Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #21
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: suggestions? Little girl afraid of DH

Good luck - I know this is a cliche but time will heal her memories and in time with steady behavior from them, she will begin to build trust!

Mary, Adoptive Mom to 5 HS, WAHM, Wife to SuperMan!!!
"God never sends a thorn in our lives that he doesn't send a rose to bloom.
Check out our 100% natural family and baby soaps, balms, and woolwash bars!!!
mom55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:42 PM   #22
Registered Users
My Mood:
Thumbs up Re: suggestions? Little girl afraid of DH

Originally Posted by Kinrice01 View Post
Hi ladies,

We just received our first fost-adopt placement. I am trying not to get too overly excited as there is always a good chance she will go home to the birth mom. But, we want to do all we can for her while she is with us. She came to us 3 days ago, almost 3 years old, she is doing fine with me in fact she stays close to me and is like my little shadow. But she is so scared of my husband and my oldest son who is 15. There was no known abuse but I am thinking there must've been some. If DH even looks at her or tries to talk to her she shuts down and won't look at him, covers her eyes, hides in the corner, cries, looks downward or too the side, etc... same thing with my DS.

Anyone have any tips on how to break through this without pushing too much? She is so sweet and pretty, I just want my DH to have a chance to bond with her as well.

Let her come to them, have them play games that she will want to play too, they can even try "ignoring" her and let her make the first moves. Mainly be patient and hopefully she will come around to them soon.

I am a foster parent too, it takes time, love and lots of understanding to do this, good luck and God bless your family.

tavi is offline   Reply With Quote