not used to it.
That doesnt take care of them not liking a bottle at all though.
BabyNick#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:07 PM   #10
nakia
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would just keep up pumping and feeding as much as possible. That is the best thing for your supply. And fenugreek, stress reduction, and lots of hydration. Could you take LO with you? I took mine to my honeymoon. We had a cross country family trip that was fun.

Why are you weaning?

There are obviously too many reasons to continue bfing to go into here, but it is also much more convenient and sweeter. That's one reasons baby likes it other than obviously comfort. They can teeth, bond, and use it as a pacifier. My ds had issues with that when I had to use formula due to supply issues. It doesn't taste NEARLY as good and he hated it. And he would choke because of the faster flow and the inability to soothe himself on it but hated pacifiers.

Could you get donor milk? I'm sure there would be someone near you willing to help you out and donate a SNS system to you if needed.