Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-17-2008, 12:53 PM   #1
JDT
Banned

My Mood:
CDing - Beginner's Questions

I just bought my first CD's and I'm very excited to try them out. THey arrived in the mail just yesterday. I tossed them in the laundry and went to work.

The nanny saw them when she did the children's laundry. Honestly I think she panicked a little. She called me at work to ask about them.

These CD's are AIO's so I figure it would be pretty easy. Here's my concern:

#1 - leakage (I don't want to make extra work for her)
#2 - laundry (I know this will mean more laundry, but how much)
#3 - Hassle factor (I don't want this to be a big pain in the neck for her)

I LOVE the idea of being green, but i'm nervous about this one. I originally thought that i'd diaper the baby and see how it went. In truth, I rarely diaper the baby. 90% of the diapering is done by dh and our girl.

I'd love the hear the expereinces of those who CD and those who tried and quit.

Advertisement

JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:05 PM   #2
midominga
Registered Users
seller

Re: CDing - Beginner's Questions

Why not have her throw them in a pail and you clean them. If I were her I'd ask for a raise if I also had to clean them. I wanted to CD so I clean them that's the way my family see it (even hubby) he will change a diaper but throw it in the pail for me to clean.
midominga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:18 PM   #3
zacks_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We love CDing! We made the switch and have never looked back....

#1 - leakage (I don't want to make extra work for her)
Ours leak only when we leave ds in a diaper for >2 hours, past thatwe don't have many problems
#2 - laundry (I know this will mean more laundry, but how much)
I do one load of diapers every other day. This is dependent on how many diapers you have. We have about 20.
#3 - Hassle factor (I don't want this to be a big pain in the neck for her)
These are no more of a hassle than sposies. Put on, take off, and wash...There are just the extra steps of dumping the poo in the toilet. We use flushable wipes, so that step is easier.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:37 PM   #4
Bot Girl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I CD'ed as a singe, WOHM. It's easy, ANYONE can do it.

Dumping poo in the toliet is not an extra step. You're supposed to be doing that w/ sposies as well. Read the directions on the package. Raw human waste (sewage) in landfills = YUCK!!
Bot Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:57 PM   #5
lisadoni
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have a nanny part-time and I had the same concerns as you when we started CDing. However, she loves it! She already does the babies' laundry, but I didn't ask her to wash the diapers, but she does a load 2 of the 3 days she is with us. There are some times when both girls are napping and she doesn't have much to do to so I have asked that she stuff our pocket diapers if they are around.

We've had the same, if not fewer leaks with the cloth vs sposies.

I cut up a couple of old fleece blankets for liners and also got some of the flushable liners just in case there was a poo she really didn't want to get near (I know there have been a few I didn't want to be near!)

It does not add much more work, certainly not enough to warrant a raise. However, my mother-in-law watches our girls at her home two days a week and I gave her pre-stuffed diapers all set to go with flushable liners and told her I'd wash them. She used them that day and then went out and bought a case of sposies telling DH that "she didn't want me to have to do all that laundry." I just dropped the issue with her since she is willing to buy them and otherwise is a fabulous grandma.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:53 PM   #6
JDT
Banned

My Mood:

I'll give it a try over the weekend.

I'm a little horrified that they only last for 2 hours. We use Pampers. THey hold like a gallon of pee and the baby usually feels dry. He HATES feeling any kind of wet.

I am a bit skiddish about the poo issue. I am very happy to have that in landfills as long as I don't have to touch it.

I guess i'll just have to see. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:49 PM   #7
Mommimi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My previous nanny actually intro. CD to me so it was no hassle for her. But my current daycare provider, who originally raised some questions/concerns, now likes it so much she is going to start CD her 3 yr old!

#1 - leakage. If you brought the good type leakage will not be a problem - it definitely holds more than pull-ups. We use pockets that I prestuff and I tell leave extra stuffing in case she wants to take him somewhere for a long period of time.
#2 - laundry. About 1 extra load every other day or so....if you let it sit too long it will start to smell.
#3 - Hassle factor. Everyone I talk to, including me in the beginning, thinks that it is such a big hassle, but once you actually start doing it - it is a breeze and doesn't take that much more time. The pee is fine, its the poop. Suggestions - use disposable liners for the poop. Or in the case of my husband I just tell him to dump as much as he can down the toilet and then put it in a bag. I rise it out for him. We have a mini-shower and there's also those ring-it thing you can buy so that you don't actually have to touch the poo.

Give a good try and see what you think. All the people I've intro CD haven't quit, but I can see how it might not be for everyone.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #8
Bot Girl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
I'll give it a try over the weekend.

I'm a little horrified that they only last for 2 hours. We use Pampers. THey hold like a gallon of pee and the baby usually feels dry. He HATES feeling any kind of wet.

I am a bit skiddish about the poo issue. I am very happy to have that in landfills as long as I don't have to touch it.

I guess i'll just have to see. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Um, I'm not trying to be mean, but... how long do you let your baby sit around it a peepee diaper? If you had a peepee pad on, would you change it in an hour or two? I think babies should be changed when they are wet. Not when the diapers is full.
Bot Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:48 PM   #9
JDT
Banned

My Mood:

To behonest I have no idea how often he's changed. When he feels wet I change him. Mostly his daddy and the nanny change him. 2 hours just seems like a very short time to me.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:15 PM   #10
JDT
Banned

My Mood:

Ok, so I put the baby is his 1st little BG 3.0. It seems big and bulky to me, but he doesn't seem to mind. Considering it's his bed time I hope he's not up for a change in 2 short hours!