Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-21-2008, 01:13 AM   #1
ShyDaisi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Homeschooling?

I have always wanted to homeschool my children, but having my first and only in my current single mommyhood position, I had written it off. Now, of course I have pleeeeeeeennnnnntttty of time to figure it all out, but I was just wondering if any WOH moms/dads homeschool their child(ren)?

I could feasibly teach him during the 1/3 of our day that we are not sleeping and I am not working...and have him work on some of his "homework" while with a sitter. In theory, it seems like it *might* work.

Please share your thoughts or experience!

Advertisement

ShyDaisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:02 AM   #2
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homeschooling?

I don't homeschool....want to.....

I'm not sure if it written any where that homeschoolin has to be between certain hours.

I don't know, though, if you'd want to use your time with your children to school.....if your time is limited already....does that make sense?

Hopefully others will have opinions.
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
seahawk
Registered Users

I'm not sure how they do it, but there are a lot of people who homeschool and WOH. I know there are some books out there on homeschooling that talk about it. So, I know I'm not being a lot of help. I just wanted you to know it is possible.
Good luck!
seahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
LilyGrace
Registered Users

I did this. I worked nights and weekends, homeschooled during the day. I had it a bit easier, though, since his dad lived near and got out of work in enough time for us to switch off before I went to my job.

It was hectic, but worth it. There's no rule that says that hs'ing has to be done during certain hours, either. The thing is that most sitters don't want to take in a school aged child during the day. If I were in your position I'd start going to a local hs groups and build relationships. You might find a mom who's willing to trade off with you - sitting in exchange for lessons, exchange sitting hours, or for payment.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

IF you homeschool year round, 7 days a week, it cuts down the required daily hours down. In our state 600 hours have to be on the 5 subjects and the other 400 can be extra curricular activities. That cuts it down to less than 2 hours a day for the "schooling" part.

My son is pretty independant with his education, he is pretty much self studying and if he has any questions he comes to me about it. I just buy the materials and tell him how much he needs to do a day.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:01 PM   #6
ShyDaisi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you all for your responses! I have been around several homeschooling families, but all had SAHMs. I personally filled in for my former office manager, HSing her children for her while she trained my replacement. So, I have a little bit of an idea of the flexibility allowed yet some structure needed. It is a great idea to try to network with some of the other HSing moms. Come to think of it, there are a couple of co-ops in the area from what I understand...

As far as the hours go, I am pretty sure that it doesn't matter here when you do it. You just have to document the time. However, if I were still in my current position and hours when the time comes it wouldn't matter - as I work 4pm to midnight so that some of my working hours are during his sleeping hours.

I do appreciate all of the feedback. There were some great ideas and suggestions of things to think about that I haven't thought of before. Hopefully there are more WOHMs lurking out there that do HS -- it would be nice to see how it works for them.

Last edited by ShyDaisi; 06-21-2008 at 10:02 PM.
ShyDaisi is offline   Reply With Quote