Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-23-2008, 05:52 AM   #1
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
UPDATE: 1st POST:Anyone not do well baby visits from the beginning?

Okay, I have an appointment set up with a new pediatrician on Thursday at 9:45 PM for a "checkup" for DS and to also just see if I like her at all for both DS #1 and DS #2 coming on Monday!! Say a prayer, wish me luck/send me whatever positive vibes that you have that even if she doesn't agree with me she'll respect my decision to delay vaccines It would be nice to have a good relationship with a pediatrician so I'm hoping this will be it!! This will #3!!

I would love to hear input from mamas who didn't or don't really do well baby visits. Our second DS is scheduled to meet us next Monday!! Yay!!

And since I'm delaying vaccines until 2 years old [on the fence of not doing them at all]...I'm wondering if I REALLY need to go to these. I vaxed David until he was 6 months old and honestly that was the biggest part of the baby visits. They just weighed him, measured, felt around and vaxed. And now I don't take him to the doctor unless he's really sick [we try to do homeopathy first]. And I wasn't really sure if they could actually call CPS on me for not taking my son to the doctor, although I'm almost positive that it is my right as a parent to accept or refuse medical care on mine or my child's behalf.

Soooooooo...WDYT? WWYD? I just can't seem to find a pediatrician that I really like and most GPs won't take children until about 2 years of age around here. I just figured...why even go through the fight again about not vaxing.

Thanks in advance mamas!

Advertisement

Last edited by Terra; 06-24-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:58 AM   #2
pbresolin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone not do well baby visits from the beginning?

I haven't gone to any well baby visits yet because I'm afraid that I will be pressured into vaxing (we haven't done any vaxing yet and she is 7 mo). DD has been healthy. I am a little concerned, though, about what will happen if she gets sick. I want to hear other comments on this too.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:04 AM   #3
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbresolin View Post
I haven't gone to any well baby visits yet because I'm afraid that I will be pressured into vaxing (we haven't done any vaxing yet and she is 7 mo). DD has been healthy. I am a little concerned, though, about what will happen if she gets sick. I want to hear other comments on this too.
This is my thing too. Although I've heard that in this case you can always just take them to an Urgent Care type facility and they generally don't ask a bunch of in depth questions.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:04 AM   #4
ethansemi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Non here.. we went when #1 DS ws three days old....I said "never again" it was crazy...I knew what I was doing (not vaxing which the doc was fine with) but the nurses were mean. I was so stressed, crying etc that I thought the was worse for my health then it was productive for him!!
Old 06-23-2008, 06:19 AM   #5
Terra
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethansemi View Post
Non here.. we went when #1 DS ws three days old....I said "never again" it was crazy...I knew what I was doing (not vaxing which the doc was fine with) but the nurses were mean. I was so stressed, crying etc that I thought the was worse for my health then it was productive for him!!
I'm so sorry the nurses were like that mama! They were like that with me too with David when we did go. And even trying to tell me "Oh you HAVE to get vaccinations or he won't be able to go to school." I kept telling them NO, I can file a religious exemption...and they kept saying "No you can't"...Ugghhh.....seriously....it was very annoying and stressful!
Old 06-23-2008, 06:24 AM   #6
LKWMeg
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well since I'm a first time Mommy, I have to say that I go to all of mine, but after my son and I picked up a NASTY NASTY cold bug at our last appt I'm reconsidering! (I hadn't been sick in over 6 months and he had never been sick!)
LKWMeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:17 AM   #7
Terra
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKWMeg View Post
Well since I'm a first time Mommy, I have to say that I go to all of mine, but after my son and I picked up a NASTY NASTY cold bug at our last appt I'm reconsidering! (I hadn't been sick in over 6 months and he had never been sick!)
YES!! That is another thing... I swear DS would get sick everytime AFTER we went to a well baby visit! One time I remember the nurse even coming out into the waiting room and giving everyone who was coughing masks because I had my little newborn in there!! YIKES! [I mean I'm glad she was cautious, but goodness, it sucks to be healthy and then go the doctor's office and get sick!]
Old 06-23-2008, 07:29 AM   #8
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

I personally prefer to do the well visits -- but at a doctor who is truly no-pressure re: vaxes. I had a superb one where I used to live, but we've recently moved, and I've not found the doc here yet

My reasoning is that even if we weren't getting shots, the doc is still checking on other things, and equally importantly in my mind, I want proof on paper that I took her to every single doc visit she was supposed to go to, in case the selective/delayed vaxing ever turned into some crazy legal issue for whatever reason. Unlikely, but I wouldn't want anyone to be able to claim neglect because I didn't take her to well visits. JMO.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:52 AM   #9
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatLinGirl View Post
I personally prefer to do the well visits -- but at a doctor who is truly no-pressure re: vaxes. I had a superb one where I used to live, but we've recently moved, and I've not found the doc here yet

My reasoning is that even if we weren't getting shots, the doc is still checking on other things, and equally importantly in my mind, I want proof on paper that I took her to every single doc visit she was supposed to go to, in case the selective/delayed vaxing ever turned into some crazy legal issue for whatever reason. Unlikely, but I wouldn't want anyone to be able to claim neglect because I didn't take her to well visits. JMO.
Same here & we don't vax. Also, I feel it is important to develop a relationship w/ your ped so that when you do need to see him, he'll know you & your kids. Even though my kids are very rarely sick (in fact, I think the last time Gavin went for a non well-baby visit was when he was 2 - he's now 5), when we do go in he knows that we prefer natural remedies, want to avoid abx if possible, etc. I'm not a doctor, so I want to make sure my kids occasionally see one so he can look out for anything unusual. I get checkups w/ my GP, why wouldn't my kids?

Last edited by kezoo; 06-23-2008 at 11:35 AM.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:19 AM   #10
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

I was really really conflicted on this for several reasons. Here's what I decided:

we got a GREAT homeopath that I take my kids to once a year. The baby will go every 6 months until she hits 2. We aren't vaxing. Reason I decided on having a pedi and doing visits once a year is just that I want a pedi on file just in case the poo hits the fan. CPS visits due to non-vaxing are common as is "medical neglect" charges. I want the record to show that we see Dr. K every year and I AM pro-active about my kids' health, we just choose not to do vaccines. Also, I have a religious exemption for the oldest who is in school and for the younger two I have a written and notarized letter I carry in my diaper bag stating:

To Whom It May Concern:

I, Megan T____, as the parent of Madyson S, Sara T, and Grace T, am exercising my rights under the First Amendment of the US Constitution, R.I. Gen. Laws 23-13-14 and, Rhode Island Rule: Sec. 3. 3. 1 to recieve Religious Exemption from Vaccinations, ALL injections, and testing.
Applicable law has been interpreted to mean that a religious belief is subject to protection given though no religious group espouses such beliefs of the fact that the religious group to which the individual professes to belong may not advocate or require such belief. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as amended Nov. 1, 1980, Part 1605. 1-Guidelines on Discrimination Because of Religion.

Sincerely,

And there I feel like I am keeping myself safe from persecution due to non-vaxing along with the pedi on record with my insurance company and my children having medical files with him. It's not hard. www.909shot.com has more information on letters like mine that you can personalize and keep with you. It's important to obtain an exemption or carry this letter to keep yourself safe if you choose not to do well child visits.