Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-28-2006, 01:55 PM   #1
tillers72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
St. John's Wart while pregnant?

I have never taken this medication, but was on Paxil before I got pregnant. As soon as there was a sign that I might be pregnant, I quit taking it since it's not safe during pregnancies. We truely were not trying to get pregnant right now, but you know how that goes! Needless to say, it's been since July since I've had any anti-depressant in my systom and I'm really seeing the side effects. I would love to not have to take a pill, but not sure if the St. John's is safe. I was looking at it in tea form, but whatever works right now really! TIA

Advertisement

**we are now in Central Illinois and getting adjusted!**
tillers72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:08 PM   #2
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:
Re: St. John's Wart while pregnant?

I will look up possible things for you to take. Be back in a bit after some searching through my books
Old 09-28-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

I do not think that you can take that while pg orally but I know theres massage oils that contain that that helps w/ pregnancy. ( i make one lol)
Old 09-28-2006, 02:35 PM   #4
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

Ok, the list that I have does NOT have SJW on it

Here is the list of things to ask about first while PG as they may cause miscarriage:

autumn crocus
barberry
goldenseal
juniper
male fern
mandrake
pennyroyal
poke root
rue
sage
southernwood
tansy
thuja
wormwood

Herbs to avoid during PG:

Senna (laxative) and cascara sagrada found in both herbal preparations and over-the-counter drugs. Senna encourages menstruation and may promote miscarriage.

Herbs with high concentrations of the alkaloid berberine, found in goldenseal, barberry, and Oregon grape root, should NOT be used during PG. Historically goldenseal was used to stop postpartum uterine hemorrhage and it does that because it causes strong uterine contractions. Licorice contains estrogen-like substances and is to be avoided during PG. Juniper can harm the fetus and possibly induce a miscarriage.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:06 AM   #5
heidisue
seller
seller

My Mood:

No. Preliminary research has shown probs with St. Johns Wart and pregnancy. I was involved in research on pregnancy and different drugs and we considered doing some further research into St. Johns Wart (there isn't much). I can't remember the exact findings, but I do remember that they hadn't (as of a couple years ago) tested older subjects for long term effects but I believe preliminary studies showed that the weights at birth and apgar scores were lower than average. There were not many controlled studies.

However, if you are feeling the effects of your depression then that needs to be addressed. Paxil isn't a good drug during pregnancy, but there are some SSRI's that are - talk to your doc and she should be able to look it up for you. At the very least they could set you up with a psychologist that might be able to cheer you up until you can go back on the Paxil :-)
heidisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 03:21 AM   #6
mom2zephyr
Registered Users
seller

Please make sure about this one. I don't remember where I read it, but I have seen somewhere you absolutely cannot take while pregnant.

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1348.html
Sylvia : -Mom to 17, 12, 7, 3, #5 in the fall

Last edited by mom2zephyr; 09-30-2006 at 03:26 AM.
mom2zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 04:27 AM   #7
tillers72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you ladies! I hate beig on this emotional rollercoaster. Some days I don't want to get out of bed or do anything, and other days (like today) I'm full of energy and cleaning like crazy! I am calling Mental Health on Monday to get an appt with the doc, and hopefully we will be able to work out something that will keep me more level!

**we are now in Central Illinois and getting adjusted!**
tillers72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:29 PM   #8
xamybethx
B/S/T with Caution!!

I was told Paxil was safe...when I was preggo with DD.

I'm in the same boat. I stopped taking mine when I got preggo with DD and never got back on anything and it's REALLY catching up with me. I was considering asking my OB for something this last visit but then I only have 2 1/2 more months...might as well hold out. It's just hard because I'm ALWAYS tense, I get SO aggravated with DD, etc.

So no real advice just sympathy!

*edit*
I just googled and it looks like paxil and prozac (basically all the ones I was told were safe) they're having doubts about, especially prozac and paxil. That's why I have steered clear, makes me too nervous.

Last edited by xamybethx; 09-30-2006 at 09:33 PM.
xamybethx is offline   Reply With Quote