Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-22-2008, 04:46 PM   #11
gatorree
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is This Child Abuse? Should I call CPS?

Please call!!

Advertisement

Old 06-22-2008, 05:01 PM   #12
MommaBunny
10% of Profits Donated to Wildlife
seller

My Mood:

Okay, I called the Child Abuse Hotline (1-800-4-A-CHILD) and they said that in Alabama, it's not abuse unless there are marks or bruises. The operator said I should call local CPS if I see lasting physical evidence of abuse.

There *might* be bruises. Maybe I should call call local CPS anyway. They'll at least make sure that she doesn't have signs of abuse that I haven't seen yet. It's possible that the abuse report, combined with her Failure to Thrive, might get the case re-opened and someone will do something about it.

I'll call the local number during business hours tomorrow. I could call the police, today, though... Hmm.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:10 PM   #13
bama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBunny View Post
Okay, I called the Child Abuse Hotline (1-800-4-A-CHILD) and they said that in Alabama, it's not abuse unless there are marks or bruises.
That's what I thought. See I am just afraid that if he suspects it is you he will come after you. And if there is no bruises CPS won't do anything anyway. Plus he is obviously not afraid of CPS if he has been investigated once and not changed a thing. That's a tough situation! I feel bad for the poor lo's.
bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:11 PM   #14
frogandtoad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I will have to say that CPS may not (or may not be able) to do anything, but at least that family will be on their "watch list" or whatever. What if you hear on the news she was beaten to death (omg, I'm sick just even typing this ... ugh) and you never made that call? I would guess this dad was probably parented the same way and doesn't know any better (hard to believe but true). Cursing and hitting your kids *every* day is just, well, it's wrong.

I am an educator and as such I have a legal OBLIGATION to call if I even "suspect" abuse. At least you can remain anon ...
There are only two lasting bequests we hope to give our children; one is roots, the other wings.

Last edited by frogandtoad; 06-22-2008 at 05:12 PM.
frogandtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #15
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Yeah. I'd still call. I would think that hitting with any sort of object would be illegal. How sad that unless it's leaving a mark...makes me angry!

But, who knows - your call may be *the* call they need to go investigate if someone else has called in the recent past.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #16
addiesmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In the part of Alabama I'm in spanking with a paddle is not abuse. The schools still use a paddle to issue CP. I'm not against spanking but if you feel like he took it too far then you should call.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:36 PM   #17
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He's hitting them in anger, that's abuse. I think even most spanking parents spank for "discipline" whether we agree or not, it's not to harm their child but to teach them. This man is harming them, cursing at them, etc. I don't know... I think if this happens a lot and there's no one around to take up for the kids, I would call. But I'm not there so I can't say 100% for sure.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:22 PM   #18
MommaBunny
10% of Profits Donated to Wildlife
seller

My Mood:

Okay, I'm going to go ahead and call tomorrow, CPS only responds to 911 calls if it's on a weekend or after business hours. I called the national hotline again to clarify a few things, and they said that if he *admits* that he spanks her with a belt, they'll do something about it. The reason that they usually don't do anything unless there are marks is because the parents usually deny it, and in that case, it's just hearsay.

This guy's just arrogant enough that I think he'll openly admit to CPS that he spanks her with a belt. He insists that there's nothing wrong with what he does, and I think he's likely to just pick a fight with the CPS officers. To neighbors and friends, he practically brags about what he does: "There ain't nothin' wrong with me hittin' my daughter, that's how I was raised an' I turned out just fine, did'n I?" ...So I think he's likely to pop that same attitude with CPS. And even without physical bruising or anything, she's so tiny and tends to look unhealthy, so they may see that as a physical sign of neglect. I'll call tomorrow and let you guys know how it goes.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:30 PM   #19
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Good for you mama. I would def let them know. They probably wont take the child out of the house, but a home visit by CPS will let him know that there are people out there that care about those children, and he needs to watch it, or he will lose them. If he gets mad at you just tell him you are doing what is best for the children, and if he hits them again you will call as often as you need to until it stops!
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:31 PM   #20
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i know this isn't easy for you. but you are doing the right thing.