Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-28-2006, 01:10 PM   #1
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:
Help me not be a bad mommy!!!

*sighs* I've had a really rough couple of days. DS has just been super-fussy. And normally, nursing solves all. But lately he's been getting himself so worked up that he won't even nurse. And then I'm left wondering if it's a supply issue...

He already gets 2 oz of formula every feeding. This is the same amount he's been getting for probably 3 months (he'll be 6 months old on the 5th). I was hoping that my supply was compensating for the rest, but lately I feel like I should be upping his supplement. And then part of me thinks that he if won't nurse, I should just be giving him a bottle and be done with it.

He also started having 2 tbls of bananas at night Monday night. He had a bowl of rice cereal before that. Now when I make his nighttime bottles, I have the overwhelming urge to dump some cereal in it. What kind of mother am I??

I think I just need support...someone who understands, and I just don't have that ANYWHERE. The only person I know IRL that breastfeeds doesn't have supply issues, so she can't really understand what this is like for me. I hate it!!! You'd think after supplementing for almost 6 months, I'd be over it. But I'm not.

*ETA*
I don't need advice on upping my supply. I've done everything in the book and it just doesn't work for me. I'm just looking for support on my current situation.

Advertisement

KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:26 PM   #2
shell015
Banned
seller

Re: Help me not be a bad mommy!!!

Well don't feel bad mama. My breastmilk never came in. I have had guilt issues from the start because nothing I did worked to make it come in. We are at 4 months this week and we are starting to supplement the formula. At least your little man is getting some breast milk. My DS never got any. Look on the bright side. Some is better than none.
shell015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:40 PM   #3
tash
Registered Users

he could also be preffering the fast flow of the bottle over the hard work of nurseing. have you tried an sns or a lact-aid? that would get him back to the breast and make more stimulation for you.

when my baby was younger she would sometimes get fussy if she didnt think my supply was good enough at that moment. but then I would put on the lact-aid and she would settle down and eat (and get some milk too )
Old 09-28-2006, 03:52 PM   #4
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know just how you feel. I went through this with my second baby. Sadly, it was mostly my misinformed fault, but still. I had to start supplementing due to supply at around 2mo and by 6mo he was on more formula than breastmilk. I tried to turn the tables.. NOT easy with an older baby. I used to try to do all kinds of things to avoid giving him more formula - even diluted apple juice with rice cereal in a bottle! It was crazy. Are you using a Lact-Aid or SNS? I know how hard it is to have to give your baby formula when you want to be nursing full-time. I still haven't really 'gotten over it', just accepted it and (in my case) learned from it.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:18 PM   #5
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

I really want a Lact-Aid but can't afford it. I have what they call a temporary SNS, and it takes DS an hour to get 2 oz out of it. So needless ro say, I can't use that.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:37 PM   #6
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That same thing happened to me. I started having supply issues because DS was in the NICU and since pumping didn't work for me when I went home at night he got formula. (I stayed there 13 hours a day, every day) Since I had trouble pumping they also had to give him formula with his medicine. This eventually dwindled my supply and when I finally took him home I had to supplement cuz he was starving. I thought I would be able to just keep him on the 2oz a feeding because I thought my milk would make up the rest. Long story short, it didn't and DS ended up with more cereal in his diet. He loved the cereal but I wish breastmilk could have made up more of his diet.

I know how you feel, but if the breastfeeding isnt gonna work and you've tried everything, thats all you can do. Don't beat yourself up over something you have no control over. I hope you feel better, and just remember that him getting some BM is a lot better than none.

Edit: I forgot to add the only reason I knew he was so hungry is that he was REALLY fussy to the point where I couldn't put him down for a whole two weeks. I thought he was teething or something. However, when I realized he was just hungry I felt so horrible!

Last edited by tessa1002; 09-28-2006 at 07:46 PM.
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:05 PM   #7
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wish I had some advice, but my daughter is still tiny so I can't say I've been in your place.
But, I read in my Womanly Art of Breastfeeding book that breastfed babies hit a pretty big growth spurt around 6 months, and may have some changes in their nursing patterns and appetite. Think that might be part of what is going on?

Just a thought.

Hugs to you. Hang in there!
Old 09-28-2006, 07:31 PM   #8
MamaMegan
Banned
seller

I think growth spurt might be right on. DD just went through a big one (she only nurses at night when cosleeping and in the AM--- I can't even expres a fraction of an ounce during they day so she gets FF)-- and DS went through one close to 6 months wher ehe was super fussy, not satisfied.

If he'll comfort suck, I say let him. Maybe offer an extra ounce with his supplemental bottle. Or, offer him an ounce, let him nurse as long as he wants, then another two ounces.

((HUGS))

Does he have teeth? That may also be part of his mood change. DD is a Jekyll-Hyde case with her teeth. So sweet and nice, then she'll be screamig like mad.
MamaMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:09 PM   #9
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Most everyone covered everything else I wanted to say except ONE THING...
Both bananas and rice are binding foods (hence the brat diet for diarrhea, bananas rice apples toast)

They could very well have made him fussy!! For my girls the easiest tummy foods were oatmeal, avacodos, peas, and pears.

With my first daughter I had major supply issues but I never supplemented...I should have, instead I gave up at 6 months. I think you're doing good mama. Just resist the urge to make those cereal bottles!
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote