Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-29-2006, 01:55 PM   #1
sesa70
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
someone please talk to me about vaxing! thinking about delayed but lots of ?'s

I know, another vax thread

Well, since Amira came to us through foster care, we had no say in the vax's she got. We did what and when the ped reccomended. I never gave it much thought b/c I had no choice. Now that we have our adoption date set for next week (yes, you heard me, next week!) the decision is now mine and I want to make the best one I can.

The next set of vax's in question are her one year shots where they will want to give mmr, chick pox, 4th dose of prevnar. Then again at 15 months they will want to do hib, hep b #3, and Hep A.

Older dd Celeste has alot of special needs. She doesnt have any immune issues, however she does not do well with illnesses. She is at risk for respiratory complications and any little thing that causes her siezure threshold to be lowered (like a mosquito bite or just the sniffles) will do so and she will almost always have a siezure that is long, difficult to stop, and brings us to the er. So, we do also spend some time in hospitals. Not tons, but some.

That being said, I dont know much about not vaxing or delayed or selective vax's. I would love more info. How do you choose what to vax for and when? I dotn want to put her at risk one way or the either. DH feels that she should get every vax available so she doesnt bring home anything to Celeste. I obviously dont. WE decided to talk about it one vax at a time. I really need help here guys! Thanks

Advertisement

Old 09-29-2006, 02:26 PM   #2
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: someone please talk to me about vaxing! thinking about delayed but lots of ?'s

I just finished reading What you doctor may not tell you about children's vaxes or something like that...it's a GREAT book and I really recommend it to anyone doing any research on vaxes.

That being said...

I'd personally worry more about your younger DD get vaxed and then bringing it home to the other one than about her passing it along from not getting the vaccines. Chicken pox in particular, as the vaccine has been known to cause children to actually have a chicken pox outbreak.

The MMR shot I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Actually, here in VA at a local college, they just had a mumps outbreak. And I believe I read that the person who "started it" had even been vaxed for it. They were going to ban anyone from coming to school who didn't have up-to-date shot records, then realized that even those who were vaxed were getting it, so they decided not to bother. And of course, nobody has died. I personally have a problem with giving something potential harmful to my child for a disease that isn't even life-threatening. Just my though.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 02:37 PM   #3
sesa70
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: someone please talk to me about vaxing! thinking about delayed but lots of ?'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm View Post
I personally have a problem with giving something potential harmful to my child for a disease that isn't even life-threatening. Just my though.

I totally agree with you! That is why I am asking questions, i want to make the right decisions. Celeste did not get her mmr. She got one dose, and reacted so crazy to it I swore no more. I got harrassed for years from her school and pediatrician but finally got a note from her dr. They would not take a religious exemption.

My only issue though is that if Amira did get mm or r or chick pox, it would NOT be life threatening to her, but it very well may be to Celeste. SO of course I worry. She is also in hospitals with us when Celeste is sick, so who knows what she may pick up, kwim? If it was just AMira, she would not get any vax's at all.

So, another question. What is prevnar, why is it given so many times, and what are your thoughts on it?
Old 09-29-2006, 06:16 PM   #4
MrsBreeder
Registered Users

My Mood:

This is a tough one. But, before I give my two cents, I'm going to give a link. I wrote an article recently about people choosing to vac or not vac and why they do so. It also included some interviews with doctors on what they think.

Basically, this is what I got from the interviews: Delaying won't really help anything. Many doctors believe it will leave the child at risk when she is younger. (It has been a LOOONG DAY so sorry if this doesn't make sense.)

Here's the article link: http://www.americanbaby.com/ab/story...3420132804.xml

Here's my opinion: I believe it is a personal choice, but I think that by delaying this child, you will be exposing your older child. We've had the term "herd immunity" thrown about a bunch, that is because vaccines don't always work. So, by vaccing more people, you have a better chance of protecting those who don't get the vaccs (or those for whom it does not "take"). Nothing, including vaccines are 100 percent safe.

I totally understand you wanting to protect your younger daughter, but I guess I'm more of an "all or none" type person. (We vacc.) I just guess that I'd be worried that delaying or abstaining could possibly cause harm to your older child.

Last edited by MrsBreeder; 09-29-2006 at 06:18 PM.
MrsBreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 08:17 PM   #5
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

From Prevnar.com:

"Ask your health care professional about the risks and benefits of Prevnar® and if Prevnar® is right for your child.

In clinical studies, the most frequently reported adverse events included injection site reactions, fever (38ºC/100.4ºF), irritability, drowsiness, restless sleep, decreased appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, and rash.

Risks are associated with all vaccines, including Prevnar®. Hypersensitivity to any vaccine component, including diphtheria toxoid, is a contraindication to its use. Prevnar® does not protect 100% of children vaccinated. "

Prevnar is what is known as the "ear infection" vaccine. It supposedly protects against certain baterial ear infections (although most are viral, anyway). It also claims to protect against meningitus (sorry about the spelling) although it only protects against certain strains of it, and even then, like the website says, the vaccine isn't 100% effective.

I've also read that the meningitus is a big deal for people going to college for some reason, but the length of effectancy on the Prevnar shots generally put them right at the ineffective point as soon as people are old enough to enter college.

I'm remembering most of this from what I've read, so someone please feel free to correct me if I'm misquoting on something. But I think I've pretty much hit the big points.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:18 PM   #6
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:

We don't do prevnar or hep b, and we delay MMR and varicella until school age. DD is on a delayed schedule for DTAP and HIB. So far I've encountered a little resistance, but really if you stand your ground all they'll do is make you sign a waiver for each vax you decline, and that's that.
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 07:27 AM   #7
ecomama7
Registered Users
seller

I recommend this site: http://www.vaccination.inoz.com/default.html Great site. Also, check out the vaccination board on MDC. Great resource as well. We are 100% anti-vax for or many, many reasons.
ecomama7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:06 AM   #8
sesa70
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks to everyone for your advise. DH and I have been discussion this all morning, and have so far decided against any more HIB or prevnar. DH feels stronly about hep b so she will probalby get that as well as polio and dtp. We are still undecided about mmr and chick pox, but leaning towards no, just maybe the varicella.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:35 AM   #9
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

feel free to PM. I'm super tied up with my toddler right now but:

I vaxed DS1 for a year, at 1 he got only one shot and since I knew nothing I said "pick your favorite and I'll come back later for the rest" so he got DTaP.

DS1 now has autism. No proof it was the vax of course, but it is what it is.

We stopped vaxing. It turned out to save my 4th childs life. Literally. He would be dead if we vaxed him and maybe dead if we vaxed his siblings because of the post-vax shedding.

We are under Drs orders not to vax right now, though eventually we'll be allowed and probably encouraged to do vaxes made with killed viruses in the other kids.

IMO MMR and DTaP are 2 biggest threats to your child. I'll take those diseases over their vaxes even in my severely immunocompromised child any day.

Hepatitis shot: a very convincing arguement is that I know a mom who ex is hep + and she chose NOT to vax her kids who spend weekends w/ him. She lived w/ him being + for years and finds living w/ the disease much more palatable than the vax and its risks/side effects.

I wish noone vaxed until age 2yrs and then did one at a time ONLY on children with NO symptoms at all at the time (no colds, rashes, earaches, or other "little things"). Waiting 2 years allow the immune system to reach 80% of its maturity before you start challenging it with toxins etc in the vaccines.

These are ONLY my opinions and I applaud you for "looking before you leap" whatever you decide its good to think first.

Sorry but I need to run.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:07 PM   #10
GrandIsp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have also heard that a child who has been recently vaxed (in the last 2 weeks?) can expose an unvaxed child to the illness (because they are carrying the live virus from the vax). So, either way children are at risk - vaxed or unvaxed - in various ways.

As for us, we have been walking the fence on most vaxes. I am skeptical of medincine overall, and also work with kids with autism, so I'm very skeptical of vaxes. Not saying I am right, but it's hard to separate your emotions from the questionable research out there right now. We did NOT do Hep B (my understanding is that this would be for someone whose mother had it at time of delivery, or someone who is sexually active or maybe an IV drug user? - probably not your DD right now!). We did the first 3 DTaPs (we had an outbreak of pertussis in our area at the time so were bamboozled into it) and we also did Polio because we travel overseas and some countries/areas are seeing polio right now. We did not do Chicken pox (and will not), no MMR as yet, and we won't even consider that until after age 2 or 3 (DS is 16 months). We will not be doing Prevnar at all ( I can't find a good reason to do this), and we did one Hib because DS was going to be around kids for one month, but we probably won't finish the series of this. My son is not in daycare, though, nor does he get a ton of exposure to other kids, and he has no siblings.

I honestly can't say that there is a good answer to vaxes, and the available facts and research is difficult to sort through, but it's good you're discussing and Ihope you'll come toa decision you feel good about!