Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-29-2006, 07:31 AM   #11
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

Re: How far along should I be before I make an appt?

i called my m/w at about that point to find out when they would want to see me. even if they don't want to see you until 10 weeks or so, i like to make appts early so i can get a time/date i actually want.

with my first they wanted to see me earlier (around 6 or 7 weeks). and they did an early u/s. this time the practice doesn't routinely see people (unless there's a problem) until 8-10 weeks. and no early u/s unless they think you don't feel like your dates are accurate (not big enough, too big, etc.) so i went at 9 weeks this time. they did actually hear the hb then too.

Advertisement

Old 09-29-2006, 08:17 AM   #12
riandkymommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks everyone for the opinions! I believe our midwives are only in town one morning a week so calling to get an appt early is probably my best bet!!

Maybe I am being over anxious but I guess you can never be too careful right?
riandkymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 08:38 AM   #13
CheapMom2B
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you are forgetful with your prentals you could keep the bottle by your bedside, along with a bottle of water. That way you see it before you go to bed every night.

I've recently switched from Materna to Nu Life because its a much better quality prenatal, I'm mentioning it because if you have a better quality maybe it won't matter so much if you forget the odd day. Not sure however.
CheapMom2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 08:46 AM   #14
riandkymommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks!! that's a good idea...right now they are hidden in the cupboard!!
riandkymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 07:41 PM   #15
SJwith2girls
Registered Users
seller

I would call right away. Just so you can get you name on the list. They will decide when they need to see you. I found out I was pg on Sept 14th, I phoned first thing the next morning (Friday) and the office was closed (they now have extended hours M-Th) Contemplated leaving a message or just calling Monday....... Glad I left the message. They called me back Monday at 9am and I'm the last birth they are taking for the month of May. (and I figure I'm roughly 5 weeks and due mid May) I have used the practice for my previous 2 and knew to call early. Don't know what I would have done if they wouldn't have taken me. I'm hoping for another homebirth. Oh and my first appointment isn't until Oct 11.

Sarah Jane - DD 03/01 ~ DD 08/04 ~ DD 05/07
SJwith2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:35 PM   #16
xamybethx
B/S/T with Caution!!

With DD I was seen at 6wks to confirm. With my last pregnancy I was seen at 6 wks (they wouldn't see you any earlier). With this one I told them I had mc'd before and they saw me at 4wks but normally they don't see patients till 6wks. You should be able to be seen.
xamybethx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:35 PM   #17
bikruca
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJwith2girls View Post
I would call right away. Just so you can get you name on the list. They will decide when they need to see you. I found out I was pg on Sept 14th, I phoned first thing the next morning (Friday) and the office was closed (they now have extended hours M-Th) Contemplated leaving a message or just calling Monday....... Glad I left the message. They called me back Monday at 9am and I'm the last birth they are taking for the month of May. (and I figure I'm roughly 5 weeks and due mid May) I have used the practice for my previous 2 and knew to call early. Don't know what I would have done if they wouldn't have taken me. I'm hoping for another homebirth. Oh and my first appointment isn't until Oct 11.
I noticed both you and the OP are from Ontario, from my experiance, midwives in many areas in Ontario are hard to come by, call ASAP or you might get the dreaded waiting list..

I called as soon as I got the pos. test..

they got me in, but I know lots of mamas didn't!
Old 10-01-2006, 06:03 AM   #18
Sweetforestcat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdlane View Post
they got me in at 9 weeks, but the nurse told me they usually don't see people until they are between 10-12 weeks. I think that is a little much.
same here
Old 10-01-2006, 06:11 AM   #19
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The MW will take you at 11/12 weeks. You can call now and make the appt. though.

If the one here on base can't take you, and you want to stick with a MW, try Ottawa Valley Midwives in Carleton Place. They're awesome!
Old 10-01-2006, 07:51 AM   #20
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

I always called as soon as I had a positive test (with one of the pregnancies, it was even before day of expected af)..so I was usually seen at about 3.5-4.5 weeks. I'd miscarried a couple of times though, so I was really, really paranoid.