Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-22-2008, 07:38 PM   #21
Karmas Creation
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Is This Child Abuse? Should I call CPS?

I live in Canada - and to my knowledge spanking here is illegal even with a hand.
I would for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
a light spank on the bum is one thing.... but a belt omg what age are we living in and on such a young small child.... CALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement

Marrying the Baby Daddy - Oct 9, 2009
Karmas Creation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:44 PM   #22
normajean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Awful terrible unforgiveable bad parenting. Not abuse.

Side note- Some kids are small. My daughter is almost 7 years old and just weighs 34 lbs. She has a health diagnosis which makes her small. Not to mention none of the women in my family are over 5'3".
Old 06-22-2008, 08:21 PM   #23
Janiceandscott
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just wanted to add that my mom spanked me with a belt and I wish someone had called cps for me when I was that age. I think your doing the right thing.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:55 PM   #24
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

sounds like my entire childhood. i really hope you can do something mama, because trust me, that dad is not going to stop.

is the mother in the picture? if she is, maybe a visit from CPS could be just the wake up call that she needs. if she truly fears that her kids could be taken away from her b/c of his actions, maybe she'll leave him and his abuse behind.

my mom never had the courage to leave my dad, but if she had been afraid that she would lose us, i bet she would have.

and while, of course, my heart goes out to those children, it also goes out to you mama. i can't imagine the effect of hearing that abuse on a regular basis, it would be heartbreaking.
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:08 PM   #25
Kaden's mom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think you are making the right decision to call CPS. They can then make the decision on where to take it. You're being courageous by making the call. I shutter to think about how he treats his kids when no one is around.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:14 PM   #26
andivebeen
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yes, I think you should call.

I hate that stupid arguement "My parents hit me and I turned out fine!..." Uh, no, you're an adult and you're hitting and cussing at a child. You are obviously not "fine." Hitting a 4-yr old is pathetic. Hitting a 1-yr old is sickening WTH is the matter with people!?!

Due with #2 April 2013
andivebeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:30 PM   #27
Rosella
Registered Users
seller

My understanding is that any spanking with any object or item that is not an open hand qualifies as abuse and can be investigated, at the very least. CALL!

We should remember that if a situation cannot be changed, there's no point in worrying about it. If it can be changed, there is no need to worry about it either, we should simply go about changing it. His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama
Rosella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:38 PM   #28
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmas Creation View Post
I live in Canada - and to my knowledge spanking here is illegal even with a hand.
I would for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
a light spank on the bum is one thing.... but a belt omg what age are we living in and on such a young small child.... CALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Spanking is not illegal in Canada. There are pretty strict guidelines on what is permitted and what crosses into child abuse however, and this guy is a child abuser by Canada's standards. No hitting of children under 2 at all, and certainly the only implement allowed is an open hand and not around head or face. That and the spanking must be disciplinary or corrective - you can't just hit a kid out of rage. This guy needs to be taken away from these children.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:52 PM   #29
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

Around here spanking isn't illegal either but spanking with an object is.

IMO YES it's ABUSE! Please call CPS!
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:02 PM   #30
trilla_marion
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yeah I agree that it's just not right to spank with a belt. And yes if the child looks unhealthy and undernourished I understand cps getting involved for her failure to thrive...but my dd is in the 3rd percentile for weight and has had to have monthly weight checks because she dropped off her weight curve. She eats a lot she's just tall and skinny. My DH was only 18 lb at 18 months...and she's at least 20 lb now at 16 months so she's doing better than him. hehe But she also looks healthy and it's clear she is...she's just skinny. I would be beyond pissed to have to deal with cps though just because my child is skinny...so hopefully there's more to it than that.