Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-20-2008, 01:54 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Tracking your calorie intake

So I'm new here to this forum. I am 165 and need to get back in shape and lose about 30 lbs to be at my ideal weight. I am just wondering how the rest of you track your calorie intake?

I found a site called the daily plate that does it for you, but it doesn't really tell you what you should be eating, you just put in what you ate and it tells you how many calories that is and how many you have left for the day. Should i go for a structured diet, or just track my intake? anything else I should be tracking (besides excercise of course)?

~Kristy, SAHM to my 4 beautiful kiddos.
I have an APO, just FYI. Off an on, and I live in Japan, so I many not reply to your PM for 24 hours.
kaspears17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Tracking your calorie intake

I strongly suggest that you take a look at they have great recipes and suggestions for having a healthy and varied diet. I personally think that as long as you are eating a good variety and keeping within a calorie limit that you should be fine. Consider also having smaller meals and programming in healthy low-cal snacks for yourself. You'll feel less like you are starving yourself.

I haven't done Weight Watchers, but I do own a couple of their cookbooks and have been impressed by how much variety is available there. The recipes are tasty and healthy. You don't necessarily need to do their program to take advantage of their good ideas! My MIL, however, has had wonderful luck doing WW. If you feel like you need guidance, it might be worth signing up for them.

I track calories and nutrition (e.g. fiber, folic acid, etc. because of my pregnancy) using my Living Cookbook program. It's kind of like Daily Plate except that I actually bought the software and I keep my recipes in it. What I like is that you get a pretty complex nutritional breakdown of everything, in a form that looks a lot like the labels on most foods (but with even more categories). So if you need to boost fiber, for example, or vitamin C, you can see how your recipes pan out on those things. You can get a free trial of the software from their website (just do a Google search).

If you want to maximize the amount of food you can eat for the calories, the Volumetrics diet is pretty cool--they developed it at the food science labs at Penn State and they focus on keeping you satisfied while having you eat fewer calories. And the recipes are the sort that you can adapt easily to make your own.

I've also been tracking my steps with a good quality pedometer. I really like it. I average my steps each week and try to improve. My only problem with it is that it doesn't pick every type of exercise up. So stationary bike is totally missed, and it under-counts when I go to salsa dance class (because most of the steps are small and fairly gentle, even when you're moving really fast).

Good luck, mama!
Heather, new mom (10/14/08) to a son (our first)! Happily married to my best friend, who waited to become a daddy while I finished grad school.
mcbruhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:01 AM   #3
Registered Users

Unfortunately I have always done it the hard way. But since my computer is always on and I am usually home with napping babies I go to the usda's website alot to get nutritional inormation on items. I can not post link yet because I am a newbie but if you type "usda nutrient database number" into a search engine it will pull up there website.
katybrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:21 PM   #4
love being a momma
Registered Users
My Mood:

I am looking for something too...thanks for the sites!
Krishna (RN) married to Wesley (01/03)
Momma to Hannah Mae (03/07), Adeline (09/09) & Andrew (02/12)
love being a momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:24 AM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

I always track when i am trying to loose weight. If I don't I just end up eating too many calories. It keeps me honest. Right now I am goaling for 20 pounds by Feb as we are going on a beach vacation and i want to look good in a bikini... (don't I always)

I have used a few programs in the past but right now I am on fitday. It tracks what you eat and also your exercise which I like and it is free too.

I am going to have to check out the software pp mentioned. I make most of our food from scratch so it is hard to determine calories.
Living happily everafter with DH (2/6/04) and DS (4/12/07) New addition expected August 09

Last edited by pernillep; 07-06-2008 at 07:26 AM.
pernillep is offline   Reply With Quote