Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-25-2008, 01:59 PM   #11
KaylasMomJenn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Milk allergies?

We have to use Nutramigen for my son's milk allergies. He also has been dx'd with Slow Stomach Emptying and Reflux, but he has many of the issues as mentioned above. Fitful sleeping, gas, fussiness, and a rash on his face.

Advertisement

KaylasMomJenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:00 PM   #12
brandywk
Registered Users
seller

My son wasn't gainig weight and his poops were green and bubbly...the doc did a stool test and it came back for "reducing substances" what ever that means. She first put me on Progestimil - (which is just like Nutramagen) but with still no weight gain in over 2 wks he was hospitalized (he's 5wks old) they found that he had an esophogus motility disorder along w/ acid reflux. Also at that time the perscibed Neocate - as it is more tolertated than the ones you can buy in the store.
Hope you lo gets better. I'd say atleast try Nutramagen and see if you see a difference...Oh and FYI kids that have a try milk protien allergy %60 of them are also allergic to the soy protien. So you may have the same problem w/ soy.
brandywk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:08 PM   #13
JaAuPaMomi
Registered

My Mood:

My dd Aubreann was on breast milk until I found out she had an allergy to protein.. no matter how much I changed my diet nothing was working. She was 4lbs 15 oz when we brought her home. The breast milk made it to where she had constant diahrea sometimes would spray us as soon as we start getting her cleaned up and it was burning her rear so bad her skin was comming off. She was colic, cranky, had abdominal bloating, walked her till the carpet was gone in trails, had excessive spit-up and acid reflux along with projectil throw up. Took her to the dr and she was then put on soys, and quite a few others.. finally alimentum at 28 dollars a can we were lucky to finally find something that worked and did not have to pay more and waste a can or a case by not being able to use it as we did not qualify for wic and we could not afford to not get paid that extra couple hundred bucks. So Dr had us put mylanta on her butt with a cottonball and blow dry it then add butt cream over that.. sometimes I'd get done doing it and she would poop again.. I was so exhausted. Our baby cost us almost 600 a month to eat and it was not covered by our insurance.
Today our dd Aubreann drinks reg milk but mostly rice milk. Shes doing great and almost 6 yrs old !
JaAuPaMomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:05 PM   #14
katengrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmred View Post
My DD doesn't have a milk allergy, but she has a sensitivity to milk, and anything with milk in it. She was colicky until about 4 months old, stomach cramps, tons of spitting up( she also had acid reflux too). Her pedi put her on Neocate formula, and it made a world of difference! She was a totally different baby. Then when she turned one, we put her on goats milk, and that is the only kind of milk she can have with out throwing up. I would see about the Neocate formula, WIC covered it as long as I had a dr's note. Good luck,mama! Hope she is feeling better soon!
We had the same problem with both of my girls but instead of the Neocate I had to cut ALL dairy out of my diet since I my girls were EBF. Not fun, but worth it to see them happier babies!
Old 06-27-2008, 05:38 AM   #15
babydoll101
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think my dd may have the sensitivity as well. I know the signs of the allergy as all of you were saying because my ds had most of them. Failure to gain weight, eczema on his face, never ending diahrea, it was awful. We put him on soy and he still had all of these problems until he ate our food full time. I feel bad for him that I let it go one as long as I did. My daughter isn't that bad just colic and getting chest infections too many times. She still has her last one. It just won't go away. I have an appt. to find out what we should do next
babydoll101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:45 AM   #16
threecrazykids
Registered Users
seller

My second DS has a milk allergy. I found out about a month after he was born. I was breastfeeding and food that had milk products were causing the colic, fuzziness, diaper rash etc. I had to go off all milk products including those the casein and whey. At 6 month my milk supply decrease and we had to supplement him with formula, the doctor suggested alimentum and nutramigen both did not work because they had casein in them.

We went with soy formula. But there are many babies that are allergic to milk can also me allergic to soy. We got lucky.

Now that my DS is 2 he can tolerate some milk products like certain cheeses in small doses. There is always a hope he will out grow it.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:45 PM   #17
jade1930
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS had excessive nasal congestion, black stools, gassy, etc..We tried Alimentum and he still had the same symptoms after a couple of weeks. He is on soy. He will break out in a rash on his face and start to get congested if he has anything with milk. Hope that helps.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:37 PM   #18
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katengrace View Post
We had the same problem with both of my girls but instead of the Neocate I had to cut ALL dairy out of my diet since I my girls were EBF. Not fun, but worth it to see them happier babies!
Unfortunatly that doesnt allways work. I EBF dd until she was almost one when we found out that she was so allerigc to milk and soy and pretty much everything she ate came back up a few min later and then was followed by the butt burning diahreah. In order for me to continue to nurse her i practacally would have had to be on the neocate formula. Which i would have had to starve myself inorder to feed her. ALthough i dislike her having formula i know that its saving her life!
Old 06-30-2008, 02:50 PM   #19
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayeana View Post
Unfortunatly that doesnt allways work. I EBF dd until she was almost one when we found out that she was so allerigc to milk and soy and pretty much everything she ate came back up a few min later and then was followed by the butt burning diahreah. In order for me to continue to nurse her i practacally would have had to be on the neocate formula. Which i would have had to starve myself inorder to feed her. ALthough i dislike her having formula i know that its saving her life!
It's actually not that bad, once you get used to it. My dd couldn't have dairy, soy, or corn for a while. It basically means cutting out processed foods, which is actually really healthy, and using basics like veggies, fruits, meats, and plain carbs like rice.
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:22 PM   #20
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

im not gonna argue the point...im doing whats best for my dd and our family...I had an eating disorder in high school and there was no way in hadies that me going on such a restricted diet would have been in the best interest of anyone in my house!