Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-20-2008, 09:30 AM   #1
thecowgirl
Registered Users

Location: Coupons & Freebies Mom, sharing freebies & deals! www.couponsandfreebiesmom.com
My Mood:
anyone out there have a nebulizer? advice needed!

anyone out there have a nebulizer for their LO? i am trying to decide whether to buy a medline or salter for our LO. anyone have experience with either of these? price is similar.... thanks for any experience/words of wisdom/advice you can share.

Advertisement

"Like" Coupons & Freebies Mom on Facebook for more HOT FREEBIES!
thecowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
Shyla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: anyone out there have a nebulizer? advice needed!

We have a nebulizer but niether of those two brands. Ours is what insurance gave us. I have used many over the years doing respite care though and have never really noticed much of a difference. Ours is a invacare stratos compact and it has never had any problems. I do wish that mine had a place to hold the mouth piece.
ISO GMS & Wool:
Shyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:40 AM   #3
addiesmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have one too but it isn't that brand. Ours is hospital grade. Have you checked with your insurance?
Old 06-20-2008, 09:42 AM   #4
AmyCivic80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Are there any online reviews that you can look up about each brand?
Amy, wife to Greg and proud mommy to Cailin Avery (5/6/07), Kylie Elise (12/20/08), and baby #3 (due 10/11/11).
AmyCivic80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:55 AM   #5
thecowgirl
Registered Users

Location: Coupons & Freebies Mom, sharing freebies & deals! www.couponsandfreebiesmom.com
My Mood:

couldn't find any reviews.

insurance doesn't care. we pay 100% of the cost anyway.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:56 AM   #6
thecowgirl
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyla View Post
We have a nebulizer but niether of those two brands. Ours is what insurance gave us. I have used many over the years doing respite care though and have never really noticed much of a difference. Ours is a invacare stratos compact and it has never had any problems. I do wish that mine had a place to hold the mouth piece.
what do you mean you with yours had a place to hold the mouth piece? i am clueless about nebulizers.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:14 PM   #7
thecowgirl
Registered Users

My Mood:

bump

Old 06-20-2008, 12:19 PM   #8
Shyla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecowgirl View Post
what do you mean you with yours had a place to hold the mouth piece? i am clueless about nebulizers.
Mine is what the insurance covered so well we had no opinion in what we got but the piece you use to put in their mouth (or if they are being a pill wave in front of the face. You also put the medacine in this part) just hangs there when not in use. Some like the ones you linked have a little spot that that part sits in (so it has a place)

Have you talked to your pedi about getting a nebulizer? Our pedi gave us ours (it was brand new) and billed our insurance.
ISO GMS & Wool:
Shyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #9
thecowgirl
Registered Users

My Mood:

yes, the dr wrote a prescription for one. our prescription insurance requires us to pay 100% of the cost of the nebulizer. they will pay nothing, on any brand. so it is in our best interest to get the cheapest one we can find in our local area, as long as it is still good quality. thx for the explanation

Old 06-20-2008, 01:31 PM   #10
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecowgirl View Post
yes, the dr wrote a prescription for one. our prescription insurance requires us to pay 100% of the cost of the nebulizer. they will pay nothing, on any brand. so it is in our best interest to get the cheapest one we can find in our local area, as long as it is still good quality. thx for the explanation
The one our insurance covered was on here:
http://www.pediatricsupplier.com/viewall.html (the panda bear compressor nebulizer with red carrying case. They also had a duck but we chose the panda. They also put a generic child size mask in, as well as the airlife infant pacifier)

The dr did write a prescription and he also said he was going to write a diagnosis on the paperwork as to why the neb was needed so that the insurance would cover it. He told me all that before I ever went to the med supply place here in town.

That's odd that your insurance would require you to pay 100%. I'd think at minmum they'd ask you to pay a rental fee or something until the claim is filed and see what they'd cover?? When we got the nebulizer they said it was 'technically' a rental for 6 m onths or so and that if we didn't need it at the end of the 6 months we take it back and see if the insurance had paid in full at that point. But if we still needed to keep using it then usually beyond that point it was well paid for and we just keep it indefinitely.

It was the same with the portable aspirator thing we got. They treated it as a rental but filed claim with insurance company and different doctor that Rx'd the aspirator machine but they still covered it.

All I'd be able to suggest is get the cheapest one you could find good quality. You may have several medical places that have them in your area. Alot of pharmacies that have gift shops will have stuff like this too.

we had one offered up on our local freecycle but I didn't need it at the time and it was in great working condition.

that's such a pain...do you think your dr could work something for you if you told him insurance wouldn't cover but you couldn't necessarily swing it on your own? I've never mentioned our financial situation to our dr's but they took good care of things. I hope you get something!