Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-19-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
iammommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
please help...

I am started to get really worried. I have been bfing dd with no problem now for over 6 months. This week ugly af decided to make her first visit. Now I think my supply is decreasing The reason I think this is b/c I have had to work a few days this week (I normally don't work) and so I have had to pump. Previous pumpings were yielding 3-4oz, now I am getting less than 2oz!
What can I do or take? My ds weaned himself at 9 months and I really want to make it at least 1 year with her, since I know she will be my last. I am so worried...

Advertisement

IDDSO: my sanity!
iammommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:30 AM   #2
junebug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: please help...

if you've had no problem for 6 mos, you're probably fine
it'll go back to normal when you work less and nurse more. Try to relax, stress will just make things worse. Lie down and nap (or cosleep if you can) with your baby, it works wonders for your supply! And the amount you get when you pump is not a good indication of what your baby gets when nursing - babies are much more effective than pumps
junebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:34 AM   #3
emitpan
Registered Users

My Mood:

I hope mamas with more experience will jump in here too. But when I had my AF return after dd was born, my supply would decrease for a few days and then return to normal after. This happened every month, until I became pregnant with ds (which was a whole other story, lol). My advice is to drink lots of water, eat oatmeal, maybe drink some mother's milk tea, and wait a few days. Hopefully you're just having a cyclical drop in production. (I think lots of mamas experience this!)
emitpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
txmom72
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had the exact same thing happen with DS! Once AF returned, my milk supply dropped from about 8-10 ozs per pumping to 5-6. I ate oatmeal every morning and drank a ton of water and added some extra pumping time and sure enough, it went back to normal afer a few days. After that I noticed that it would dip about that time, so I made sure to have some frozen just in case.
txmom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
iammommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

does oatmeal really work? will any kind do (even instant)? is there anything else? TIA

Old 06-19-2008, 06:39 PM   #6
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

i make the quaker oats and it works, you can eat oatmeal, i buy quaker oats and love it, you can eat oatmeal cookies and barq's rootbeer
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:43 PM   #7
iammommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

really?!?

Old 06-19-2008, 07:01 PM   #8
sweety13
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oatmeal helps me alot
Old 06-19-2008, 07:03 PM   #9
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oatmeal really works. I've started eating oatmeal in the morning, not even thinking about supply, and I've had a little boost in my supply for Haydn's bedtime nursies.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:44 PM   #10
Domino Pads
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by emitpan View Post
But when I had my AF return after dd was born, my supply would decrease for a few days and then return to normal after.
Yes, same here. It seemed to drop only for the first couple of days and then go back to normal.
Don't get worried yet. I am sure it will level out. If you are stressing out it's probably even tougher to get a good let down with the pump.

Domino Pads - We are the TOP RATED Cloth Pad on The Diaperpin
Handdyed or Natural - Petite, Regular & Plus Size - use Coupon DSCode for 5% OFF
Domino Pads -The Perfect Pad for Your Period, Pregnancy & Postpartum
Domino Pads is offline   Reply With Quote