Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-20-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
babydoll101
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Milk allergies?

My 7 month old may have an allergy to milk. We had a doctor's appt. today because my baby has another chest infection. This will be her 3rd since birth. She is weezing and has a terrible cough. The doctor perscribed an antibiotic. I asked why so many and she said it may be because of a milk allergy. She said if it happens again or if the medicine doesn't help then we will look at it being that reason and go from there. She had colic up to 3 months and other indications that just might be what it is. I was just wondering if any one has any experience and what were the symptoms your lo had.

Advertisement

babydoll101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:54 PM   #2
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Milk allergies?

my ds has a milk allergy. here were his symptoms (which took his idiot mother MONTHS to figure out )...colic, cranky, abdominal bloating, fitful sleeping, rash on anus that looks like a burn (thought it was detergent probs!!), excessive spit-up, excess mucous (which in my ds caused double ear infections), face eczema/rash. I switched him to an organic soy formula (Baby's Only) and he seems to be doing tons better!! I bf for 9 months, and since I eat little to no products w/milk. i just didn't notice the symptoms the way i should. anyway...hope that helps.
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:27 AM   #3
babydoll101
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, that is way more signs then my dd has. Is it possible to only have a couple of those things? Or maybe it isn't that at all?
Old 06-22-2008, 02:20 PM   #4
jmred
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD doesn't have a milk allergy, but she has a sensitivity to milk, and anything with milk in it. She was colicky until about 4 months old, stomach cramps, tons of spitting up( she also had acid reflux too). Her pedi put her on Neocate formula, and it made a world of difference! She was a totally different baby. Then when she turned one, we put her on goats milk, and that is the only kind of milk she can have with out throwing up. I would see about the Neocate formula, WIC covered it as long as I had a dr's note. Good luck,mama! Hope she is feeling better soon!
Old 06-22-2008, 05:49 PM   #5
val01
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is allergic to milk (as is DH). She has been on Elecare since about 9 months (now 16 mths - but special needs). She was not gaining weight, fussy, lethargic, and tell-tale was her bloodwork came back as Vitamin D and Calcium deficient when she was drinking over 30 ozs per day!

Valerie
val01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:46 AM   #6
babydoll101
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There's a formula here called Alimentum that doctors perscribe. Two of my children have been on it. She has had no changes since starting the medicine. I think I will make a doctor appt. for next week and talk about changing her formula.
Thanks so much for everyone's replies.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:53 AM   #7
mom2ljh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son's isn't a confirmed allergy, but he definitely can't tolerate milk proteins, or soy, or a bunch of other stuff really.
He had a face rash, nasal congestion and, the kicker, he was projectile vomiting multiple times per feeding. He was receiving breastmilk fortified with formula for the calories. So, at 1 month we started using Nutramigen instead and it cleared on up. He has reflux, which is under control with medication, and he doesn't vomit anymore, unless he's sick or eats something he can't have.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:23 AM   #8
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dd is milk and soy allerigic and Allimentiun is still milk based its made with casin!! SHe cant handle it at all, and has to be on Neocate. Wic doesnt allways cover it. here they flat out told me there was NO way they would cover it. Thankfully my insurance covers it, or my dd would probably be dead right now...( the dr has her on just the formula no foods, she is 18 months)
Old 06-24-2008, 11:37 AM   #9
val01
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ITA with the pp. My DD couldn't tolerate Alimentum either due to the caesin. She's on Elecare (similar to Neocate).

Valerie
val01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:51 AM   #10
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by val01 View Post
My DD is allergic to milk (as is DH). She has been on Elecare since about 9 months (now 16 mths - but special needs). She was not gaining weight, fussy, lethargic, and tell-tale was her bloodwork came back as Vitamin D and Calcium deficient when she was drinking over 30 ozs per day!

Valerie
Sounds very simialar to my dd...she is FTT but no other official dx as to why she cant tolerate food...hmmmm